$2k for 2ft Marine Setup?

Hi there,

Is it possible for setting up a marine tank (fishes + corals) for $2k?

I thought of having the following:

- a customized rimless tank (2 x 1.5 x 1.5)

- a customized wooden cabinet (heard that chengai wood will not rot easily)

- a chiller

- sump and refugim tank below

- pinwheel protein skimmer

- LED lightings

- other accessories (piping, LR and LS)

Any other essential things required? Also, any great idea/layout of the the tank and cabinet design to share?

thanks!

Yes, it is possible to setup a 2ft tank within 2k and maybe you can still have some balance left depending on the equipment you choose.

For the sump design, there are many idea which you can opt for under the member tank thread section or you could also work with your tank maker or design on your own. Ideally, the sump sequence should consist of the following stages ;

1) mechanical filtration ( Filter sock , Filter wools ect.. )

2) Biological filtration ( Filter media for bacteria colonization )

3) Protein skimmer

4) Chemical filtration ( Reactor with P04, N04 removing media or carbon) This can be place before or after the skimmer

5) Refugium ( With Deep Sand Bed and plant for natural nutrient export ) - optional

6) Return pump to main tank

Hope the above information helps. Happy reefing.

based on most reefer prefers

Eheim 1260 $242, Bubble Magus NAC 7 $230, Hailea HC 150A $398, Tunze 6025 $85

rocks + sand $50, NSW $100, 4-6 fish + coral $200, testkit + misc $50

$645 for tank and LED lighting, very tight unless you dont mind sourcing for 2nd hand

cheers

Yes, it is possible to setup a 2ft tank within 2k and maybe you can still have some balance left depending on the equipment you choose.

For the sump design, there are many idea which you can opt for under the member tank thread section or you could also work with your tank maker or design on your own. Ideally, the sump sequence should consist of the following stages ;

1) mechanical filtration ( Filter sock , Filter wools ect.. )

2) Biological filtration ( Filter media for bacteria colonization )

3) Protein skimmer

4) Chemical filtration ( Reactor with P04, N04 removing media or carbon) This can be place before or after the skimmer

5) Refugium ( With Deep Sand Bed and plant for natural nutrient export ) - optional

6) Return pump to main tank

Hope the above information helps. Happy reefing.

With a 2ft tank and cabinet, enough space below for mechanical, biological, chemical and refugium?

Look like the chiller has to be placed outside the cabinet :heh: Or can the cabinet be customized to be 3-layers? That means, the water tank will be the top layer, filtration and refugium on the middle layer and the chiller on the bottom layer? I like the tank to be high enough (1.6m) since I am tall so as to make my viewing more comfortable :P

based on most reefer prefers

Eheim 1260 $242, Bubble Magus NAC 7 $230, Hailea HC 150A $398, Tunze 6025 $85

rocks + sand $50, NSW $100, 4-6 fish + coral $200, testkit + misc $50

$645 for tank and LED lighting, very tight unless you dont mind sourcing for 2nd hand

cheers

Thanks for the great info. Will look out for 2nd hand ones.

If I intend to have corals, both SPS and LPS, do I need to have any other equipment, e.g. calcium reactor?

• SRC Member

Thanks for the great info. Will look out for 2nd hand ones.

If I intend to have corals, both SPS and LPS, do I need to have any other equipment, e.g. calcium reactor?

bro, get a dosing pump. no point getting CR as you having small tank. dosing pump will do the job

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I think it's possible with a 2ft. 2k the bros are correct some stuff like chiller and skimmer and lights dosing pump can go for 2nd hand items save a lot :)

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Supporter

equipments like return pump can invest first, like bro Zac suggest.. others can slowly source. ofcourse if you start your tank later than you have more time by sourcing now :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• 2 weeks later...