EcoSystem (Miracle Mud) Method for SPS

• SRC Member
Hi there to all SPS experts,

Has anyone of you used the Miracle Mud method sucessfully?

If so, is protein skimmer being used also.

Lastly, any additives required to replenish the trace elements?

perhaps u mean having a refugium using Miracle Mud?

dun tink someone using solely miracle mud... unless the person realli damn rich.... else, wat pple usually do is buy a bit n do a mix with size #0/#1 sand to create a denitrifying DSB at the refugium....

Though miracle mud was marketed together with its ecosystem where the advertisement says that protein skimmer will no longer be needed, i think currently, it's still debatable whether u can actually omit its use.... cos protein skimmer act does more than removing organic substances.... :)

Thanks for the reply.

I found someone using Miracle Mud :). It's Ian.

Protein Skimmer really does great job, to the extend that everything other than H2O is being removed :), that's why all the routine topping up of trace elements.

I've read that using the Miracle Mud system it perform miracles :), that's why I intend to try it on a 3 ft tank. If it is really sucessful then our fellow hobbyist will have an alternative.

Maybe Ian can share some experience regarding Miracle Mud system?

• SRC Member

Just because it's called Miracle Mud doesn't mean it's miraculous. I won't pay so much for garden soil. A lab analysis has shown that the product miracle mud is no different from garden loom and the product is not from a marine source as claimed by the manufacturer. Another product to con unsuspecting reefers.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Just because it's called Miracle Mud doesn't mean it's miraculous. I won't pay so much for garden soil. A lab analysis has shown that the product miracle mud is no different from garden loom and the product is not from a marine source as claimed by the manufacturer. Another product to con unsuspecting reefers.

I you wanted miracle mud...I've 10 year old mirale mud from my fibre clam tank...... :P:P:P:P:P .- juz a joke. Putting mud into a new Refug or tank/sump will cause a small cycling effect to take place. You will need to regulated the flow thru your refug to extremely slow flow for the first month and slowly increase to make it work, else a small algae boom will result. Unless you are cycling your main tank........

Max

Hi williammuk,

How is your refugium doing, are the caulerpa growing very well?

I believe the most important aspect of this method is looking after the refugium well. I believe Dosing of calcium and kalkwasser is still needed.

Please share with us your setup using the miracle mud method.

I you wanted miracle mud...I've 10 year old mirale mud from my fibre clam tank...... :P:P:P:P:P .- juz a joke. Putting mud into a new Refug or tank/sump will cause a small cycling effect to take place. You will need to regulated the flow thru your refug to extremely slow flow for the first month and slowly increase to make it work, else a small algae boom will result. Unless you are cycling your main tank........

Max

Hi Max,

Sounds like you've done it before, ten years ago? :D

Can you share your experience with us also, such as setting up for new tank and adding it to an cycled tank.

Hi Tanzy,

I agree with you, in principle. :D

Where did you read that lab analysis, can you point me the URL?

However, I would still like to try it out because the concept is sound and simple. Anything sound and simple should be correct.

Cost wise ...... about S$175 for 10 pound of mud :( , maybe can ask eAquaNature to sponsor :D

• SRC Member

Hang on dudes! I Just got the mud recently and have not used it yet. I'm going to put it in my refugium mixed with sand. But I'm still gonna use my skimmer, since I already have one. :D

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
does anyone think marc weiss owns eco systems. certainly the similarities between the 2 companies are there

No.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

this is the lab analysis of the MIRACLE MUD....

http://www.inlandreef.com/MManalysis.html

Conclusions

The analysis indicates that Miracle Mud is 30% silicon. This mostly likely exists in Miracle Mud as silicon dioxide, which is most commonly found in nature as quartz. As pointed out by Randy Holmes-Farley, the molecular weight of silicon makes up less than half the molecular weight of silicon dioxide. So if the silicon present is all in the form of silicon dioxide, Miracle Mud is more than 63% quartz. This seems to be confirmed by the photos.

The high levels of metals (especially Aluminum, Iron and Titanium) are also a point of concern.

In addition, no traces of any marine sediment were found in any microscopic examination - no oolitic sand grains, no shell fragments, no diatoms or any other remnants of marine life. An acid test conducted by Shane Graber indicates no carbonates are present in Miracle Mud. It is difficult to reconcile these facts with the manufacturer's claim that "Miracle Mud is 80% oceanic mud."

• SRC Member
Hi williammuk,

How is your refugium doing, are the caulerpa growing very well?

I believe the most important aspect of this method is looking after the refugium well. I believe Dosing of calcium and kalkwasser is still needed.

Please share with us your setup using the miracle mud method.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Been busy lately. :bow:

My refugium is doing very well. Lots of copepods and amphipods. Grape caulerpa is growing very well. I have to prune and throw every couple of weeks. Also have Halimeda and another type of caulerpa.

Yes, dosing calcium and kalkwasser is still needed.

Setup is very simple. Nothing fanciful. Main tank overflows into sump/refugium, passes caulerpa growing in MMud, passes through RowaPhos and gets pumped back up to main tank. That's it.

As for lighting, I have 2 x 36W 6500K PL on an experimental photoperiod of 6 hours On and 6 hours Off cycle.

Hope this helps. Cheers. :)