Recommend LED for chaeto in nano IOS sump

finind

• SRC Member

Unless you are willing to DIY, the JBJ Nano Glo is your best bet. I've been using it for more than a year, and it is very effective in growing cheato. Just make sure that you randomly rotate it once in awhile (if it is not tumbling freely) so that the entire bunch gets the light.

• SRC Member

Im using those cheap led fixture at 8000k... Abt a mth now... Any take on that? Not sure if its useful though...

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Unless you are willing to DIY, the JBJ Nano Glo is your best bet. I've been using it for more than a year, and it is very effective in growing cheato. Just make sure that you randomly rotate it once in awhile (if it is not tumbling freely) so that the entire bunch gets the light.

can advise where did you get your nano glo? at what price?

can pm me?

:ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

Im using those cheap led fixture at 8000k... Abt a mth now... Any take on that? Not sure if its useful though...

so how's your chaeto doing after using the led fixture for 1 month?

meantime I diy using sim lim cabinet led.

hope the chaeto likes it.

• SRC Member

can advise where did you get your nano glo? at what price?

can pm me?

:ThanxSmiley:

I bought mine from AM. It was on offer at that time, so it is slightly less than 7 red notes. I'm not too sure of the current price though.

Most people would feel that it is on the high side for a fuge light, completely understandable. I like it for being compact, neat and can be hidden at the back, which fits an IOS tank perfectly.

• SRC Member

I bought mine from AM. It was on offer at that time, so it is slightly less than 7 red notes. I'm not too sure of the current price though.

Most people would feel that it is on the high side for a fuge light, completely understandable. I like it for being compact, neat and can be hidden at the back, which fits an IOS tank perfectly.

now if got 10% discount then is 8 red notes ba

find its price high as in not prepare to spend that amount to maintain chaeto :lol:

but it is proven so if bo-bian then have to get it

• SRC Member

so how's your chaeto doing after using the led fixture for 1 month?

meantime I diy using sim lim cabinet led.

hope the chaeto likes it.

Hmmm no seen growth noticed... Lol! No brown parts too...:/

Btw nano glo is at abt $90 now at Am...:) nice sleek stuff with high price...:D will get it if budget allows though...:)

• SRC Member

Hmmm no seen growth noticed... Lol! No brown parts too...:/

Btw nano glo is at abt $90 now at Am...:) nice sleek stuff with high price...:D will get it if budget allows though...:)

no dying off is already good news

i rather it doesnt grow too much

my simlim led also on the whiter side ..so if work should be slower growth ba

• SRC Member

no dying off is already good news

i rather it doesnt grow too much

my simlim led also on the whiter side ..so if work should be slower growth ba

Haha! I was thinking if it grows faster is better cause more nutrients is absorbed for the plants...:D how much did u paid for your led? How many bulbs per metre?

• SRC Member

With the IOS area so small, I wonder if the chaeto you can grow in it is actually of any use. Maybe regular water changes will do much more in terms of nutrient export.

If the idea is to cultivate pods, then maybe worthwhile.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Haha! I was thinking if it grows faster is better cause more nutrients is absorbed for the plants...:D how much did u paid for your led? How many bulbs per metre?

should be $26 per metre

ard 48 led per metre

• SRC Member

With the IOS area so small, I wonder if the chaeto you can grow in it is actually of any use. Maybe regular water changes will do much more in terms of nutrient export.

If the idea is to cultivate pods, then maybe worthwhile.

water change is definitely part of the routine

well, maybe is psychological ba :lol:

at least got something to export the nutrient before water change is scheduled

need to buy product like trigger pod or ocean pod in order to cultivate more pod?

• SRC Member

water change is definitely part of the routine

well, maybe is psychological ba :lol:

at least got something to export the nutrient before water change is scheduled

need to buy product like trigger pod or ocean pod in order to cultivate more pod?

Besides buying this bottled pods, your tank currently should already have some. All LR, and macroalgae you put in should have introduced pods to your tank.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Besides buying this bottled pods, your tank currently should already have some. All LR, and macroalgae you put in should have introduced pods to your tank.

main tank has but din see any in the sump so far ... maybe old flower eyes

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just to update, though not fast growth, my up aqua cheap led fixture actually managed to keep my chaeto and gracilaria alive and growing when i checked yesterday!:D its arnd 2 times when i first got it... No brown out at bottom either since its in my HOB filter without tumbling...:P its arnd 5cm from the water surface to the algae and depth or around 10cm...:)

• SRC Member

after putting the remaining few strand of chaeto near the window for 2 weeks ... with occasional adding of used tank water,

can see there is actually growth .. though not grren grwwn with oily glow, but at least not turning brown or breaking into pieces

now will try out new experiment ... :lol: .. cheapo lah.. nano glo still too high a price

will use the E14 light holder with a 5W Philips bulb (equal to 25W wor)

gona ON the light for 16hours ...

if cannot make it .. go for nano glo .. else invest $$ saved on LPS :P

• SRC Member

after putting the remaining few strand of chaeto near the window for 2 weeks ... with occasional adding of used tank water,

can see there is actually growth .. though not grren grwwn with oily glow, but at least not turning brown or breaking into pieces

now will try out new experiment ... :lol: .. cheapo lah.. nano glo still too high a price

will use the E14 light holder with a 5W Philips bulb (equal to 25W wor)

gona ON the light for 16hours ...

if cannot make it .. go for nano glo .. else invest $$ saved on LPS :P

Good luck! Can try using the led i mentioned...:) $20 only... Hahaha!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I also need a cheap LED for my tank but I am not sure which one is the best. As I already wrote here I am new and now I am trying to build my own tank. I need so many things and most of them are expensive. On the weekend I checked Serenata online florists in UK for plants and flowers. I think I will order them online because this is cheaper and more convenient. Will check the Internet in order to find more cheap things for my new tank.

ill share with what i did to my tank for growing chaeto in my sump.it only cost me $4.90 for the light holder and $8.00 for the led bulb.been with me for more than 3 months or so.i even managed to give it to some chaeto to a bro who came over to my place last month.i think it do not need strong light but it need bright light.

here's the pics.

post-17381-0-89758600-1333542282_thumb.j

post-17381-0-61485800-1333542297_thumb.j

2 FEET CUBE REEF DISCO(60cmx60cmx60cm)

TOTAL 286 LITERS WITH SUMP

LIGHTS:PHAROS LED 90 WATTS WITH WIRELESS CONTROLLER

RETURN PUMP:EHEIM 1260
CHILLER:HAILEA 150A + EHEIM COMPACT 1000 WITH EXT TEMP CONTROLLER
WAVEMAKER:JEBAO WP25
REACTOR:TLF PHOSBAN REACTOR 150 WITH EHEIM 600(ROWAPHOS)
SKIMMER:H&H S150 WITH AQUABEE 2000/1

MEDIA:BACTERIA KING

GLASS CLEANER:ALGAE FREE PIRANHA FLOAT WITH EASY BLADE

ATO:TUNZE NANO OSMOLATOR 3152

RO/DI PURIFIER:ZeRO EX5 - RO/DI ULTRA 200 WITH HM DIGITAL DM-1 IN-LINE DUAL TDS METER