HEAd pain ... CRABS infested

HI ... got a head pain .. i found out recently that my 3 feet mixed tank have lots of crabs crawing out .. Firstly i saw 3 cabs on my Blue sponges.. What should i do .. POUR TINNER hahhah :D 1) Any addtives out there willl kill CRABS ... or 2) what should i do.. . I dont want to use the crab chatching method as i have failed... 3) will they attack my ANEmone and sponges.. THANKS ...

WAS SO angry that i wanted to pour tinner :evil::evil::evil::evil::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I have a least 3 in my tank but they are harmless. I am leaving my alone.

If you want to kill yours, you can stave them by controlling your feeding. Put in brine shrimp a little at a time to ensure that your fishes finish all of the food and none is leave cycling in your tank.

Sooner or later you will see bodies of your crab.

If you want to kill yours, you can stave them by controlling your feeding. Put in brine shrimp a little at a time to ensure that your fishes finish all of the food and none is leave cycling in your tank.

This will not work.....

Crabs are scarvengers and feed on almost anything.

Too hungry may even eat your fishes.

HI ... got a head pain .. i found out recently that my 3 feet mixed tank have lots of crabs crawing out .. Firstly i saw 3 cabs on my Blue sponges.. What should i do .. POUR TINNER hahhah :D 1) Any addtives out there willl kill CRABS ... or 2) what should i do.. . I dont want to use the crab chatching method as i have failed... 3) will they attack my ANEmone and sponges.. THANKS ...

I tried using market prawn in tilted chicken essence bottle but failed.

Tried using mysis shrimp inside and quite successful to catch the crab.

Now I use mysis shrimp + cyclop-eez and even more successful, probably you might like to give it a try. I think the strong smell attracts the crab.

• SRC Member

talk about sponges.. I think most crabs come from blue sponges... <_<

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
ARE you sure they wont bite my anemone or my sponges ..... :D

They won't bite sponges, they just live in it.. <_<

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
I have a least 3 in my tank but they are harmless. I am leaving my alone.

harmless only when they are still small therefore appetite smaller.

There is no way to starve a crab.. they can live in a bunch of LRs in a LFS, what makes you think they are starving? ..If you notice, they pick on live rocks for food..at least for small ones.

• SRC Member
So you mean its not a problem if i leave them alone.. :angel::thanks: By the way thanks for thoese whoo answered

It might not be a problem if they are small. but when they get bigger, they might disturb of eat your LSs.

GiantBicycle...

You have to learn how to ID your crabs first before deciding whether to keep them or get rid of them.

There are many harmless commensual crabs which live on corals and do not harm anything. These are mainly filter feeders and perhaps keep the coral clean of detritus and do serve the function of protecting the coral from predators.

The only crabs that need to be killed are the hairy ones... with white eyes... IME... these are the ones that will damage corals.

I hardly hear of any crab that will destroy sponges... I have never seen any crabs that hitchhike with sponges sold in the trade.

Rock crabs... some people hate them... and will get rid of them. When they get too big, they may be a threat to small fishes like firefishes.

THANKS : AT and sorry for the mistake i had done.. Will learn from my mistake the next time :D By the way, As what i have obversed , the crabs in my tank do have Very long pinsers. And i think that the eyes are not white in colour as what You have Mentioned... THe crab is measured about 5 cm in length. and i think it is brown in colour .AS what i have seen the last time, i think it is quite HAriy on its pinsers..

HOPE THIS HELPS ... THANKS AT and thoese who replied :thanks:

• SRC Member

My fire goby have went missing same for my flame gobys which I have not seen for a few days already ...I am assuming that there is some crabs left ...so I did a chicken essence crab bait with the rubber band cross as recommended with a small piece of prawn meat inside.

This morning when I went to collect my prize...there was none and my prawn meat is gone ?

Smart crab or is it my fire shrimp manage to get in ?

• SRC Member
I hardly hear of any crab that will destroy sponges... I have never seen any crabs that hitchhike with sponges sold in the trade.

AH.. I bought my first blue sponge and realised one small crab in it...

left it alone since its small and only one...

then many weeks later I went to buy another one.. viola..another one in my tank.. one keeps hiding in the bigger sponge..

As there are many holes on big sponges, there are many places it can hide in. Whats worst is that we can't just take the sponge out to catch the crab as sponges cannot be in contact with air..

if you never heard of any such incident, then now you have.. <_< ..Twice in a row.. I might need to buy 4D or toto already.. ;)