Does anyone have any of these you do not require and can give me?

• SRC Member

Hi bros and sis!

I'm about to start a 130 gallon reef tank in which because i'm a student and have

some monetary restraints, need some help from all of you!

So if any of you have some of these items that you do not need and can bear to give away, i'd really hope

to be blessed by them. (:

1) Tank magnet cleaner to clean the tank

2) Lights

3) Wavemaker

4) Protein skimmer

I've calculated the costs and have a lil more than enough to get the other necessary items such as the tank, live rock, sand etc. But if you can give me other things beside those 4 i mentioned above, just reply to this and if i really need i'll pm you. Thx alot bros and sis! Help is GREATLY appreciated! Cant wait to finally have some beauty in my room!

hey man...welcome to the student reefer club...lol. 130gal is kinda big u sure u can maintain one without it interfering with your studies. Its always good to have extra budget for things that u may need in the future and some room for errors. To help u, i gotta small ocean free magnet cleaner that i dont mind giving u, but its prob undersized for your tank...and dirty lol

yep same as choose a display name, welcome to the student reefer club...just a question does ur father support you and is willing to help you maintain the aquarium? coz it is easier to keep a marine aquarium if your family supports you. anyway, i have a small powerhead that i can give you...unsure of the flow rate but should be enough. upz for you.. :thumbsup::groupwavereversed:

i have a pump rated at 1300l/h too, if you are interested. My family didnt really support me at the first part...only until start of this year then my dad got me a second tank....the early days were hard hard times, financially. good luck with your tank, i have fren who has a 90 gal tank...he lost interest so its kinda u know...i recommend starting small...just my opinion

Yoyo bro.... Welcome joining us haha....

I got a sunsun wavemaker ( i think is 5000l/h ) althought is cheap but i use less than 1 month lol..... I use for 4ft tank so should b ok for u :)

Let me kn if u wan it u can pm or sms me 97400797 :)

Chees.... Haha :)

Welcome to the club young reefer... yes I agree bro.. start small as u gain experience and knowledge u can go for a bigger tank. Start with a fowlr tank if u r tight with cash then slowly stock up corals when the steams kicks in... just my 2¢ advice... :friends:

My Simple Tank Spec

Main Tank LPS and Softies 4x2x2.5ft

Sump Tank 2.5x1.5x1.5ft with lots of LR

Remote Sump Tank 2x1x1ft dsb refugium with chaeto, mangroves and Gracilaria curtissae macroalgae

DIY LED with 6x 3W Blue and 6x 3W White main tank light

DIY LED with 1x 3W Blue and 1x 3W Red refugium light

DIY LED 1x 1W Blue moonlighting

Now convert to skimmerless Tank

1 x Rio 14HF Return Pump

1 x SunSun JVP-102 wavemaker

1 x 2x1 vertical Algae Turf Scrubber with 2x 10W LED Warm White

• SRC Member

Having interest in reefing, love the fishes & corals, want to cultivate a hobby, improving fengshui in one's home. These are all admirable reasons to setup an aquarium in a home. At the end of the day, you still need substantial moola to sustain it.

As a general rule of thumb, the bigger your tank, the more expensive your equipment will be. Compared to a 28gal nano, your 130gal will use up salt & additives 4.5 times as fast.

It's not uncommon to upgrade equipment & tank in this hobby because the LS we keep may require us to do so. Those equipment you eventually spend on & plan to sell at a later date, prepare to recover half or less of its original cost.(Some bros are offering to you free right?) 3 critical elements for a reef aquarium are water quality, light, & flow. With enough $, you can get top end equipment to achieve them & sustain it with monthly electrical bill. With optimum condition, your LS would generally be happy & flourish. Talking about LS, everyone have LS up lorry in their tank. It's disheartening, especially if you have to save up for a month to afford it.

If you have a budget to spend on reefing, I urge you to not only think twice, think thrice!

Yup, we'll try to offer you what we can to make it more affordable but a 130gal tank is not gonna be cheap, why not try a 2footer or 3 footer. If u want, maybe even a 4footer. But if you are newer to the hobby, a smaller tank is actually easier to maintain than a big one and you'll have extra money for some room for errors. It actually requires quite alot of knowledge and experience to properly setup and maintian a big tank. Thats just my opinion but please do consider, for starters, i recommend at most a 4footer although its not impossible to set up a 6footer well

as what bro tunicate stated above, i too just started recently. and have been failing quite a bit lately. mine is only a 1.5ft tank i think i have loss ard 120$ worth of livestocks. go slow. as in really really slow before you start piling your cash in.

• SRC Member

Wow all of this is so so true. Hmmm i did have a 20 gallon nano before. But never really put in corals. But i did learn quite a few things from it. So now basically i'd say i want to progress from a small nano to a bigger tank. I might reconsider getting a 4 foot instead but still thinking about it. Cos so far the cheapest tank i can find is ironically a 6 foot tank. Its like selling at 100 bucks cos this guy wants to clear it due to a new baby. Oh mannn. Okok but i'm still in the midst of planning and nth executed yet. So far i've managed to get resources like:

1) Sump

2) Wavemaker

3) Pump

and of course still many things i'm pondering over:

1) Lights

2) Protein skimmer

3) Chiller

Well it is an expensive hobby so i guess i'll have to save up a bit more. But thankfully you pro reefers are here so i can subsidise some of tank costs and of course get some good advice. (: Oh and if you can provide info on where to get really good yet cheap fishes, live rocks, sand and corals, i'dd really appreciate it! :D

• SRC Member

Wow all of this is so so true. Hmmm i did have a 20 gallon nano before. But never really put in corals. But i did learn quite a few things from it. So now basically i'd say i want to progress from a small nano to a bigger tank. I might reconsider getting a 4 foot instead but still thinking about it. Cos so far the cheapest tank i can find is ironically a 6 foot tank. Its like selling at 100 bucks cos this guy wants to clear it due to a new baby. Oh mannn. Okok but i'm still in the midst of planning and nth executed yet. So far i've managed to get resources like:

1) Sump

2) Wavemaker

3) Pump

and of course still many things i'm pondering over:

1) Lights

2) Protein skimmer

3) Chiller

Well it is an expensive hobby so i guess i'll have to save up a bit more. But thankfully you pro reefers are here so i can subsidise some of tank costs and of course get some good advice. (: Oh and if you can provide info on where to get really good yet cheap fishes, live rocks, sand and corals, i'dd really appreciate it! :D

Sorry for being blunt but I just want to let u know that there's no such thing as "cheap" in reefing. You have to have deep pockets to maintain this hobby and the stuffs to invest are just endless. Not forgetting livestocks as well. You will be so tempted to get them when you visit the farms or lfs and it will be very frustrating if you like something so much but could not afford to own it. I see it really meaningless to ask for free stuffs just to help you kick start this hobby. So after that what? Continue to ask for more free stuffs? Like fishes or corals? Pls forget about the 6 footer that is selling for 100 bucks. Have u checked d transportation fee, piping cost etc etc? Go small first and upgrade if u really can afford next time when u come out to work. U r lucky that d admin here is very kind to let u ask for free stuffs. In other forums u will b kicked out n banned straight away. So pls think properly before u jump into anything, own a setup which u can afford.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Welcome to the club young reefer... yes I agree bro.. start small as u gain experience and knowledge u can go for a bigger tank. Start with a fowlr tank if u r tight with cash then slowly stock up corals when the steams kicks in... just my 2¢ advice... :friends:

Hello! Yeah I think that's what I'll do! :D it's cheaper that way and more affordable! :D thx for advice! :B

Ultraman. Hes a student and a newbie. He doesnt have money, why not try to be more undertsnading and make things easier for him. I was like him once, and i was only 12 back then! but look where i am now man. There are many things to consider and many costs that he havent thought about but still he just started try to be more understanding. So why not help a student by giving him stuff that you dont need? extra stuff thats just lying around collecting dust

• SRC Member

Ultraman. Hes a student and a newbie. He doesnt have money, why not try to be more undertsnading and make things easier for him. I was like him once, and i was only 12 back then! but look where i am now man. There are many things to consider and many costs that he havent thought about but still he just started try to be more understanding. So why not help a student by giving him stuff that you dont need? extra stuff thats just lying around collecting dust

It's not just abt d initial setup dat we r talking about. U hv to consider d running cost of d tank. Y make life more difficult if u foresee u will hv problems upkeeping d tank in future? I am always supportive of youngsters keeping fishes as a hobby but u hv to b realistic. Go for something which u can afford n slowly upgrade if u find dat u hv d means of doing so. As working adults we already can feel d impact of maintaining a reef tank let alone a student with no income at all? How abt d parents? D bigger d tank d higher consumption n dats going to add burden to d expenses as well. Young man, in life there r a lot of things to consider when u r going into something n u will know wat I mean as u grow older.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I actually agree with ultraman? Different views perhaps?

yes a student reefer will have low finance cash flow problems but by getting freebies from bros and sis to set up a

6footer or maybe something smaller? Yes there are kind souls like choose a display name bro whom are willing to give but who

Knows if our student bro here whom has a budget problem would like to ask for more in time to come?

There are always alternative to everything you might not need to have the best skimmer or best lights but at least a decent piece where you can afford?

If you can't then keep something else that require less budget so that you need not have to worry this worry that?

Just my 2cents as a student reefer

No offense

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

U got me wrong, Im not encouraging him to get a 6ft tank. i managed to conivince him to get a smaller one by the way. The first thing is budget, actually, unless u are nano reefer, theres no way u can afford a 6ft tank. hes also more into fish so hes not doing a reef which will help reduce the overall cost like the lights and the additives. U dont need the best skimmer or filter but just one that fits the tank requirements. ANd for the lights, a simple t5 2 bulb fixture is more than enough for a fowlr.

frankly the best setup for starters is just a simple 2 feet. Since u have budgetted for a 6ft u prob have sufficient funds to start a 2ft with decent equip. U can still keep a tang, an angel and other fishes. A sump is also optional for a 2ft. But all this is all dependant on your budget. a marine tank is not just a one time investment, so budget properly.

As a comparision, my 3ft x 2ft x 2ft already cost me more than 4k, and that is after getting a 2nd hand tank, new chiller, lighting, etc, etc. And this was excluding lifestock and corals. With LS and corals easilly add another 1.5k. When I convert to marine, I never imagine that I'll spend close to 300 on rocks! And it's suppose to be alive! :ooh: Guess I left my sanity and wallet at the bottom of my tank.

Compare this to my old 5ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft aro tank, whole setup alone only cost me about 3k, all brand new stuffs. And this was exculding the XB.

So ya, I'll say marine is dame expensive! Not to mention the monthly electrical bills......

Even with years of experience in freshwater tanks and aro, I was cation when switching to marine and know of the cost and effort involved when I finally decided to settle for a 3ft tank. Even so, I never expected to spend more than 5k on this small 3ft tank. So do reconsider and start within your means.

i personally feel that it is better to start with a slightly smaller tank like a 2ft or even a 4ft as the general cost of the equipments are lower. this is makes it easier, especially for students like us, who have no income except pocket money. unless your parents fully support you and help you buy all the equipment required for a 6ft tank, u should start with a smaller tank and gain experience first. however, if you are able to obtain the equipment required for such a large tank and have enough money left for LS, u can try a 6ft. anyway i will try to find some equipment in my storeroom to help you... :friends: