My corals dun survive

Hi,

New to marine fish keeping and i have a problem with corals.

I have started a 2ft tank, and have cycled the tank for about 1 week before

starting to add in corals.

Within a week, my corals do not survive. They are slowly changing color and

have died one after another. I do not know the reason and I hope there is someone here who can help me.

Thanks in advance! :)

Must be patient when you are in this hobby. You tank might not be fully ycled. Most pple will cycle their tank for at least a month before adding LS into their tank. In the mean while stop adding LS into your tank. Go purchase some test kits and test for water parameters. If there's still NO3, it means that you tank is not fully cycled.

Errrm.... I think pangz meant NO2=0. Generally your tank is cycled when NO3 (ammonia) and NO2 (nitrite) reaches 0 or undetectable values. And to add, your cycle must start in the first place meaning there must be a source of ammonia (market shrimp or uncured LRs) to kick start the cycling process.

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member
Errrm.... I think pangz meant NO2=0. Generally your tank is cycled when NO3 (ammonia) and NO2 (nitrite) reaches 0 or undetectable values. And to add, your cycle must start in the first place meaning there must be a source of ammonia (market shrimp or uncured LRs) to kick start the cycling process.

hmmm think you typed wrongly

NH3 - ammonia

NO2 - Nitrite

NO3 - Nitrate

cheers

• SRC Member

0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Both 0 normally means your tank is cycled

nitrate will sure have some unless you have very low bio load / good equipment / good bio system. But still try to keep it as low as possible.

You have not mention what coral you put into the tank???

Might not just be your water parameters, lighting, current, temperature, tank mates?

:)

Oooops, sorry....typo..... ammonia should be NH3

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

Must be patient when you are in this hobby. You tank might not be fully ycled. Most pple will cycle their tank for at least a month before adding LS into their tank. In the mean while stop adding LS into your tank. Go purchase some test kits and test for water parameters. If there's still NO3, it means that you tank is not fully cycled.

Thanks pangz.

There are many types of test kits, which is more commonly used, and easy to use?

0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Both 0 normally means your tank is cycled

nitrate will sure have some unless you have very low bio load / good equipment / good bio system. But still try to keep it as low as possible.

You have not mention what coral you put into the tank???

Might not just be your water parameters, lighting, current, temperature, tank mates?

:)

those corals looked like green tiny mushroom on the rock.. i duno the exact names

• SRC Member

Hey babyfishy,

Think you should hold all stocking up and cycle your tank properly.

Please read the Pinned threads under the New to Marine Aquaria section especially on tank set up and cycling.

I don't think you can cycle your tank within a week. How much and what type (cured/uncured) live rocks did you put in your tank?

Go and get some reliable testkits for NH3 (ammonia) and NO2 (nitrite). Salifert or Mini Labour will be a good choice.

Kick start you ammonia cycle with a market prawn. Within a day you should have ammonia readings with your test kit. Nitrite should still be zero at this point. Next stage you will see your ammonia readings drop and your nitrite readings increase. Also test using your test kit. Continue cycling until you find both ammonia and nitrite is zero (test with your test kits). Then get your NO3 (nitrate) test kit and test to confirm the presence of nitrate. Then your cycling is complete. Do a 20% water change to reduce your nitrate and you are ready to stock. This process could take in average 3 to 4 weeks, it varies with different tank, but definitely not 1 week.

Please stock slowly, like 1 fish a week to slowly build up the aerobic bacteria in your live rocks. Stock too fast your tank will not be able to support and will crash. Also read up on fish compatibility and suitability before buying.

Continue testing your water twice a week at this early stage. Can reduce to weekly later say after 2 months. Once you notice any change like ammonia or nitrite spike (increase) in your tank water, stop all stocking and continue to monitor until all parameter return to good before stocking again. In this hobby PATIENCE is the biggest virtue.

I think you started stocking with button polyps or zooanthids which is a good choice for starter corals. However please read up on coral care and husbandry before you go and purchase any coral, like water flow, lights requirement, aggressiveness etc. Else you will still end up with dead corals again.

Hope you will start right and Happy Reefing.

hi babyfishy,

i hv some contributions to make regarding the buying of LS. after making sure that ur tank is properly cycled wif the use of reliable testkits, addition of hardier LS will be a good choice. a good start might be clowns. damsels IMHO, r quite fierce and u might regret the addition later. esp with a 2 ft tank. there isn't much room for other LS to play wif. read up on the compatibility of individual LS that u intend to keep. more info can be found in liveaquaria.com. there's a compatibility chart for LS there too. tangs for ur tank size is strongly discouraged too.

juz me 2 cents. ;) hope it helps.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

seriously i didnt noe that cycling a marine tank requires more than 1 week.

becos the marine shop where i bot my things told me that 1 week is sufficient

for the marine salt to settle down, and once the reading on the hydrometer is within the acceptable range, i can start stocking.

• SRC Member
seriously i didnt noe that cycling a marine tank requires more than 1 week.

becos the marine shop where i bot my things told me that 1 week is sufficient

for the marine salt to settle down, and once the reading on the hydrometer is within the acceptable range, i can start stocking.

Those that cycle within 1 week probably have Matured Cured Live rocks & Live sands to help them attain the required biological filteration for a good start..........even so, still got to keep doing water test very week to check if the water parameters is right before adding in LS.

Go slow and keep reading..........will save you tons of money on the long run.

Eric

• SRC Member

huh... which marine shop told u that.. ask him go and zip up his mouth and dont talk so much..

u dont even need to wait for salt to settle down..

in the 1st place be4 u add salt water into your tank.. u must have the correct salt level in your hydrometer and u only need to wait for 1 hour to have your salt totally dissolve....

never pour in undissolve salt into a tank with LS...

Those that cycle within 1 week probably have Matured Cured Live rocks & Live sands to help them attain the required biological filteration for a good start..........even so, still got to keep doing water test very week to check if the water parameters is right before adding in LS.

Go slow and keep reading..........will save you tons of money on the long run.

Eric

actually that shop told me that the '1 week' wait is based on bare tank, with only my filteration running. he didnt ask me to add in any rocks, etc.

huh... which marine shop told u that.. ask him go and zip up his mouth and dont talk so much..

u dont even need to wait for salt to settle down..

in the 1st place be4 u add salt water into your tank.. u must have the correct salt level in your hydrometer and u only need to wait for 1 hour to have your salt totally dissolve....

never pour in undissolve salt into a tank with LS...

one of the marine shop in sungei tengah.. :P

bro, wat u mean by "in the 1st place be4 u add salt water into your tank.. u must have the correct salt level in your hydrometer and u only need to wait for 1 hour to have your salt totally dissolve'

i m confused.. how to have salt level in my hydrometer before i add salt water into my tank ?? :ph34r:

cycle come about because of the adding of LR because of the die off from the LR...

so with just bare tank.. u got what to cycle...

oops, i am getting confused alrdy.

i thot i can cycle bare tank, and then use test kits to check

for the nitrates and ammonia reading.. if both are zero, then i can

start to add in live thingy? am i correct? pls correct if i am wrong. tks

• SRC Member

no u need to have salt water, sand and LR into your tank first then we can count the start of cycling the tank (doing nothing just let your pump do the work by having water flow in your tank)..

and after 3-4 weeks of cycling then u can start testing for NH3 and N02...

• SRC Member

one of the marine shop in sungei tengah.. :P

bro, wat u mean by "in the 1st place be4 u add salt water into your tank.. u must have the correct salt level in your hydrometer and u only need to wait for 1 hour to have your salt totally dissolve'

i m confused.. how to have salt level in my hydrometer before i add salt water into my tank ?? :ph34r:

What I mean is salinity and u must have the correct salinity. And also what salt u r using???

no u need to have salt water, sand and LR into your tank first then we can count the start of cycling the tank (doing nothing just let your pump do the work by having water flow in your tank)..

and after 3-4 weeks of cycling then u can start testing for NH3 and N02...

oic.. i get the clearer pic now...