3ft custom make tank

Anthony

My old tank had the same design. It's a common one.

Always try to have the biggest hole you can accommodate coz if you are looking into increasing water flow eg. using a big pump, the amount of water going thru a pipe of smaller diameter cannot cope and your tank will overflow.

To control the amount of water going down into sump, install a ball or gate valve.

If you want to make your overflow chamber to be a refugium of sorts... then you should put the pipe opening higher. Lower it and and you can choose to put bioballs in or use filter wool in the chamber.

Tango.... drilling a hole into glass affects the integrity of the glass pane. If you can, you should have the glass tempered after drilling to strengthen it or simply use very thick glass. Leakage is a possibility if your silicon weakens.

• SRC Member

hi AT,

.. . just wonder how big is ur pipe... 25mm? ... or shld i go for like 2 inches? i need some advise... as big as possible .. but i scare too big .. drilling a hole into glass affects the integrity of the glass pane.

ya abt the chamber ... normally is just 6"x6" ... izzit gd that i make it smaller .. maybe 5"x5"

hope u can help.

thanx

• SRC Member

Yoz! normally 3ft tanks use 25mm grey PVC connector. Also always remember to use thicker glass for the base of the display tank if drilling is intended....or & not to patronize u or anything.....styrofoam the base to level of any uneven plane. Think the structural integrity of your design should have no prob.... :lol:

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

oh 4 got yer last question......I personally feel that the size of your overflow section should be decided on the expected bio-load of tank...larger 4 larger......& if u r gona use eggcrates for some of the partition within the overflow section, I suggest u measure the eggcrate squares b4 u decided wat size....dun worry 2 much abt the flow of the water 2 much....unless u plan too go skinny on the size...

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

I strongly recommend custom tanks.....I myself have ordered custom made tanks 4 myself & my clients & frds.....only disadvantage is the tank stand...very troublesome to find and very X to custom.....I use Ikea's sten to hold my 3fts....they r reputed to hold up to 500kg but pple tink that's bullS***.....anyway they hold up till now mayb cos I laquer and add strong brackets to them.....my tank design same as yours.....as 4 the noise you need to fill the entire overflow wif bioballs and or aquarium wool to muffle the noise.....without them DAMm noisy but with them just right..... :rolleyes: