Clam opened up after 2 days

Senses

• SRC Member

My clam that was bought 2 days ago just decided to open it's shell...it was still ok the night before. I could still see the bright blue strips. What could be the reason? My water parameters are good and the rest of the corals are ok... :rip:

banner_1.aspx?id=garryljf&t=8

My clam that was bought 2 days ago just decided to open it's shell...it was still ok the night before. I could still see the bright blue strips. What could be the reason? My water parameters are good and the rest of the corals are ok... :rip:

Beside good water parameters, clams need med-high light . IMHO, It will not open widely if light are not strong enough :whistle !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Beside good water parameters, clams need med-high light . IMHO, It will not open widely if light are not strong enough :whistle !

Thanks for the info bro... Using lumen aqua 300 which is very strong light for my pico tank. Haha maybe too bright that caused it to be cooked so decided to leave it's shell. :poster_oops: Nevertheless still wish to get another one from CF, hopefully would turn out right this time.

Hi Bro,

Another issue might be your placement of the clam.

When you're going to purchase your next clam. Look for out the minimum pointers below:

1. Watch for gaping Clams. The clam will stay like this for as long as the clam is unhealthy.
  2. Examine the mantle. The clams mantle should be colorful everywhere with no clear or white areas. Colorless areas may be the result of poor lighting, predators, or disease. A clam will quickly recover from poor lighting once conditions are improved.
  3. Also check for rips and tears in the mantle. A healthy mantle should be extended over the edge of the shell and not pulled inwards.
  4. Check the clam's reactions. A healthy clam should react to external stimulus by forcefully closing its shell. Newly imported and transported clams tend to react more slowly, but will improve as they regain their strength.
  5. Check the clam's byssus gland. The byssus gland should be undamaged. You should not see any torn or loose tissue hanging from the bottom of the clam.

Cheers.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Another issue might be your placement of the clam.

When you're going to purchase your next clam. Look for out the minimum pointers below:

1. Watch for gaping Clams. The clam will stay like this for as long as the clam is unhealthy.
  2. Examine the mantle. The clams mantle should be colorful everywhere with no clear or white areas. Colorless areas may be the result of poor lighting, predators, or disease. A clam will quickly recover from poor lighting once conditions are improved.
  3. Also check for rips and tears in the mantle. A healthy mantle should be extended over the edge of the shell and not pulled inwards.
  4. Check the clam's reactions. A healthy clam should react to external stimulus by forcefully closing its shell. Newly imported and transported clams tend to react more slowly, but will improve as they regain their strength.
  5. Check the clam's byssus gland. The byssus gland should be undamaged. You should not see any torn or loose tissue hanging from the bottom of the clam.

Cheers.

Wow thks bro! Very good information shared. I will take note of it. Realized that point 3 & 5 seems to be some of the signs the clam had. Thanks bro, will take note on my next purchase. :ThanxSmiley: