5ft Shallow Marine Tank

PROX

Pros:

1) Sturdy and nicely finish module

2) Very bright - especially with new generation Cree XML.

3) Module comes with small LCD screen to provide temperature information and LED intensity (in 4 grouping namely A, B, C, D)

4) Passive cooling with optional active cooling (fan included) - Can set fan to kick-in from 40-60c in 5c incremental.

5) 3 types of lens provided (40, 70 and 100 degree). You can mix-match to your own preference.

6) Lens and LED emitter can be easily replaced. 4 plastic screws to hold the bottom plastic plate cover.

7) Tilt-able module

8 ) Controller communicates with each module via wireless connection (up to 16 modules).

9) Preset configuration - Automatic, Dawn/Dusk, Weather, Cloud. Alternatively, you can opt for manual configuration (you can save up to 2 manual configurations if I am not mistaken)

10) Able to update controller firmware and download your friend configuration via mini USB port (I need to confirm this again)

11) Modular design

12) Less energy consumption compare to MH/T5 – 60W per module.

13) Less heat radiation. LED does generate heat but it is not radiated to surrounding. (Hope I explained this correctly).

14) Long life span.

Cons:

1) Modular frame (~4 frame tube) will slightly bend if support more than 3 fixtures.

2) In my opinion, ball joint might become loose if tilt too much (I have yet to test this and don’t wish to test it out too).

3) Plastic screw holding the controller to the alluminium plate lose its thread quickly after few rounds of screw/unscrew. (Should provide metal screw instead of plastic)

4) 2 cable clip per unit. Could have provided with 4? After all this is not expensive.

5) Power cable quite thick/big. Visible cable running along the rail and not so nice especially having more than 2 modules.

6) Controller button quite hard to press and it is expensive. For the price, should have provided touch sensitive button.

7) Hanging kit not so easy to adjust height. Coated stainless steel cable makes it harder to move up/down the holding metal joint.

Pros:

1) Sturdy and nicely finish module

2) Very bright - especially with new generation Cree XML.

3) Module comes with small LCD screen to provide temperature information and LED intensity (in 4 grouping namely A, B, C, D)

4) Passive cooling with optional active cooling (fan included) - Can set fan to kick-in from 40-60c in 5c incremental.

5) 3 types of lens provided (40, 70 and 100 degree). You can mix-match to your own preference.

6) Lens and LED emitter can be easily replaced. 4 plastic screws to hold the bottom plastic plate cover.

7) Tilt-able module

8 ) Controller communicates with each module via wireless connection (up to 16 modules).

9) Preset configuration - Automatic, Dawn/Dusk, Weather, Cloud. Alternatively, you can opt for manual configuration (you can save up to 2 manual configurations if I am not mistaken)

10) Able to update controller firmware and download your friend configuration via mini USB port (I need to confirm this again)

11) Modular design

12) Less energy consumption compare to MH/T5 – 60W per module.

13) Less heat radiation. LED does generate heat but it is not radiated to surrounding. (Hope I explained this correctly).

14) Long life span.

Cons:

1) Modular frame (~4 frame tube) will slightly bend if support more than 3 fixtures.

2) In my opinion, ball joint might become loose if tilt too much (I have yet to test this and don’t wish to test it out too).

3) Plastic screw holding the controller to the alluminium plate lose its thread quickly after few rounds of screw/unscrew. (Should provide metal screw instead of plastic)

4) 2 cable clip per unit. Could have provided with 4? After all this is not expensive.

5) Power cable quite thick/big. Visible cable running along the rail and not so nice especially having more than 2 modules.

6) Controller button quite hard to press and it is expensive. For the price, should have provided touch sensitive button.

7) Hanging kit not so easy to adjust height. Coated stainless steel cable makes it harder to move up/down the holding metal joint.

Bro,

Good piece of information...very tempting for me to switch.... do u think the control unit reach the sump if I decide to install one module below in addition to the rest on top of the tank?? ;)

fts-022012.JPG

The controller just need to be connected to any module via "Y" cable. It is using wireless connection to communicate with all the modules (max 16).

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. Basically you want to install 1 module on display tank and 1 module above the sump? If yes, you are able to use controller to control both units.

very nice set up prox. :) Looks very yummy indeed!!!! would be great if you could take a full tank shot with the lights :)

I'm waiting for yr FTS under ORPHEK Advanced LED too :yahoo: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• 2 months later...

Very long no update..

Cedric - as requested :)

6464667885_f45db10572.jpg

Right side

6464660985_ee26bc5eee.jpg

Left side

6464660999_ce6a42db8f.jpg

Front side - the wavemaker has been relocated to the side.

6464661027_c8d1444dfd.jpg

Brown slime/dust after 2 weeks of Zeovit dosing

6464661055_7b98ae6bfd.jpg

After 1month of cycling...sand is now in...

6464661095_6b16008dfc.jpg

Sand storm....early Christmas for inhabitants.

6464661133_7c7f4c6e94.jpg

Another view...almost zero visibility..

Current fauna

8 x Turbo snails

1 x Fire shrimp

1 x Skunk shrimp

1 x Orchid dottyback

5 x Chromis

[Edited on 6-12-2011 by prox]

• SRC Member

Beautiful tank bro. Just wondering, any reason why you added sand in after 1 month of cycling?

I also notice your mazzara mounting brackets bending a little bit under the weight of your fixtures. You may want to add some support in the middle?

Yes it is a little bend in the middle but nothing worrying. Dr Evil confirmed it is safe.and normal.

I added the sand now because i just manage to get hold of it. I m using caribsea aragonite seaflor special grade.

Thanks bro for sharing your latest update :friends:

Guess the fun of scaping is about to begin or is this your final scape ? Seems like scaping a shallow tank also has it's own set of challenge :heh:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

This should be my final scape for now but I might reduce some rocks in future.. Any suggestion?

I think this scape is cool, a center major piece and a few small islands...reminds me of Joe P's concept.

With careful and proper selection of corals, your overall reef will look great :)

Now will be to ensure tank parameter stable and slowly introduce the specimen of your likings :friends:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

This should be my final scape for now but I might reduce some rocks in future.. Any suggestion?

My suggestion is to leave the rocks as they are - the less additions or removal of rocks, the better.

The good thing is that you use dead rocks hence you won't have any pests and much lesser chance of nuisance algae of being introduced into your system.

• 3 weeks later...

6569776085_606a4491f6.jpg

Picture taken during light off. Coloration more or less the same from the day I brought it home. The only significant difference is obvious polyps extension.

6569775933_f6bbd259a0.jpg

Sorry for the blur picture. Hope the polyps extension is visible from the picture

6569776219_01549d822e.jpg

No idea what is the name of this corals. Red/brown with green hue.

6569776343_a13f29c495.jpg

Light yellow in color. Yellow Millepora? Courtesy of Cedric. I totally forgot the name of this piece :X

6569776579_2a76604f68.jpg

Close up picture using macro lens

6569776703_0f9ca3cefc.jpg

Another close up picture using macro lens

6569776467_d28d3b95df.jpg

FTS for better idea on corals placement.

Today water test result:

PO4 - 0.15

KH - 6.5

Po4 is still high because of heavy feeding. Need to get my fish a little fat. Some are very skinny from the day I brought them home. Will reduce feeding later on.

• Sponsor

Hi bro,

Just let u know that i have brought in the 3ft long bar (1pc).....that will prevent on the bending.....:) After CNY, Mazarra will come with a seperate power supply just for the controller. So you dont need to have the controller close to your light......u can even plug it on your sofa etc and enjoy the wireless controll......:)

And your light are very neat.

Cheers!

What take you so long ^_^

Do you have it with you now? care to pm me the price (*special price* B) ) and whether I can take it from you this weekend. High chance I will be at Iwarna :D

If you don't mind, actually I have problem with the controller. It tend to disconnect my 5th module out of sudden. I need to re-connect all over again and it is really time consuming cause each time it just refuse to link up all 5.

eg: controller only detect 1,3,4..then if i were to reconnect again, it goes 1,2,4..randomly. It can take my up to 30mins sometimes just to get all 5 modules linked up. Any idea?

• Sponsor

What take you so long ^_^

Do you have it with you now? care to pm me the price (*special price* B) ) and whether I can take it from you this weekend. High chance I will be at Iwarna :D

If you don't mind, actually I have problem with the controller. It tend to disconnect my 5th module out of sudden. I need to re-connect all over again and it is really time consuming cause each time it just refuse to link up all 5.

eg: controller only detect 1,3,4..then if i were to reconnect again, it goes 1,2,4..randomly. It can take my up to 30mins sometimes just to get all 5 modules linked up. Any idea?

Hi bro,

Ok special price for the long bar,.....yes i got stock and i can see u at iwarna. Bring along your controller this weekend and i will do a free swop with the new version 1.2 without charge. This is enable you to have a longer range so and with the latest software.

Cheers

@Dr Evil - I didnt bought it from Iwarna. I got it from LFS in Malaysia which I trust is your reseller/distributor here. Can I still bring it to exchange with you? I have problem with the controller everyday now :(. Thanks for the excellent customer service and I never expect my feedback is taken into consideration.

@Peacemaker - Thanks. I am trying to achieve open concept but don't know can last for how long. Those SPS are really very tempting each time I look at it.

• SRC Member

btw prox I am not sure but I kinda doubt Dr Evil has a distributorship in Malaysia ... unless he does and we're unaware of it.. you should go back to the original LFS you got it from and get it exchanged which is what we all normally do for any goods that we buy right?

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

The shop can help me too but I am just making it more cost and time effective since I am going to meet him to take the rail. If it cannot be done, I will have to refer back to my LFS (AFAIK, he is the only shop carry Maxspect light) to talk to him.

The connectivity issue is making me worry everyday especially when I am not home.