Advise on 2 x 1 x 1.5

whq

How's that?

Sorry missed a sentence, water evaporation changes the water level. So if water level is low (i do not have auto top-up system) there will be a water-fall effect at the return flow due the the gap of the water surface and the outlet.

Tank setup

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (3 way viewing)

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao dosing pump (Fauna Marine Lite balling - Thinking)

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Upgrading in Process.....

More infomation coming soon!

• SRC Member

Agreed, but it's not a very serious problem. I actually use this visual cue to remind myself to top-up my office tank.

On the other hand, an IOS tank will keep water level in your main tank constant, while the last IOS compartment water will drop due to evaporation. And it usually drops more drastically due to its smaller capacity. When its level drops near your return pump, you'll get massive micro-bubbles. I use IOS tank at home & monitor water level in this compartment on a daily basis.

Agreed, but it's not a very serious problem. I actually use this visual cue to remind myself to top-up my office tank.

On the other hand, an IOS tank will keep water level in your main tank constant, while the last IOS compartment water will drop due to evaporation. And it usually drops more drastically due to its smaller capacity. When its level drops near your return pump, you'll get massive micro-bubbles. I use IOS tank at home & monitor water level in this compartment on a daily basis.

Thanks Tunicate this give me a good idea. I will just stuff my skimmer in on side of my main compartment since water will be constant. The IOS will be good to put all my media like carbon, etc. And some sponges for big matter in the tank.

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

• SRC Member

... I will just stuff my skimmer in on side of my main compartment since water will be constant. ...

Sounds good as long as your Tunze do not emit microbubbles into the main tank.

Oh, one more thing about overflow. Filter sock has been gaining popularity among many of us. Try to have an overflow that can fit in one instead of the regular filter wool tray would be good. :thumbsup:

Sounds good as long as your Tunze do not emit microbubbles into the main tank.

Oh, one more thing about overflow. Filter sock has been gaining popularity among many of us. Try to have an overflow that can fit in one instead of the regular filter wool tray would be good. :thumbsup:

My tunze is currently in my nano cube tank, so far never observed any micro bubbles. Yesterday, contacted another tank maker with my 3 compartment sump, they seem to be able to build the sump to my preference. If that materialised, i can hide the skimmer in my sump area as planned.

Thought about using filter sock but fitting it into a internal sump will be tricky. Thought of using pipes for the overflow where the flow straight to the middle of the sump where the sock can be attached below. However might afraid that the flow of water into the IOS is slower or restricted. Do you have any idea in mind on how it can be designed?

post-18020-090247200 1290134969_thumb.pn

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

• SRC Member

ok, this is what I can visualize to mod the overflow compartment of your IOS for filter sock use.

I have a filter sock purchased from Iwarna, & it measures 10cm in diameter on the plastic rim. So you need a pipe about 17.5inches length and diameter about 10.5cm (so long as you can fit in the filter sock). "Don't ask me where to buy this." :whistle

(1) Cut multiple silts at one end of your pipe for overflow. (Length of your slits determine water level in your main tank.)

(2) Drill 4 little holes about an inch below yours silts for plastic screws. (They're seats for your filter socks.)

(3) This overflow pipe connects to your 2nd glass compartment via a PVC tank connector about an inch off the bottom. So you need to drill holes on both this pipe as well as the glass on your skimmer compartment. If you think your skimmer body is going to block water outlet from the tank connector, drill some holes on the tank connector to allow water to escape sideways.

(4) You'll need to silicon the base of the pipe onto your main tank just like the baffles of your IOS glass.

You now not only filter via sock, but also increased the size of your 2nd & 3rd compartment making them more accessible for regular maintenance.

Below is a sketch.

5189798716_32b6a2c0ee_b.jpg

• SRC Member

One more point, the hole between 1st & 2nd compartment should be larger than the return hole in 3rd compartment.

I.e. In below diagram, if hole "B" is 0.5 inch, then hole "A" should be about 0.75 inch in size.

This is to ensure water flow smoothly from 1st into 2nd when your return pump starts drawing water.

5191301768_719e2c91af_b.jpg

One more point, the hole between 1st & 2nd compartment should be larger than the return hole in 3rd compartment.

I.e. In below diagram, if hole "B" is 0.5 inch, then hole "A" should be about 0.75 inch in size.

This is to ensure water flow smoothly from 1st into 2nd when your return pump starts drawing water.

5191301768_719e2c91af_b.jpg

Thanks Tunicate,

This is good details, i get what you mean. But was wondering if there will be alot of dead spot within the tank around the round piping. Do you think if there is any chance i can make the round filter sock into a square (is the ring refoldable? so might be able to stuff it at the over flow) Really appreciate all the effort you put into coming out with the blue print

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker