My journey to first Marine Tank

spkentchai

• SRC Member
Juz wondering why u r keeping ur salinity this low?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hmm....I used NSW from LCK and never really measure the parameter until Day6....I added salt into sump after reading this....now SG is 1.023

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Hmmm actually salinity is affected by temperature, so when your temperature go down, salinity will go up. When I am cycling my tank, at 30 degree, salinity is 1.025 when temp go down to 26, salinity go up to 1.030. :chair:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member
Hmmm actually salinity is affected by temperature, so when your temperature go down, salinity will go up. When I am cycling my tank, at 30 degree, salinity is 1.025 when temp go down to 26, salinity go up to 1.030.

Ok ok....thanks

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

Day 8 - Surface of the sand and Live Rock start to turn brown....is this brown algae...,,.also install 2 refractometer to return pump pipe,,,,make the water look more wavy....lol

post-21276-13323353351751_thumb.jpg

post-21276-13323353534203_thumb.jpg

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

I think the water level for your skimmer is a little too low. The recommended water level for BM skimmers is either half the body or at least 10 inches, depending on which model you purchased.

Bro, do you mean that the skimmer is not working well, therefore have algae? I haven on my skimmer yet wor.....as recommended by some to on skimmer after bateria boommmmm.....lol

Please advise....

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

It's perfectly fine to switch on the skimmer during cycling. Judging from the pic you posted, the skimmer is on, so hence my comment above. Brown algae blooms during cycling is expected. They are called diatoms. Are you using DI/RO or distilled water? If you are using tap water, it will be a never ending fight with diatoms.

Day 8 - Surface of the sand and Live Rock start to turn brown....is this brown algae...,,.also install 2 refractometer to return pump pipe,,,,make the water look more wavy....lol

diatoms are part of the cycling process....check your phosphate level as well

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

Diatom or red slime algae problem is pretty common especially in a new tank, and it is mainly cause by high nutrient in your tank. Just turn off your light during the cycling period and it will help alot.

• SRC Member

I think the water level for your skimmer is a little too low. The recommended water level for BM skimmers is either half the body or at least 10 inches, depending on which model you purchased.

diatoms are part of the cycling process....check your phosphate level as well

Diatom or red slime algae problem is pretty common especially in a new tank, and it is mainly cause by high nutrient in your tank. Just turn off your light during the cycling period and it will help alot.

Thanks understand now...will on skimmer...topup water to 1/2 body of skimmer....off the lights and check phosphate level...cheers

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

Day 9 - just did a check on the parameters....Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm (mg/l).....does that means that Cycling completed??

I dont think this parameters are accurrate...i just topup 10l of water and shoudn't have tested immediately....dont crack your head...thanks.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Day5 - Done some cleaning to the sump and clear some debris....fit in the Skimmer....standby....

IMG_9052.jpg

Hi spkentchai, it's better to leave out mechanical rings in the sump. Use live rocks instead. In additon, add as many more live rocks in the main tank as possible. To effectively cultivate bacteria, try running FR with NP Bio or JS.. It helps alot...

Just my 02 cents..

Cheers and happy reefing

What Matters Is Not By Comparing Ourselves With Others

What We Can Do For Others Matters Most

• SRC Member

Hi spkentchai, it's better to leave out mechanical rings in the sump. Use live rocks instead. In additon, add as many more live rocks in the main tank as possible. To effectively cultivate bacteria, try running FR with NP Bio or JS.. It helps alot...

Just my 02 cents..

Cheers and happy reefing

Hi Bro Daryl,

Do you mean the filter bag at the overflow pipe down to the sump?

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Hi Bro Daryl,

Do you mean the filter bag at the overflow pipe down to the sump?

Yes. Try replace existing m.rings with some LR. To maintain bacteria balance, run a good FR with bio-pellets.

:)

No la, dun do that, it will make it worst. Most likely the bac boom is due to bio pellet. Nothing inside the tank, so the extra bac escape in the tank and cause the bac boom. Give it sometime, when the system stable the cloudy will disappear, or u can turn off the bio pellet.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Yes. Try replace existing m.rings with some LR. To maintain bacteria balance, run a good FR with bio-pellets.

:)

To each its own.. but method works for me :) Cultivating bacteria not only will supply as an alternative food source to some corals and mandarin fish, it will reduce nitrates drastically..

Below are some pics of my sump...

post-4555-0-19441700-1332643147_thumb.jp

post-4555-0-70504800-1332643155_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• SRC Member

No la, dun do that, it will make it worst. Most likely the bac boom is due to bio pellet. Nothing inside the tank, so the extra bac escape in the tank and cause the bac boom. Give it sometime, when the system stable the cloudy will disappear, or u can turn off the bio pellet.

Ok Ok....see from a lot of forum that that is the normal process to have bac boom...im doing a 10-20% water change to bring down the NO3...

To each its own.. but method works for me :) Cultivating bacteria not only will supply as an alternative food source to some corals and mandarin fish, it will reduce nitrates drastically..

Below are some pics of my sump...

Thanks Bro. Appreciate you sharing your setup too....in fact there are so many variations of setup out there...i have been to one of the reefer house...he totally never use any skimmer and just depend on the bio filtration system that he design thru trial n error.....so appreciate your sharing....one thing that I have learnt from this forum is that "All reefers are so willing to share their knowledge with newbie like me" Kudos....

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank