Fluidized reactor refugium

Madkenz

Ken,

I tried it, it worked, but not as well for me. Like you, I had the same haphazard shaped chaetos, then bits of the chaeto died on one side. I needed higher flow to get the chaeto moving but it got stuck at the top grill after a while. The solution was to cut the chaetos into a few little tight balls and let it float around with the flow.

I plan to use 2 x CFL bulbs on opposite sides (remove the sticker) and the entire thing enclosed in a reflective box.

I saw how the 3D effect of the Santa Monica Algae Scrubber works. I am wondering if I dump some green hair algae in there without anything to cling on, they will survive.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Ken,

I tried it, it worked, but not as well for me. Like you, I had the same haphazard shaped chaetos, then bits of the chaeto died on one side. I needed higher flow to get the chaeto moving but it got stuck at the top grill after a while. The solution was to cut the chaetos into a few little tight balls and let it float around with the flow.

I plan to use 2 x CFL bulbs on opposite sides (remove the sticker) and the entire thing enclosed in a reflective box.

I saw how the 3D effect of the Santa Monica Algae Scrubber works. I am wondering if I dump some green hair algae in there without anything to cling on, they will survive.

It seems to be working, this picture shows cheato grown rate after 3 days in the FR.

+1 for adding reflective sticker over the chamber wall. :thumbsup:

post-18618-0-70093900-1319175015_thumb.j

:welldone: I am going to try one myself. Thanks for the sharing. Thumbs up for you

Do share with us your setup and progress.

2nd phase of experiment, replace chaeto with macro algae caulerpa. With monitor the grow rate after one week, stay tune ya.

post-18618-0-52460200-1319781356_thumb.j