Water Cycling Questions

• SRC Member

As above, why? Why the need for cycling the saltwater/seawater for 3 days?

I've been told and been doing it BUT forgot to ask this question.. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

3 days? Never heard of that before. Even if it is referring to the nitrogen cycle, 3 weeks is more likely than 3 days.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
3 days? Never heard of that before. Even if it is referring to the nitrogen cycle, 3 weeks is more likely than 3 days.

I dun know about complicated setup or what nitrogen cycle.. mine's just a 1 feet simple setup with 4 fishes. I took 3 days for cycling the water and that's it.. fishes are fine...

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

gd luck

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

It takes time for ammonia to accumulate to dangerous levels. It all depends on the volume of water in your tank to dilute the ammonia.

For instance...if your tank is like 200 gallons...you can add in a blenny while your tank is cycling slowly and nothing much would occur cause the ammonia the blenny produce is diluted many many times.

If your tank is like 2 ft...hoho..good luck to your fish.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I dun know about complicated setup or what nitrogen cycle.. mine's just a 1 feet simple setup with 4 fishes. I took 3 days for cycling the water and that's it.. fishes are fine...

1' tank with 4 fishes n only cycled for 3 days? :pinch:

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

• SRC Member

NET OUT UR FISH IMMEDIATELY! Even if your LR is cured, you will still have a substantial amount of die off which will take some time to rot and turn into toxic ammonia. NItrifying bacteria has to colonise your LR and other(if any) surfaces provided for it to break down the ammonia into nitrite and eventually nitrate. Having fishes in your tank during cycling will put them under serious stress and even though they might be hardy species, There is a high chance of them dying. Get test kits for NH4 NO3 and NO2 test your levels every two days to check levels. Once cycle is over, you should get 0 or negligible readings for ammonia and nitrite and maybe a little prescence of nitrate. Get some macro algae to absorb the nitrate. They take it in as nitrogen supplements essential for their growth. MAN you should do much more research before u even start.

Live and Let Live