Shrimp Tank

nicktc

• SRC Member

Converted a spare 1ft tank into a shrimp setup.

After cycling for about a week or so, I have finally added in the alien looking shrimp.

Since it is only a 1ft, I picked up one of these, but after reading that they do well in pair, I went on a hunt for a female.

I have also put in a starfish as they are much appreciated by these shrimps.

Yes... they are the Harlequin Shrimp.

Rousing welcome and big hugs for the Star

harlequin1.jpg

Sitting on top of it after failing to power slam the Star

harlequin2.jpg

Not sure how they do it. But the Star is on its back and they are now 'torturing' it.

harlequin3.jpg

Hmm.. bioload for 1ft tank with a pair of harlequin shrimps and sea star quite high, especially when the sea star starts to die while it is being fed upon. You may wish to consider bongo shrimp instead, these feed on smaller brittlestars, especially the white ones commonly found in sand beds. ML just came in 2 pairs. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hmm.. bioload for 1ft tank with a pair of harlequin shrimps and sea star quite high, especially when the sea star starts to die while it is being fed upon. You may wish to consider bongo shrimp instead, these feed on smaller brittlestars, especially the white ones commonly found in sand beds. ML just came in 2 pairs. :)

Noted.

This is my Pico tank setup.

Tank diamension - 12" x 7.5" x 8" (water level stop at 7") approx 10 ltr

Filter : GEX slim (M) HOF

Lighting : Dymax Robo LED white lamp.

Substrate : Coral sand about 1"

Live stock : 3 x small Live Rock with some algae & 1 pair Harlequin Shrimps & 1 x starfish.

Water parameter : do not have test kit at the moment, using NSW (new sea water)

I am hoping that the algae would help in the nitrate control.

Since it is a small tank, would be doing more regular water change instead of using a skimmer.

picomarinetank.jpg

picomarinetank2.jpg

harlequin4.jpg

• SRC Member

Are u running a chiller or fan to chill the water?

I am not running any chiller or fan.

The output flow from the HOF is fairly strong and that creates a lot of water movement.

The water feels cool though I have not taken the temp. (let me check the temp tonight)

• SRC Member

reborn close liao where to get cheap starfish

1 starfish can feed how long?

will the rotting of the starfish cause major problem to the water?

Anything that is going to rot will be a major problem especial for my tank which is slightly more than 10 ltr.

Relative to the size of the starfish as seen in my picture.

I put the starfish in on Monday night.

As of this morning, its left with 2 legs.

So for my case, it is 1 leg per 2 shrimps per day.

I think the Star have died as the shrimps have flip it back to the upright position.

Will probably remove the star when I return home tonight.

Harlequin Shrimps are pretty but isn't it a bit Hmmmm "cruel" to feed them with star fish. I know this is what happens in the wild but can the Harlequin Shrimp be re-conditioned to eat something else instead?

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

• SRC Member

They ate almost the entire start fish in about 5 days, what's left was a small portion of a leg which I removed as they seemed to have moved away and abandon it.

How often do you guys feed your harlequin?

BTW, to took note of the temp. It ranges from 27.5 - 28.5. The measurement is taken very near the pump area.

• 2 months later...

Just set up my shrimp tank! So far it only has two RCS in it. The rest died in the mail unfortunately. But I should have some more on the way eventually. Right now both are females and one looks to be as if it is berried. The tank is a 5g cylindrical tank (acrylic). It has very fine white sand substrate, some wisteria, and a crypt. Also I may have some java moss in there. I have a single airstone and a DIY sponge filter. I used cycled media from my established tank to set it up. I also managed to tape a LED light to the lid of the tank which was no easy task. Unfotunately it's only colored LED lights so the brightest one I could get was purpleish. It's alright for a night light I suppose haha. The tank is in front of a window facing south so it should get lots of sunlight. I just hope I don't get algae.

Next I want to get some more shrimp for this tank. More RCS and some Blue Tigers. I dunno if CRS will cross breed with RCS. If they don't then I might get some of those. Next I want to get some moss balls and get a good piece of driftwood covered with java moss for the shrimp. And I might get a snail.. who knows. Or perhaps some endlers. Haha the options are endless.

Perfect Living Room Appliance Lcd Tv Stands

Stainless Steel Refrigerator black and white finishes

• 2 weeks later...