How to make wave

ckpeh

Hi pple,

Need advice again... glad to have this site!

Quesions

1. For a 4ft tank how many powerheads are necessary to create the wave effect (litre per hr)? any other option(s) other then powerhead?

2. Shld the wave making devices (e.g., powerheads) need to be turn off when the lights are off? or put them a timer?

3. How deep to put these devices? I saw most powerheads are placed need to the surface, why not the bottem to create flow?

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

• SRC Member

[2] Nature reefs do get strong current day & nite .. why turn it off? Corals feed at nite too.. so why not bring the food to them? My seafan opens up mostly after lightsout .. any idea why? my powerhead runs 24/7

1. With the majority of corals we keep, we won't need too high a flow as LPS and some SPS do not appreciate it and keep their polyps closed tightly for protection. If you are talking about acros, that's another story. The thing to go for is turbulent but gentle flow.

There is another good wavemaking system called Wave2k (www.wave2k.com). Unfortunately, they do not cater for local voltage and they do not have one for euro-bracing tanks and need a 6" space behind the tank for the motor. Their customer service also sucks...

2. Some corals feed at night... and appreciate good water flow to bring food to them. Try putting your PHs on timers... so you get slack tide during different times of the day/night.

3. Powerheads close to the surface help in good water surface movement bringing good oxygen flow, helping break up any oil films on the surface etc.

The lowest you should place PHs is in the middle. Too close to bottom and you will have a big depression in the sandbed in front of the PH.

• SRC Member
if ur tank is not that big (~2ft), u may wanna try this DIY Simple Wavemaker Plans

Hi Spade,

This is the first time I come across this idea.

It got me interested.

But after reading twice, still could not figure out how it works.

Its basically :-

1) pointing the right rear corner ph upwards towards center of tank.

And

2) pointing the center rear ph downwards towards center of tank right ?

Have u tried this b4 ?

Thanks

• SRC Member
The principle is to have water currents colliding to create turbulence.

In your opinion, then won't 2 ph mount diagonally opposite each other, both pointing upwards towards center of tank give better random collision ?

thanks

• SRC Member

Hi Spade,

This is the first time I come across this idea.

It got me interested.

But after reading twice, still could not figure out how it works.

Its basically :-

1) pointing the right rear corner ph upwards towards center of tank.

And

2) pointing the center rear ph downwards towards center of tank right ?

Have u tried this b4 ?

Thanks

onghm

AT has answered how it works. ya I'm using this method for my 2ft. it works! :lol: If u hv a torch coral in the centre u will see how it swing when the current collide :lol:

• SRC Member
hw abt juz 2 power heads on each side of the tank blowin' @ each other? coz if u put 1 in the back and 1 in the front, the front PH like damn ugly like tt leh... wat u guys think? juz let 2 heads hit each other loh...

Hi wolfie,

u might want to have a read at http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...013563b0c2d94a7

to give u more ideas.

• SRC Member

onghm

i pai seh to show the whole tank :ph34r: after seeing all the nice tank shown, mine is like a bunch of rocks :(

It's a 2ft tank

The left is the return outlet (1600l/h, i can't recall) from sump. I fixed this one up b4 i knew abt HaiCheong from the forum, there r no 45 degree elbow in those DIY store, so i use 2 90 degree elbow to point the outlet downward

right one is a PH 600l/h

and the big snail juz knock off the torch coral AGAIN :angry:

post-6-1042296732.jpg