Chiller kicking in every 10mins.

Hi guys it's me again asking about chillers. I hope I'm not irritating anyone. I got a 2nd hand Resun cl650 chiller and it's kicking in every 10mins. Temp set at 28. Another prob is that the fan is making some noise and black residue found at the back of the chiller. Nonetheless, the chiller can cool down my tank quite efficiently. Can anyone advise on what to do? Thanks

• SRC Member

You recently got the chiller?

if its a recently gt one wait a few days maybe 2-3 days and you will be able to see that the chiller kicks in lesser

not sure whats the theory behind it but thats what happened to me :thumbsup:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

Maybe you might want to clean it up first. If the ventilation fins are trap with dust and such it may let the chiller work harder. try to monitor these few days and if the problem still persist you may want to consider a controller.

• SRC Member

What kind of residue?

Clean fin of chiller to allow air ventilate better.

Try not to place chiller too near to the wall so as to allow air from the back to pass.

What's the temp of tank without chiller? Coz if water too warm or get warm very fast,this show the reason y your chiller kicks in so frequently :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Fins clean, residue is black in colour, looks like plastic. Temp without chiller is 29 to 31. My setup is such a way that the cooled water is returned to the sump. Would returning it to the main tank help? I heard of an external sensor/thermometer to be connected to the chiller to get temp reading from main tank instead of water drawn from sump. Can you teach me how it is done? Thanks:)

• SRC Member

U can even check with people who is using the same chiller as yours to c if it's normal to kick in so frequent?

Another way to check out with the service center. :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

It's unusual for chiller to kick in every 10 mins, showing signs that prob your chiller internal temp sensor is faulty cos tank temp shdn't rise so fast, unless you're using strong MH. Possible that your chiller was cut off when it didn't chill your tank water to 28 degrees, but the internal temp sensor read 28 degrees. That's why you think your chiller can chill the water so fast, but after 10 mins, it kicks in again. Try to get an external thermometer to measure your tank temp when your chiller cuts off at 28 degrees and see if both tally.

It's recommended to use external sensor/temp controller for accurate reading, your chiller will not kick in so often and that reduces your electricity bills as well. I think there are a few threads discussing on external temp sensor (the brand is Fox), it's very easy to use, you either DIY or get the chiller/air-con shop to make one for you at around three blue notes.

Hope this info helps.