Skimz FR-150

jervismun

Although I was a little late for the super duper promotion... well... still a good deal considering it bundle with a big tub of Sorb4 :D

FR is nothing new... so there's only that much we can come to expect from a new model... will this new design live up to the hype? You be the judge... I will continue to post pix and my own observations in the coming days while the FR is running :)

post-14-1194920148.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Decided to use a Hydor Seltz L30 (1200 l/h max) for the Skimz FR-150. The Hydor pump consumes 27W and is adjustable according to the FR flow needs.

post-14-1194920619.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

another nice review from Jervis

I've not touch a new toy for quite a while now... oh I miss the feeling :lol:

The overall feel is good... well built... definitely up to expectations considering the affordable price :)

The glossy black and clear plastic is a nice combination :P

post-14-1194923084.jpg

Simple straight-forward design... 8 screws to secure the top acrylic... the inlet and outlet is non-rotatable... making it more secure in the long run... but you can easily change the direction by rotating the entire top acrylic panel as the 8 screws are of equal distance :eyebrow:

post-14-1194923252.jpg

Especially like the small square footprint of 18.5cm x 18.5cm... no need to decide the fixing orientation as it is square :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks to the 8 screws... I don't have to screw so tightly anymore... this will definitely make changing media a little more pleasant :eyebrow:

And due to the thinner acrylic panels... the screws have been shorten too... less time spent on turning and screwing :D

post-14-1194923537.jpg

This is the key difference compared to the old model... a 15cm dia. wide body... so much easier to handle now as my hands can reach inside... and pouring in media has never been easier... I like this feature a lot :peace:

post-14-1194923756.jpg

1 tub worth of Aquapharm Sorb4... the recommended media for Skimz FR-150... as not all PO4 removal medias work well under fluidised environment :unsure:

For more information, click HERE for sponsor page.

Oh that Starbucks logo reminds me of something... it's time for a cuppa :P

post-14-1194924092.jpg

Once filled with media... time to conceal it. Firstly position the "three-pointed-star" mechanism to hold the central core in place... no more accidental misalignment... everything feels so precise here :bow:

post-14-1194924493.jpg

And my favourite part must be the CNC well (longkang) to perfectly fit the Silicon O-ring... no more hassle in trying to make the o-ring stay in place while closing the toplid :D

Everything feels right... hassle free too (compared to older generations at least)... I will let the FR run for a day or so... then update you guys again :)

I will try my best to answer queries :P

post-14-1194924610.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Do u wash your Sorb4 with water?

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto

Do u wash your Sorb4 with water?

No... washing is not required for this particular brand. Sorb4 is not as dusty :)

• SRC Supporter

Oh izzit,but if dont wash your tank will be very brown le

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto

Oh izzit,but if dont wash your tank will be very brown le

it will turn slightly brown for a while only

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

it will turn slightly brown for a while only

Yupe... just for a while... it's alright. If you really have to wash the media... try using tank water, RO or DI water... avoid tap water as it contains high level of Phosphate :)

Been running for 24 hours... so far so good :)

th_141101.jpg

Flow is around 1000 l/hr

• SRC Member

i was amazed that 1000l/hr flow rate is ok. i have two pumps in my store room. one is 800l flow rate... the other is 2000l flow rate. tried both, 2000l flow rate is better. so at the end, i use mine 2000l flow rate. now, i know 1000l flow rate is alright too :lol:

age.png

Yeah bro Loster... 1000L is quite sufficient... I think 1500L will be perfect :)

Been running for 3 days... nothing unusual to report :D

After running for 1 week... the fluidization of media is still superb... and the Aquapharm Sorb4 media is holding well despite the good flow (some media not suitable for such efficient fluidization) :D

th_MOV06738.jpg

• SRC Member
After running for 1 week... the fluidization of media is still superb... and the Aquapharm Sorb4 media is holding well despite the good flow (some media not suitable for such efficient fluidization) :D

th_MOV06738.jpg

hi jervis. may i know is there a tell tale sign on when we should chg the sorb4?eg colour or 4-6mths once...???

im using the twin chamber fr am and alre abo 4mths ++ running the media.(new tank)

also can we actually mix sorb4 with rowap in one chamber?

thx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...