Advise on 2 x 1 x 1.5

whq

Currently planning upgrade my 1ft cube to The above size. Reusing all my equip like tunze 9002, maxspec 60w and maybe iceprobe (looking at upgrade to maybe a 1/10 or 1/15 chiller). The main concern is to fit my existing stand 2 x 1ft standard metal stand, keep tank simple/neat and a ios design that is not have fluctuating water level (for tunze 9002).

Therefore hope there is any bro that can advise me on the ios that has compartment with constant water level where I could put my skimmer. Many thanks

Tank setup

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (3 way viewing)

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao dosing pump (Fauna Marine Lite balling - Thinking)

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Upgrading in Process.....

More infomation coming soon!

• SRC Member

There's limited LR scaping you can do on a 1ft width tank. I'd say reuse your 1ft cube & convert it into a sump.

Then get...maybe a 1.5ft cube with built-in overflow to the sump. Hide all the equipment plus the noise they generate in the sump cabinet. It's a much neater setup in the long run.

Thank Peacemaker. May i ask what is baffles? is it the shorter glass panel? Also can I check what is your tank dimension (for 2 x 1 x 1.5 the shop say hard to make 3 compartment as hand hard to go in, I am puzzled)? Any idea what is your water height in the centre compartment (thinking of putting my tunze 9002 there)? Thanks again and sorry for these bombardment.

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

There's limited LR scaping you can do on a 1ft width tank. I'd say reuse your 1ft cube & convert it into a sump.

Then get...maybe a 1.5ft cube with built-in overflow to the sump. Hide all the equipment plus the noise they generate in the sump cabinet. It's a much neater setup in the long run.

Thanks Tunicate, that is definitely the best way to setup a tank (love to). Unfortunately i am pretty restricted as I have a metal stand (do not like to see piping running around. No plans of changing to cabinet now as i will be moving to new house soon, so waiting till then). So if i could compress everything into the main tank, that will be great for time being. Yes scaping will be a challenge due to the width :)

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

• SRC Member

It is very challenging for the tank maker to make baffles (yes, these are the shorter glass panels that direct the flow of water. Imagine a maze.) in a 1ft width. My previous tank width is 1.5 ft, and therefore, I can still have approx. 4" for both the filter and the return compartments, leaving the rest for fuge space in the middle (in your case, constant water level for your tunze9002).

Btw, Ice-Probe is not powerful enough to cool a 2 ft tank. Tried and tested.

It is very challenging for the tank maker to make baffles (yes, these are the shorter glass panels that direct the flow of water. Imagine a maze.) in a 1ft width. My previous tank width is 1.5 ft, and therefore, I can still have approx. 4" for both the filter and the return compartments, leaving the rest for fuge space in the middle (in your case, constant water level for your tunze9002).

Btw, Ice-Probe is not powerful enough to cool a 2 ft tank. Tried and tested.

Thanks. I do not have any experience in IOS design (currently first tank with ios), wondering if my idea will work. Will this be able to maintain water level at the left compartment (doubt it can maintain water level right)?

Ya have a strong feeling iceprobe will not work too :) Looking at chiller now :)

post-18020-031669100 1289576654_thumb.pn

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

I am thinking this might work and quite feasible for tank maker to make too. Any idea if this is possible? But think microbubbles will be a big big problem

post-18020-007222400 1289576943_thumb.pn

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Any way to address/avoid the problem? headache haha... Thinking of lowering the left panel just enough for tunze 9002. lower height also = less waterfall effect

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Take note, hiding your pump/skimmer inside the tank, will eventually create a lot of heat.

your Ice-prode might/might not work, you need a chiller if you want coral set-up.

Trust me, the temp can shoot up to 30 during longweekend in my office.

However, i had a fan running 24/7. This will however create evaporation problem.

You will need a chiller.

Thanks both for input:) yup chiller is in my to get list now. Hopefully can get hold a 2nd hand arctica or teco 1/10 chiller. The hang on back idea is good however it is abit messy especially with my lousy diy skill haha. Will probably have leak here and there. So main aim is everything into tank maybe with exception to chiller.

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Thanks Tench1,

May I know who is ur tank maker? Also is the 3 compartment inclusive of 2 ios chamber and main tank (as what u say as display). Wondering how is ur ios design like or anything u want to improve on ur ios? Thanks again

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

As per bro Peacemaker has suggested, below link is my office hang-on filter where I DIY a skimmer into it. You'd just need to find a larger hang-on filter to accommodate your Tunze9002.

Thanks Bro,

Will try looking around for a HOB that is higher interms of height. if not have to cut and add a big container behind, which will be very tricky (to hold that properly due to weight of water and the skimmer)

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Thanks. The dimension is good, seems to be able to fit the skimmer properly. But sourcing for this seems hard. Have not seen this before in most LFS. Will try looking around

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Thanks Tench1,

May I know who is ur tank maker? Also is the 3 compartment inclusive of 2 ios chamber and main tank (as what u say as display). Wondering how is ur ios design like or anything u want to improve on ur ios? Thanks again

As mentioned in my message to you, Tank Maker - YongHua.

Nope, i am pretty happy with the size. no need to improve further for a simple tank.

As mentioned in my message to you, Tank Maker - YongHua.

Nope, i am pretty happy with the size. no need to improve further for a simple tank.

Sorry bro, abit blur these day. Did not realise i asked that question 2 times. Thanks for input. Seems like there is a couple ways to go about customizing the tank. If i am getting the ecosystem setup, it seems redundant to make a ios in the tank. Will have to see what can the tank maker do :)

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

no Prob dude. The tank Maker can do any design, so long as you pay for it. :)

Its all up to you, on what kinda system you want your tank to be.

If you go for barebottom, having an under IOS can be good.

If you prefer ecosystem setup, consider carefully with regards to the space issue.

Ic will talk to the tank maker see what is feasible too:) preferably a tank that is not bare bottom. 2" sand will be gd as I have some gobies. Ecosystem seems gd, but still prefer things to be all in tank.

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

• SRC Member

After looking at the Eco-system HOB refugium pic, I notice it uses an inverted U-shape tube to siphon water from main tank into refugium. I feel that this design is risky as the siphon make break causing the return pump in the refugium to run dry eventually. Comparatively, a HOB filter box design is still more reliable as its pump is used to draw water from main tank, then overflowing back. In addition, its pump is mount under the filter thus contributing less heat to the water. If you're to engage a tank maker to customize it, this design would be more reliable.

After looking at the Eco-system HOB refugium pic, I notice it uses an inverted U-shape tube to siphon water from main tank into refugium. I feel that this design is risky as the siphon make break causing the return pump in the refugium to run dry eventually. Comparatively, a HOB filter box design is still more reliable as its pump is used to draw water from main tank, then overflowing back. In addition, its pump is mount under the filter thus contributing less heat to the water. If you're to engage a tank maker to customize it, this design would be more reliable.

Agree bro. Might ask tank maker to fabricate something that attached to the back. But do not really like the how the water return from the HOB (water evaporation always tend to introduce some microbubbles.

Tank setup

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker