Trace elements? + Reef test kit

J_Vansen_S

hi Guys;

What is the recommended reef test kit that u guys uses? For testing trace elements? (calcium, dkh, magnesium etc)

hi i have a 12g Nanocube setup for almost a year.

Stocked mostly with corals(LPS) and 3 fishes.

I had the API Saltwater test kit (Ammonium, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite) since day 1.

I have little use of it now since my tank is cycled then and i do weekly NSW changes (i live 5 mins drive to the sea)

My concern is that my corals are not actually thriving but just enuff to live by the day.

Recently im starting to see that my LPS receding its flesh; happens to my bubble coral and donut coral which i had them from day 1.

THing is: I have not done any trace element dosing to my tank at all. pH has alwez been low as far as i can remember.

Question is: What should i start with? Do i start buying calcium, dkh magnesium liquids?

Also for those who did; i am assuming you bought test kits for them too

please advise on which best test kit and trace elements to buy

• SRC Member

hi Guys;

What is the recommended reef test kit that u guys uses? For testing trace elements? (calcium, dkh, magnesium etc)

hi i have a 12g Nanocube setup for almost a year.

Stocked mostly with corals(LPS) and 3 fishes.

I had the API Saltwater test kit (Ammonium, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite) since day 1.

I have little use of it now since my tank is cycled then and i do weekly NSW changes (i live 5 mins drive to the sea)

My concern is that my corals are not actually thriving but just enuff to live by the day.

Recently im starting to see that my LPS receding its flesh; happens to my bubble coral and donut coral which i had them from day 1.

THing is: I have not done any trace element dosing to my tank at all. pH has alwez been low as far as i can remember.

Question is: What should i start with? Do i start buying calcium, dkh magnesium liquids?

Hi vansen,

I would suggest to do a 20% water change as soon as possible.

Doing a weekly water change with good salt (tropic marine / d&d / red sea coral pro salt <-- this 3 are good salt for my corals up till now, people may not agree but for me it's ok) and you wont really need to top any with any trace element

This provided your corals are not taking more calcium \ magnesium \ Kh faster then you water change, SPS sucks up faster if you have.

Also water condition (nitrate and phosphate) keep it as low as possible and temp will be ideal around 27-28 minimum.

ph should be around 8.1 to 8.3 (try buff it up with seachem ph buffer slowly).

all the best!

• SRC Member

i believe by trace elements in a reef, most people would be referring to iodine, strontium, iron, potassium etc. these for your nano would be easily supplemented via water changes with a good salt mix.

for ca, kh, and mg, the water change will help maintain them if you're doing it enough to keep up with your coral intake. or else there're plenty of reagents out in the market to maintain these parameters; from two part dosing to various reactors. for testing i personally use salifert for its reputation of accuracy, thought having said that there're also other good brands out there like elos or lamotte

:thumbsup:

Hi guys;

Thanks for the reply.

I have been using natural sea water for my water changes; my corals n fishes seems to like it.

I have switched to using D&D salt mix; since 1mth ago which I did not see any improvements.

So I am thinking to switch back to NSW; hassle of mixing salt measuring

Plz advice

Since Im gonna be using seawater; so I'll get ph, calculcium, magnesium & kh buffer.

What do u guys think?

If ur nitrate/phosphate/salinity/temperature levels are under control, then you should monitor kh, calcium and magnesium.

You may like to consider using salifert test kits.

If you are doing regular water change, then trace elements are not a concern. They are trace elements afterall. Unless you have a heavily stocked tank.

Hope this helps.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.