Feeding Frogfish

ozy

• SRC Member

I have just shifted my froggies to a bigger tank. Now I have the problem of feeding because the fishes are all hiding in the LR. Anyone has any suggestions or can share with me what you are currently doing?

• SRC Member
I have just shifted my froggies to a bigger tank. Now I have the problem of feeding because the fishes are all hiding in the LR. Anyone has any suggestions or can share with me what you are currently doing?

You can try chasing the fishes to it.. Sometimes I do that for my Lion.. ;) .. most of the time they just didn't see the fishes.. gotta make them see first..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Froggies are ambush predators.. they dun really hunt in that sense.. the fishes would have to go to their own demise... ;) u might want to consider releasing the fishes near them...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

I am having a hard time releasing the fish near them because once my tweezers/hand go near them, they become shy and starts to shift away. Have to start training them to get used to me. Maybe it is because of the new environment...

BTW, is it possible to train them to take other food like market prawns?

• SRC Member
I am having a hard time releasing the fish near them because once my tweezers/hand go near them, they become shy and starts to shift away. Have to start training them to get used to me. Maybe it is because of the new environment...

no. you can't spoon feed them.. once they know you are there, they'll probably swim away.. try to chase the food near it.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

should be able to train them to do so, provided that they eat them... just need to wriggle them to deceive them that it is alive...

and u are very brave to use hand to feed your froggies.. i dun even do that when i had lionfish after an accident that left my finger bleeding... ;)

as i dun have the faintest of idea on how big is your froggies and tank size, a bit hard for me to imagine... but no worries, froggies can go long period without food... but they will move ard to a location with better view of the prey..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Sorry my fault. I should have given a clearer picture. :bow:

I have four 1.5inch frog fish in a 2.5 ft tank.

My froggies seems quite docile. They just stone stone sit there staring into blank space.

• SRC Member
Sorry my fault. I should have given a clearer picture. :bow:

I have four 1.5inch frog fish in a 2.5 ft tank.

My froggies seems quite docile. They just stone stone sit there staring into blank space.

that is ambush fish for u... :lol:

what is the height and water level of your tank.. does your LR or other structure allows it to have access to near the top of the water level?

• SRC Member
Height is 1.5 feet. I have a twin peaks structure for my LR about 14 inches high.

twins peaks.. hmmmm.... hehehehe :P:P

if they still not able to eat the fishes, think u can try ghost shrimps..easier for them...

• SRC Member

I kept one before:) My tank is a 3.5footer and 2.5ft deep. What i did was feeding it with molly clamped with the standard grey clipper and wriggle it in front of him. As time goes by, it kinda associate the clipper with food and thus will take anything from me including frozen shrimps when it sees the clipper.

I sold it away as its too "inconveniet" for me to feed him with such tank depth:)

Hope this helps. :evil:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi,

are you referring to the live shrimp found commonly in LFS for freshwater fish ? would they die in saltwater ?

LimPC

they will survive for a while.. just long enuff for the froggies to eat them.. hahaha...

for those who are interested, PR has a nice yellow froggie that came in yesterday.. dun know the price though.. never asked...

• SRC Member
I kept one before:) My tank is a 3.5footer and 2.5ft deep. What i did was feeding it with molly clamped with the standard grey clipper and wriggle it in front of him. As time goes by, it kinda associate the clipper with food and thus will take anything from me including frozen shrimps when it sees the clipper.

I sold it away as its too "inconveniet" for me to feed him with such tank depth:)

Hope this helps. :evil:

for frogfishes, its better to feed live shrimps coz these fishes are always on the sandbed. Mollies and guppies are swimming kind and also too fast.

• SRC Member

Hi,

Just gotten the froggy as attached.

About 1.5" in total length. Dun think it can gobble up mollies or guppies. WIll try shrimp tonight. Haven't been eating since saturday. sigh.

It's very thrilling to watch how this little forggy wiggling its "lure". First time I saw it, still thought there was a bristle worm dancing in front of it.

LimPC

post-8-1076467273.jpg

• SRC Member

yours is a furry one.. hahah....

• Sponsor

:lol: hey that looks familar...sold one a few days ago, was feeding it on mollies and freshwater shrimps....gobbled up every thing! ....and talk about the wriggling lure, thought I had a worm problem too :yeah:

Well, one thing i learnt about froggies is that they are lazy and will wait for a meal to position itself....be patient, if it wriggles the lure, it has spotted prey and is hungry!

• SRC Member
And if u guys have not seen eaquarist 'giant' frogfish ... U better be going ... it is simply a beauty ...

i got so attracted to it & missed the bus .. :P

beauty.. haha.. its scary actually.. dunno what will happen if I put my fingers near it.. ;)

:lol: hey that looks familar...sold one a few days ago, was feeding it on mollies and freshwater shrimps....gobbled up every thing! ....and talk about the wriggling lure, thought I had a worm problem too :yeah:

Well, one thing i learnt about froggies is that they are lazy and will wait for a meal to position itself....be patient, if it wriggles the lure, it has spotted prey and is hungry!

yeah ! that was sold to me !!! feeding for this one doesn't pose much of a problem because of the natural 'bait' it uses. It even attracted my Naso, YT & PT but of course these were much bigger than he is and he didnt attempt anything.

fed it with swortails - 1 a day. think it's too much cause can see his tummy bloated. will reduce to 1 in 2 days. :D

Satisfied purchase !! :D

• SRC Member

ya, probably mine spotted the damn damsel. How I wish my froggy whacked the shit out of the damsel.

LimPC