Newbie set up

Hi all, i am keen to set up a marine tank, FOWLR but have no experience.

Prior experience to this is a freshwater discus tank.. so i have a few questions

1) Where to get the cheapest cured live rocks

2) Is the cycling process the same for saltwater?

3) What sand substrate is the best

4) Salt mix vs sea water -> which better for beginners?

5) Basic equipment -> Is a skimmer all i need? can do without chiller ? (planning to have 3x 1.5/2 x 1.5/1)

6) which life stock is good for beginners yet colorful

7) What to look out for during the starting process, eg algae, pests ?

8) Additives -> is calcium the only basic requirement?

9) Test kits, i only need pH and ammonia right?

Oh and if any of you here have any equipments to give away do let me know :)

1) Get from our pasa malam people who decom their tank live rock is the cheapest. If not market rate now $6 - $8 per Kg of live rock.

2) Go read up the thread post on src how to cycling your tank.

3) depend which type to like most. The more fine the sand if wave maker too strong can blow off.

4) sea water help you cycle faster. Salt water better as more trace elements.

5) it advice to has chiller too some fish do better with colder water. Also important your main tank thickness advice go be 10mm above.

6) live stock need to stock slowly as your tank is very new. Advice to run your water for more then 1 or 2 month then you add more fish.

8) no need additives if you do regular water change as you keep fowlr tank only.

9) Don't buy wrong brand. Best to get salifert only. You no need ph test kit get PH monitor better and your ph should be under control if you tank is not enclose type.

1) Get from our pasa malam people who decom their tank live rock is the cheapest. If not market rate now $6 - $8 per Kg of live rock.

2) Go read up the thread post on src how to cycling your tank.

3) depend which type to like most. The more fine the sand if wave maker too strong can blow off.

4) sea water help you cycle faster. Salt water better as more trace elements.

5) it advice to has chiller too some fish do better with colder water. Also important your main tank thickness advice go be 10mm above.

6) live stock need to stock slowly as your tank is very new. Advice to run your water for more then 1 or 2 month then you add more fish.

8) no need additives if you do regular water change as you keep fowlr tank only.

9) Don't buy wrong brand. Best to get salifert only. You no need ph test kit get PH monitor better and your ph should be under control if you tank is not enclose type.

Where can i get sea water btw? from shop or really from the sea go get.

Will a fan be sufficent? since i read that a low profile tank can allow for more evaporation so lower temp

Thanks alot for your answers btw!

• SRC Member

Look under siowaro thread, shared with him alot on fw convert to sw tank and easy corals, live stocks to keep.

Most important thing is to give bacteria time to build, cycle to complete and add live stocks slowly.

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Also, can I check if I can just run the tank without a sump? Lots of live rocks and a good skimmer only as filtration that's all.

Yes u can run without a sump. Firstly, u must know the reason for having a sump, most people have a sump as it increases your overall water volume (increased stability), placement of equipments such as in sump skimmers, reactors, filter socks/wool and a refugium for nutrient export/ safe haven for beneficial critters. Safe to say if u dont need a refugium, and u have a place for your skimmer, u will be fine without a sump setup.

I Love Stagsss

Yes u can run without a sump. Firstly, u must know the reason for having a sump, most people have a sump as it increases your overall water volume (increased stability), placement of equipments such as in sump skimmers, reactors, filter socks/wool and a refugium for nutrient export/ safe haven for beneficial critters. Safe to say if u dont need a refugium, and u have a place for your skimmer, u will be fine without a sump setup.
Hmm so since it's a FOWLR and I will have minimal stocking, it should be alright to run on just a skimmer right. Also is 10mm glass thick enough for 4x1.5 x2(height) tank. If it is then I won't change my tank

Yes, if its minimal stocking, than a skimmer alone should do the trick. But make sure u have a filter or some sort running, be it hang on board or canister. Your main filtration will need to be able to deal with the high waste from your feeding and fish poo. Adequate bacteria housing / live rock / sand should be used to increase the surface area for bacteria growth.

As for 10mm glass, correct me if im wrong senior reefers. But 10mm should be enough to support the tank.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

I m not a senior..just sharing..10mm shd b enough thickness but the silicone used is very important..I have experience of tank leaking ard 7yrs ago from using a freshwater setup to saltwater setup..I dunnoe what's the cause till now but advise to check on your tank silicone & condition b4 setting up your FOWLR..cheers & happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Thanks for the reply! Hmm will a wave maker be necessary? And any can bio media used for FW be recycled for SW use?

Also, I head somewhere that with a wave maker, it can blow up waste and the skimmer can deal with it?

Thanks for the reply! Hmm will a wave maker be necessary? And any can bio media used for FW be recycled for SW use?

Also, I head somewhere that with a wave maker, it can blow up waste and the skimmer can deal with it?

A wave maker will be necessary in your case since u are not intending to use a return pump or powerhead. In marine tank, u need a good flow of water continuously.

Yes, u may use your FW bio media. I don't see a problem with that. Many will consider using marine bio media and how its classified, i have no idea. But to me, its no difference. i.e Biohomme, works for both fw and sw

What u read is true. The main idea of having a good wave maker is so that water can continuously be moved around and into the skimmer for the waste/organics to be skimmed out effectively. U want to prevent any waste (detritus) from settling onto the base of the tank or on the rocks which will in turn increase the nutrient in your tank

I Love Stagsss

If that's the case which of the follow ideas would be good?

1) multiple sponge filter

2) internal pump filter

3) wave maker plus giant hob

Want to stop using canister cause abit unsightly for pipes.

If that's the case which of the follow ideas would be good?

1) multiple sponge filter

2) internal pump filter

3) wave maker plus giant hob

Want to stop using canister cause abit unsightly for pipes.

I am more inclined to go for option 3. But if u are intending to use for a 4 x 1.5 x 2 tank, i'm not sure where u can find such a huge hob filter that will provide adequate filtration. You can use the first two options, but where u going to put ur bio media? In marine tank, sponge and pump filters get clogged up fast, u must be prepared to change it often. An internal pump filter will look uglier than a canister if u ask me.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Hi bro. I have also just recently set up a month old 25l nano tank. I have use one hang on filter (750l max output) and one mini canister filter (500l max) plus a mini protein skimmer. I use the hang on for mechanical and chemical filter and canister for bio filter. And also to have good water flow.

So far i am able to keep the water clear with acceptable water parameters. My advise is to utilise to the max space you have.

I am still trying to substain the corals and fish in good health, so far so good, but still have to closely monitor my sun coral and SPS. :wacko:

post-5037-14050432393553_thumb.jpg

post-5037-14050437126025_thumb.jpg

post-5037-14050437271247_thumb.jpg

post-5037-14050438221023_thumb.jpg

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014