MY NEW 3 FT MARINE AQUARIUM

Dreams

HI GUYS !

Can someone give me advise on what I need to set up my marine aquarium? Im new to this. I've just bought a 3ft x 1.25 tank. It came with 3 T8 lights, 1 white and 2 blue.

And it also comes with a top filter.

Theres no sump or what so ever.

What should I get next?

This tank is mainly for LPS corals and marine fishes like clown fish. I'll begin water cycling soon.

My budgey is below 1k. There's a few people telling me to get a deltec skimmer or a canister filter, while some other says that it may not be necessary to do so.

I'm able to do WC once a week or even twice if I have no skimmer or what. So what do u guys think ? Give me some advise pls !

There's 2 photo of my tank

Thanks in advance! :)

Aim and achieve.

post-22943-13757886324693_thumb.jpg

post-22943-13757886520374_thumb.jpg

Your current tank set up is quite difficult to keep anything sophisticated .... not suitable for coral too. I would advice you to get liverock and stick to fish only. Is there internal filtration or anywhere u can hang a dejected mce 600?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Your current tank set up is quite difficult to keep anything sophisticated .... not suitable for coral too. I would advice you to get liverock and stick to fish only. Is there internal filtration or anywhere u can hang a dejected mce 600?

Why is it not suitable for coral? I dont think there's any internal filtration except for that top filter.. is it possible to put the mce600 inside cabinate ? or maybe outside the tank on the floor?

Don think your cabinet can hold the weight for long after you put in salt water, sand, live rock.....etc.

But i bought the whole set and the cabinet comes with it lol.

It looks flimsy to me. I think this kind of cabinets are using those harden cardboard or chipboard. Salt water is heavier than fresh water so it will warp after some time. Better consider proper set up for marine/reef tank. Maybe can use this one as QT for fish though.

It looks flimsy to me. I think this kind of cabinets are using those harden cardboard or chipboard. Salt water is heavier than fresh water so it will warp after some time. Better consider proper set up for marine/reef tank. Maybe can use this one as QT for fish though.

Whats QT? If i add sand, live rocks etc. the cabinet wont break and collapse right? Lol

• Like 1

QT means quarantine. I am not so sure how long your cabinet can hold before it give way but better be safe than regret later. I would rather get a solid wood cabinet customized base on your current tank size like kapor or chengai type of wood. and also, what is the glass thickness of this tank you have ?

• SRC Member

use a ruler and measure. for 3ft, the price is around 400~600 from what i know :thumbsup:

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

use a ruler and measure. for 3ft, the price is around 400~600 from what i know :thumbsup:

Cant measure the glass. got the wood sticked onto it. lol i bought the whole set for 700.

if the glass is too thin, there is a chance tt it might break..

my suggestion would be get a sump since ur tank is bigger, with sump, parameters can be controlled easier

if u are not keep coral, i tink the lights can use, if keeping higher requirement corals then lights may need to be changed.

if the glass is too thin, there is a chance tt it might break..

my suggestion would be get a sump since ur tank is bigger, with sump, parameters can be controlled easier

if u are not keep coral, i tink the lights can use, if keeping higher requirement corals then lights may need to be changed.

How much does a sump cost?

Contact the sponsor, bro. Many to chose from..

There's this guy selling sump and skimz over flow for 70. its for a 3ft tank. if i get that, do i have to buy any extra pump or what? Now i've canister filter and deltec hang over skimmer. just no sump.

You will need a return pump. Do you have space to place the sump tank and overflow box?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

You will need a return pump. Do you have space to place the sump tank and overflow box?

sump tank maybe i'll place it on the floor.. or maybe in the cabinet if possible.Where should the overflow box be placed?

To be honest, ur cabinet is really not marine friendly. Really sorry but think u should have done e homework before getting this tank set.. If u leave the sump on e floor, it's going to be very visible and eyesore. Anyway overflow box is likely to be hanged on the side of the tank. U would need to remove the top cover of ur tank to place it..

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

When mce600 is filled with water, it can be quite heavy... hope your glass can take the weight

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Oops... guests can read but can't post or search. http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.gif

Yes, we will add a gallery feature later for all marine tanks.

When mce600 is filled with water, it can be quite heavy... hope your glass can take the weight

Lets say if I m ready to spend all on a sump. And the extra equipment thats being used on the sump. How much would it cost and what are the stuffs I should get? How much is the overflow thing and all the pumps needed for the sump?? Can someone help me to see a clearer picture of this as im not really sure what are the stuffs needed for sump and how it works..

Aim and achieve.

Maybe abt 500. Still have change back :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

You'll need an overflow box, a sump, return pump, filter media, skimmer. And not to forget, you'll need to get your pipings done properly too.

Like what most bros said, more homework should have been done. Impulse decisions are often costly ones. With the money you've spent + some more you need to spend to make a sump. You could have engaged a good tank maker and gotten a really sturdy cabinet, a good display tank with sump and pipings, and definitely a peace of mind.

Now you gotta worry whether the glass is thick and strong enough for marine. Suggest you measure your glass thickness first bro.. Don't invest more and end up display tank give way..

I also have the same problem as u, got myself a tank not really meant for marine. This is what I did then as advised by some senior reefer then. Remove the top cover with the top filter as this can't be used at all. Got a cheap 4xT5 set, 2 canister filter, one connected to chiller, one connected to tank ans surface skimmer. Lastly added in a cheap hob protein skimmer. Managed to keep some easy softies & lps for 1.5 yrs, until that china brand canister's inner o-ring wear & tear and starts to leak.

Hope u can understand my explanation and be of some help to u. But then ur tank is not really suitable in the first place.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

I also have the same problem as u, got myself a tank not really meant for marine. This is what I did then as advised by some senior reefer then. Remove the top cover with the top filter as this can't be used at all. Got a cheap 4xT5 set, 2 canister filter, one connected to chiller, one connected to tank ans surface skimmer. Lastly added in a cheap hob protein skimmer. Managed to keep some easy softies & lps for 1.5 yrs, until that china brand canister's inner o-ring wear & tear and starts to leak. Hope u can understand my explanation and be of some help to u.
Agreed. With ur current cabinet I doubt a sump is economical. This seems to be a cheapest n viable option. Maintain this for a year n if u are still passionate about marine then... Automatically u will be thinking of an upgrade for better tank setup for more advance corals n fishes. If u need more questions answered, u can drop by pasir risk LFS tmr, I will be going there too. Can answer more of ur questions in person, if u r interested pm me

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @