Dosing of potassium

Hi all

I would like to seek some help here. I just got Potassium test kit and found it on low side ~300. Not sure is this reason why some purple on Monti digitata and lengsy fade off. So I decide to dose potassium.

Currently I use ultralith for ULNS anyone know can be mixed with additive from zeovit like K+ or any another brand to recommend.

Thanks in advance

Tank Spec :

Display tank : 48" x 24" x 18."'(H)

Sump tank : 25" x 23" x 18"(H)

Return pump : Reef Octopus 8000

Wave Maker : Vortech MP10Wes

Lighting : DIY LED (Cree led) 60 bulb

Chiller : helia 55hs

Skimmer : BM Curve 7

Controller : Reef Angel

Hi all

I would like to seek some help here. I just got Potassium test kit and found it on low side ~300. Not sure is this reason why some purple on Monti digitata and lengsy fade off. So I decide to dose potassium.

Currently I use ultralith for ULNS anyone know can be mixed with additive from zeovit like K+ or any another brand to recommend.

Thanks in advance

Ultra Easy K has clear instructions which is important.

1ml/100L to raise 3.5mg K

1ml/gallon to raise 90mg K.

Recommended not to increase more than 42mg/L per day.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Have never check my potassium before...isit important :shock: ?

What I understand is lack of potassium lead to loss of blue and purple intensity in sps reduce in grow rate.

So I see purple in some sps drop so decide to try to boost up potassium. Now I decide to go for ultra easy K. I will slowly increase as overdose can kill all coral also.

Tank Spec :

• SRC Member

Currently I am tinkering with Potassium as well. Yes I do believe what was mentioned, it does help with the intensification of Blues, purples and most prevalent is it helps with Reds/Pinks. It is also mentioned in various sources that Monticaps benefit from Potassium dosing as well. It helps them to intensify their colors.

I think what is also important is that Iodide be dosed as the same time, Iodide also helps with the blue coloration from what is mentioned on various websites and what I observed. groupwavereversed.gif

A website color optimisation and trace element dosing that is widely quoted:

http://www.shadowram...ps-colorization

Potassium seems to be deficient systems which uses Zeolite minerals as its mentioned that Zeolite is a ion exchange material that is suspected to bind up K+ as well. There's a discussion on RC something back.

http://www.reefcentr...=dose+potassium

Hope you guys find this useful! cheers.gif

In my case what I observed not just fead off of purple on moti (both digitata and cap) Specialy for one of my lengsy frag at rim it look like it rotten. Not sure is it like so since K was low from the test so I dose it try to bring back to optimum level.

For iodine I currently followed balling light with Ultra trace.

One more question. From Zeovit I saw 2 product that related to Potassium (K balance and Potassium iodine). Anyone know what is diff. After read brife explain it seem to do same think to improve blue and purple color.

Tank Spec :

I see. As confusing part are there is iodine concentrate and the Potassium iodine for both dosing iodine but set difference in usage.

Tank Spec :

• SRC Member

dosing potassium iodide, potassium sulphate or potassium chloride is still adding potassium ions into your water.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

dosing potassium iodide, potassium sulphate or potassium chloride is still adding potassium ions into your water.

:agreed:

but i don't think it gives the effect that sps keepers are looking for from potassium. just to quote an sps colour guide,

Reds/Pinks and some Purples

Primarily for coloring reds and pinks in Montiporas, Pocilloporas, Birdsnest, other Stys and Seriatoporas. The supplement is Potassium (not potassium iodide). If you are using a high potassium salt mix such as Oceanic, Tropical Marine Pro and you are doing regular water changes, you are more than likely not going to need to supplement this much.

• SRC Member

Chemically dosing potassium iodide will add potassium ions as well, as mentioned by LaW. I think u do not dose each other in the replacement of each other cause u can't dose potassium to the required level by just potassium iodide alone as that would lead to an iodide overdose.

• SRC Member

Chemically dosing potassium iodide will add potassium ions as well, as mentioned by LaW. I think u do not dose each other in the replacement of each other cause u can't dose potassium to the required level by just potassium iodide alone as that would lead to an iodide overdose.

strongly agreed.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||