HOB Skimmer for Nano/Pico Tank?

JeffL

Because of water quality, I think It will be good to invest in a RoDi system to clean up the water coming from the taps before mixing the salt mix in.

As u mention a High chance of power failure, do consider building up a good amount of bio filtration in the tank and let it do the job together with weekly water change. A well establish bio filtration process would work way better then mechanical filters for your tank size.

Macro aqua m30 is skimming good ...lots of skimate .. but the water outlet sometimes leak out micro bubbles into my main tank .. the instructions are not very clear so it took me 2 days before it is prime properly .. below image is how I place my m30 inside my nano

b2ce3d91d31a2d057b579ee719521637.jpg

• SRC Member
thanks for the advise guys it's going to be my first marine tank. As i'm now working at the northern part of china xi'an, water quality here was low. i bought a fluval edge 46L tank. As much as possible, i would like to change water every 2 weeks. There's also high chances of power failure here, thus i picked the air stone skimmer. Next option.. the tank comes with aquaclear 20, do you guys think it's wise to swap the mechanical filter out with this http://www.aqua-macro.com/newproducts/newproducts-00a-003.htm'>Macro Aqua M-30 ?
Since ur in China, this awesome skimmer wouldn't be hard to get. http://www.jnsaquaria.com/2007html/news/view.php?lang=eng&ID=55

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Mechanical filtration serves to trap debris in the tank but only until u physically remove it, the debris will still be in the tank and cause an ammonia spike which can be deadly.

That's where the skimmer and other biofilters and bio pellets come into play. These remove or changes ammonia to nitrate which is safer but have no way to remove debris.

Ideal will be to have both. But a simple mehanical filtration will be sufficient (if possible, DIY to combine with the bio filters so there is no need for extra pumps). Spend more time and money on your bio filters instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

after checking all the suggestion from the bros here. i still couldn't find a needlewheel skimmer for nano tank.

so i tested out this china air stone skimmer($130RMB only) on my cycling tank.

i've tested the MAME Protein Skimmer 3 as well. not as good for my setup as the fluval edge tank cover limits it's height. but it's really a beauty

Results seems good for now without any livestock yet. cross finger!

314fgc6.jpg2ik5nao.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, think it is better to turn off skimmer during cycling (unless u are cycling with live fishes).

Else the skimmer will skim up all the decomposed things and nothing left for the bacteria to feed on

thanks bro. looks like 2 weeks of cycling wasted for a marine tank noob :(

no wonder no algae at all yet...