Setting a Crab Trap

scanman

hi guys .... did a serach on crab traps but couldn't find one:( .... so decided to experiment myself :angry: .... did a lot of of prototype versions (about 6 versions) ...finally found one effective method and it is sooooo simple!!! this is what i did ...

Step 1. get a glass bottle (those chicken essence, etc.) wash thoroughly. dun get those plastic container as it will float!! if u realli can't find ....then use those plastic type and put in some sand to let in sink.....

Step 2. place the glass bottle (upright) and tilted it in such a way that the opening of the bottle lean on the live rock.

Step 3. place a bait (i used a slice of market prawn) inside the bottle.

Step 4. ......wait.....:whistle ....after a while.... the crab will "smell" the prawn and walk into / drop inside the bottle!!!! :yeah::yeah:

due to the glass surface ...it will be too slippery for those nasty crab to climb up ....VIOLA!!! :yeah: ....now you can do whatever to the crabs!!!! :evil::evil:

i tried this method yesterday night (using 3 bottles) .... this morning i found a total of 5 crabs inside the bottles!!!! one bottle even score a hat trick!!! :yeah::yeah:

.....try it ...juz sharing my experience.... ;)

HEY thanx bro. i have been trying to get rid of those hairy freaks for a long time. they pinch my corals u know!!!!! :yeah:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Hey,

Why not do a minature version of those crab traps where we use to catch mud crabs. (those got fish one should noe wat i talking about). Those built with bamboo sticks one. maybe can work.

HAHA !!

actualli my prototype version 3 was a minature of the bamboo stick type ....but it was too light and not effective ..... shrimp kena eaten by my fishes :lol::lol: ....

:blink::blink: my method more and more lobang :D:D .... ok ..maybe can put in the shrimp ...then put in a mesh (something like a fish net) between the market prawn and the opening .... this way shrimp cannot get the prawn and prawn "smell" still can attract crab :yeah::yeah: ....dun know works or not ...can someone try?? :heh:

• SRC Member
hi guys .... did a serach on crab traps but couldn't find one:( .... so decided to experiment myself :angry: .... did a lot of of prototype versions (about 6 versions) ...finally found one effective method and it is sooooo simple!!! this is what i did ...

Step 1. get a glass bottle (those chicken essence, etc.) wash thoroughly. dun get those plastic container as it will float!! if u realli can't find ....then use those plastic type and put in some sand to let in sink.....

Step 2. place the glass bottle (upright) and tilted it in such a way that the opening of the bottle lean on the live rock.

Step 3. place a bait (i used a slice of market prawn) inside the bottle.

Step 4. ......wait.....:whistle ....after a while.... the crab will "smell" the prawn and walk into / drop inside the bottle!!!! :yeah::yeah:

due to the glass surface ...it will be too slippery for those nasty crab to climb up ....VIOLA!!! :yeah: ....now you can do whatever to the crabs!!!! :evil::evil:

i tried this method yesterday night (using 3 bottles) .... this morning i found a total of 5 crabs inside the bottles!!!! one bottle even score a hat trick!!! :yeah::yeah:

.....try it ...juz sharing my experience.... ;)

Thank you... :bow::bow::bow:

I have seen four or five in my tank but never manage to catch time.

Now I can stop using the magic chopstick trick (I try to poke them with chopstick)

• SRC Member

I tried using tweezers 2 "spear" it ... but the fella's too smart 4 his own good <_<. It managed 2 avoid my pincers many many times ... mayB with Scanman's crab-trap, I can finally catch it (suspect it's been murdering my nassarius snails).

I tried using tweezers 2 "spear" it ... but the fella's too smart 4 his own good <_<. It managed 2 avoid my pincers many many times ... mayB with Scanman's crab-trap, I can finally catch it (suspect it's been murdering my nassarius snails).

yes...my nassarius population is diminishing as well :angry: