Finally after 10 years, a new beginning!

hansolo

• SRC Member

Hi everyone,

After a 10-year hiatus, I’m finally getting back into the hobby. I’ve followed many threads on this forum and I am encouraged by how helpful this community is. I’m also amazed at how things have changed over the years in terms of technology, expertise and even exotic tastes, e.g. I never knew what a Picasso clown was until recently.

So, with the help and advice of a good and old friend, Henry from MarineLife, I’ve started to reconstruct my tank and would love to share it with you all. He comes highly recommended - I'm very impressed with his quality of work, excellent after-sales service and reliability.

Here’re some specs:

Display tank: 5x2x2, 12mm

Sump and top up reservoir with Tunze Osmolator

Lighting: 2x Orphek Atlantik v2.1 wifi LED lights

Protein Skimmer: Deltic SC2060

Wave maker: Maxspect gyre x150

Main return pump: D&D FL5000

Chiller: Arctica DB250 1/3 HP

Bacteria King biological media

The plan is to start out simple first, i.e. with softies (zoas, ricordias) and LPS (Euphyllia species), then maybe add a few hardy SPS (I love Monti caps). Hope to stay disciplined with a low bioload and not get poisoned further into this venture.

Appreciate any feedback!

Hans

Looks like a pretty organized setup. Camping here for more of your updates!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Nice pictures and documentation. The design are neat and organized, camping here for more updates!

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• SRC Member

@Harlequin mania, I find it hard to include a refugium that is large enough to make a significant impact, ie for a 5 feet set up, one would probably need a 3-4ft fuge - no space for that unfortunately

• SRC Supporter

@Harlequin mania, I find it hard to include a refugium that is large enough to make a significant impact, ie for a 5 feet set up, one would probably need a 3-4ft fuge - no space for that unfortunately

Yap true also. Unless is for other benefits it offer.

Finally... Water in!

320ca44b53cc9db86810157fc4c0bf95.jpg

Hi bro!

Can find out what is that bottle in the tank?

What does it do?

Awesome planning on the wirings! Super neat and clean. I realized that every single piping, hose and plug have a label!

I'm rather curious on how the chiller will vent though.

Is there an extraction fan at the top?

Thanks!

I believe that bottle is a di unit.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Yes there is an extraction fan on top which pulls the warm air out of the chiller and lighting area into my false ceiling to be dispersed. Ideally there should be another fan to pull the air from the false ceiling to kitchen, but I haven't found one yet

Yes there is an extraction fan on top which pulls the warm air out of the chiller and lighting area into my false ceiling to be dispersed. Ideally there should be another fan to pull the air from the false ceiling to kitchen, but I haven't found one yet

Wah sounds like very intricate planning. But won't the living room be warm then?

Previously I did something like that as well. But only for the warm exhaust to pool behind the chiller causing the chiller to be less effective.

I think the extraction fans must be strong enough if not it might affect the chiller.