Just to share my experiences with fin rot and dropsy

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers.

For the past 2 weeks, my royal gramma was down with dropsy (a symptom that makes the tummy bloated). The fin of it's tail was also starting to rot. So it's an obvious case it has contacted some form of bacteria infections. I've tried initially to feed garlic soaked food, but as days passes by, it loses appetite.

Recalling from a situation whereby my previous true percula contacted with cotton lips infection, i bought melafix and it was cured less than 3 days.

Once again i dropped by a shop and bought melafix. Applied the medication to my tank, and my gramma's dropsy issue starts to get better after 2 days, and after 4 days of medication, he was back to normal. Color came back, as well as his appetite. The fin is recovering well each day and i'm glad that this medication cured something that wasn't included in the description. But knowing the tea tree was the main component in the medication, i took a gamble. Am glad it pays off.

I am not advertising this medication but to share some steps you guys can take if you are having similar symptoms with your fishes.

Moderator please censor the medication's name or delete thread if found inappropriate.

Thank you.

pico pico pico.

• SRC Member

Oh, i forgotten to mention, mine is a FOWLR tank. I will go back and check.

didn't mention not reef safe. Tried on my previous tank with corals, no issue. But as long as it's medication, not recommended for reef tank in general.

pico pico pico.

• 1 month later...

my new flame angel has contracted finrot and some fungus growing on the "face".

initially it can't swim properly and looks like it's on the way up the lorry. i desperately did 2 FW dips. now it can swim properly but the finrot never get better. the fungus is also still there.

i dosed half the recommended dosage of melafix. it says continue dosing everyday for 7 days then WC. i'm wondering if it is too strong and did you dose it one off to cure your gramma?

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Do you have corals? Was wondering if Melafix is/was reef safe?

replying to an old thread :lol:

melafix@marine

A safe, all natural way to treat bacterial infections in saltwater fish and corals. Rapidly repairs open, red sores and wounds, fin and tail rot, pop eye, body slime and mouth fungus on fish. Reverses coral degradation. May be dosed in the main tank or as a coral dip. Also used on commercial coral farms to control bacterial infections and tissue degradation, and to remove parasitic flatworms in wild corals.