refugium/sump tank

I have added in my refugium about 2 mths back and i'm using the MM (i'm using the below setup, see link). But as i'm restricted by space, i only put in 10lb of the mud. For the first 2 weeks of the setup, i have quite a bit of ugly algae/diatom in the refugium and the macro algae don't grow well.

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/mira...pplication.html

But after that when it stabilised (i added a few snails), i see significantly reduction in the amt skimmed by the skimmer, pretty clean sandbed (without the usual brownish look), less algae grown on the main tank (but i guess normal refugium with macro algae should see the same effect?). And the pH is very stable throughout the day/night (should be contributed by the 24/7). As for other benefits that is mentioned by Leng Syd, i have yet to see it or maybe not easily measureable (like can prevent/cure HLLE, no need to add additives which i still do)??

But one thing for sure, the refugium is definitely helpful in growing the worms, copepods, and amphipods (some of them grow real big and sometime do wonder where the worms come from?). But so far not sure how many of them manage to survive the pump and get to the main tank? <_<

As for whether skimming is needed together with MM, there are some FAQ that u can take a look at the below link.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mudfiltrfaqs.htm

• SRC Member

the main benefits of MM is that it allows macroalgae to grow without excessive algae bloom, macroalgae is the 1 doing all the filtration and nutrient export.

this also can be achieved with normal C1 coralsand with base fertilizers, these fertilizers release nutrients as they dissolved slowly. Further supplement can be done with more base fertilizers or liquid fertilizers when the macroalgae is capable of absorbing before the bad algae does

those hardy algae like ferns or those bushy type can grow very when when you dose those board spectrum fertilizers with potassium iodide + iron

Hmmm... actually why the need for base fertilizers??

Your macroalgae should be relying on your tank's dissolved waste organic materials as well as the phosphates to grow.

The only addition you need is iron supplements.

If you are already having base fertilizers and when you have a overload of DOM in your tank... your macroalgae will be unable to cope and you'll see a bloom of nuisance algae taking hold.

The purpose of macros in a refugium is to outcompete the nuisance algae as a form of filtration.

• SRC Member

Base fert???

Macroalgae doesn't even have roots! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hongqixian is right. Those are holdfast only. Only true plants have roots that absorb nutrients. The base fert cannot be utilised directly by macroalgae and must dissolve into the water then absorbed by the algae.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

If the base fert is dissolving slowly, iron is entering the water, it will also kick start the filamentatous green algae in the tank. Actually I am not too sure if any soluble and usable iron is actually released by the base fert, I always thought it is only roots that absorb iron from base fert.

Anyway, tests have been done on Miracle Mud to show that is has the same composition as garden dirt and it has never seen the sea before. I'm not sure if it is really worth the money.

post-36-1093875548.jpg