stephen78

zoas infest with hair algae

I think Kole tang like this type of algae.. May be Google search for more info. Foxface rabbitfish may be good too. Or you may consider certain Hermit crab but they may topple your rock or eaten coralline algae.

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

• Like 1

Hi guys, need help on this. My zoas infest with hair algae what should i do to clear it away?
they are pple using hydrogen peroxide to get rid of gha on zoas. Correct administration of peroxide u can google for peroxide n zoas

yea heard hydrogen peroxide very effective but have yet to get down to trying it. irritating to see beautiful zoas having those ugly algae grow out of them. i bopian slowly pluck the hair out every now and then

use a baby bottle brush to brush the gha off the zoa. Got this tip from a zoa shufu, baby bottle brush is soft and will not hurt the zoa. I have been doing that and it works. after brushing the zoa will open up better.

use a baby bottle brush to brush the gha off the zoa. Got this tip from a zoa shufu, baby bottle brush is soft and will not hurt the zoa. I have been doing that and it works. after brushing the zoa will open up better.
Thks, i will try tat too using baby brush

bro, advise for u is try snail, fish(tang) and seahare (very good in algae control) first.

If really need to use peroxide, be very careful of the timing u drip the zoa in, they WILL melt if left too long or the contain is too strong.

base on what i have try, none of the snail will eat hair algae.

Some tang will feed the the tiny hair algae(those that just started growing).

for me sea hare helped me solve the hair algae problem.

removing your po4 in the water help too.

hmm looks like it's time to test out the nualgi product on my tank and see whether it clears the algae! but for now, religious water change would be good in removing the po4 haha

I also tried baby bottle brush to clean the zoa and it worked very well. This set of baby bottle brush I used is containing 3 adjustable sponges and 3 brushes for strew cleaning. I mean you can also take the strew brushes for somewhere with narrow slots, it helps a lot.

https://www.cfone.net/how-to-make-baby-bottle-sparkling-clean.html

Edited by celline

Kole tangs actually prefer diatoms to any other algae.

Source: online research + having a Kole Tang that ignored hair algae and went straight for the diatom bloom when I was first starting a new setup. If you’re really desperate though, get a diadema urchin. Thing eats all sorts of algae like a black hole(yes, even coralline algae)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

On 1/25/2018 at 10:49 AM, celline said:

I also tried baby bottle brush to clean the zoa and it worked very well. This set of baby bottle brush I used is containing 3 adjustable sponges and 3 brushes for strew cleaning. I mean you can also take the strew brushes for somewhere with narrow slots, it helps a lot.

https://www.cfone.net/how-to-make-baby-bottle-sparkling-clean.html

:score:

That only works for bryopsis. For regular hair algae, hydrogen peroxide is more effective. So best to ID the algae first before applying any of those solutions.

bryopsis has the characteristic fern/frond structure & its branches are thicker than hair algae. Plenty of pics on the net for visualization 

personal take is I would use snails instead of such chemicals.. biological approach is sometimes the best!

Get urchin. They love hair algae