Skimmer for two ft tank?

Hi, anyone can recommend a skimmer for a two feet tank? My tank is one that comes with light and an overhead filter.

I replace the light with one of those PL/act and raised it. But no sump tank to put skimmer. Should i do away with the overhead? I am also using an internal power filter together with a canister filter.

Tks

• SRC Member

I am using a sanders piccolo in my 1.5 feet. Still ok, can produce dark green tea. But I would suggest a venturi skimmer if you can afford the space. I got a 2011 + pump at about 60% of the price of a prizm skimmer. Prizm is no doubt nicer and neater in terms of look, but personally I think it is too expensive. If you can afford more money, may be you can get a 2014 + an external pump. I am using a 2014 + ehiem 1260 for my 2 feet tank. It is producing very black skimmate. But if you do use the 2014 and ehiem pump, do try place the skimmer slightly higher, because the pump is a really strong one and may over drive the skimmer and cause a lot of overflow...

• SRC Member

I don't have a DC. Here is a pic from the official website. It is driven by air pump. Cost around $45. Can get cheaper if you source around. There may be even some 2nd hand ones here in the selling thread. I think there is a cheaper china imitation, as mentioned by some of the forumers here. Personally I have not seen them.

But if you do decide to use this skimmer, I would suggest you maintain low bio load, try to keep the water level constant.

post-6-1073929091.jpg

• SRC Member

;) Hi all,

I just wanna shared my experience with 2ft tank, i used to use the china AA brand protein skimmer (air stone type) $15 i think. It work ok constantly need to wash the cup even though after 1 week it is only greenish brown only, i got the most LS die also. Later i bought a 2nd hand Weipro 2011 $45 & test it wow it is totally different the cup is coffee black after a week.

PS is a very important mechanical system in the tank, if u want to save cost then wait for people who upgrade their tank.. chances they will sell everything they have in 2 ft tank.

Recently a lot of people upgrade their tank average abt 6 months only.. so my friend patience is the answer.. anyway Weipro PS is not so ex lah!!

Learn from a lot people Weipro PS is good lah!!

:peace:

• SRC Member

AA is OK if only u have mass bubbles. U can use it using a strong airpump but if ur airpump small, may have problem. 2ft tank, I suggest AA is OK as saw lots of ppl using it, no prob as long as mass bubbles out.

• SRC Member

Sorry I do not have a DC. Basically I use an eheim 1260 in an external fashion and hook it up to the weipro 2014 for my 2 feeter . My tank is on a table where there is space to place the pump and skimmer just beside the tank. There is a U tube which draws water from the tank and you will have to cut the tubes on the weipro skimmer because the original tubes are too long.

I agree: the piccolo is not very much different from the cheaper ones. When I first started out marine, there weren't so many OEM skimmers around. The piccolo I have now is legacy from my first tank.

:)

• SRC Member

Just som exp i have to share with you guys who's using those ait driven ones.. I believe in the maket there's 2 brnad of those wooden stone. One is "aa" and another is "sander". Once every 2 months , you might change the stone and i'll suggest get "sander. They produce finer bubbles than AA which is what we need from these type of skimmers.

I believe price also around same.

• SRC Member
Just som exp i have to share with you guys who's using those ait driven ones.. I believe in the maket there's 2 brnad of those wooden stone. One is "aa" and another is "sander". Once every 2 months , you might change the stone and i'll suggest get "sander. They produce finer bubbles than AA which is what we need from these type of skimmers.

I believe price also around same.

go buy the AA one and change a better stone or wood lah...its all the same.. dun need to spend that much.. $8 vs $40.. thats alot.... and the AA one isn't made of lousy plastic though.. I think its quite good and tough...

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/