SPS turning brown

Humilis need very low nutrients and very high light to colour up nicely

Having direct current will indeed blow off sps tissue but only if it is very close. If I have a wake maker blowing direct at a sps at the other side of the tank (depending on how big your tank is, lets say 4 ft), the tissue wont get blown off, but your sps will start to grow funny as it will follow the direction of flow. I once had a digitata that grew downwards :P

Oh, and since i havent been reefing for almost 3 years, I'm just wondering?? Dont you guys use phosphates remove like rowaphos and such anymore?

Yes bro decentkid, we are still using phosphate removal stuff like rowaphos. Cept that now in the market there are more than one method to remove phosphate. Instead of rowaphos, you have like NP biopellets, Prodibio and zeovit methods etc. Similarly we also have unconventional method like vodka and sugar dosing to remove phos and nitrates. In short, we lump them up and call them bacteria/carbon dosing phos removal methods (:

However, after threading over to vodka and back, I still prefer using phosphate removal stuff like rowa except I am using the brand Aqualight. Equally good and less aggressive than bacteria/carbon dosing methods (: SPS still can turn out nice and pretty (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

my take on vodka is that it works! if you have patience and time of course.

it took me a few months to finally get my nitrates to stay at 0 however phosphates seem to take longer. vodka didn't seem to lower my phosphate level as effectively as rowaphos or phosban.

there is a thread under the sps section on rc on brown sps revival. so far the general idea is that it either takes a long time to happen or it doesn't at all. however there are a few fine examples there from brown out colonies to drooling gems :)

my take on vodka is that it works! if you have patience and time of course.

it took me a few months to finally get my nitrates to stay at 0 however phosphates seem to take longer. vodka didn't seem to lower my phosphate level as effectively as rowaphos or phosban.

there is a thread under the sps section on rc on brown sps revival. so far the general idea is that it either takes a long time to happen or it doesn't at all. however there are a few fine examples there from brown out colonies to drooling gems :)

hahaha yea i think vodka can work! but then again, the catch on it is the balance. If I am to choose between vodka, zeovit and prodibio, I think I will go with prodibio then zeovit then vodka (:

Yep, so far the general idea is that brown sps will not come back so fast or that well. BUT if you really are patient and provide the best for your sps, I am sure it will return.

I have a friend whose idea on brown/almost dead sps is "So long as it is not dead and the tissue is still there, whether got little polyp extension or not, the sps will always be able to come back alive" so far, I have seen him doing such miracles. lol :P

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

where can i read more about prodibio and zeovit?

Can please direct me ?

Btw what salt do most of SPS keepers use?

You just go RC and search. Plenty of threads on those 2 issue (:

And salt wise, alot of people use Tropic Marin, Instant Ocean, Red Sea Coral Pro and D-D H20. Depends on how deep your pocket can go and buy accordingly. The guideline is once you have affixed a salt on your tank, don't change it (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.