DIY ATS and update of result

klim

• SRC Member

I have started a DIY of ATS 3 weeks back. I was guided by a kind reefer, Mike. He has not just showed but explained and shared his ATS experienced. Hence I also would like to contribute to the community if of any help. I know that there are many experienced reefer that has done a great ATS for past few years. Kudos to those that has shared their joy and pain.

Anyway let me start off. I have used my IOS flow to attached the ATS to it in the sump.

post-3973-13441547460817_thumb.jpg

After talking to Mike, I used his picture and went down to Serangoon pet shop area to fabricate the piping needed.

post-3973-1344154857853_thumb.jpg

I have used Mike picture as I did not take mine. Credit to Mike.

Mike have me a net which he brought extra from Artworks. He helped me using the hole saw to roughen the net.

post-3973-13441550409274_thumb.jpg

I came back connect ye pipe to my existing downstream piping with the net.

post-3973-13441551168151_thumb.jpg

I used some algae from Mike and used it to start up quicker as I read from Santa Monica site.

• SRC Member

Hi. I just cane across a thread regarding ats at reefcentral. there was a heated argument regarding usefulness of ats.

ATS dates back to 80s n many pple follow trend n later somehow no good and ATS died off but now made a come back.

there's new improve designs.

also chanced upon the type of algae the ats culture. it seems like red is not good, only green is good. it is due to the lighting.

here's the thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196359

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

I think red is because I had too much phosphate. Waiting to get test kits to test. Green will come only if I have live stocks. I have non now.

But at least it captured the red so my DT is clean from any no good algae.

Thanks David and will monitor. Still need skimmer as ATS is not magic formula.

• SRC Member

Wahahaha David, after seeing the thread about them fighting. Haiz, every tank are different and everything have their place. Whether a fuge, skimmer, ATS or anything that helps to reduce NO3 and PO4 is good. I believed to keep the water balance, beside residing using all this method, water change is important as our tank are contained unlike the big Ocean. Hence a good husbandry will make the fish, coral and owner happy.

Just my 2c.

Thanks!

Kelvin Lim

• SRC Member

Wahahaha David, after seeing the thread about them fighting. Haiz, every tank are different and everything have their place. Whether a fuge, skimmer, ATS or anything that helps to reduce NO3 and PO4 is good. I believed to keep the water balance, beside residing using all this method, water change is important as our tank are contained unlike the big Ocean. Hence a good husbandry will make the fish, coral and owner happy.

Just my 2c.

Thanks!

Kelvin Lim

Ya. Like 邓小平said "Don't care black cat or white cat, a cat that can catch a rat is a good cat".

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 5 months later...

Based on the algae photo, your tank have high nutrient. It will take a couple of week for the nutrient to reduce n when u see green algae growing n less black sludge, it's maturing n I advise you to increase your flow if possible or increase light period until u notice yellow algae(indication for less nutrient, too much light) there fore reduce your light period till the yellow algae turns green back. Remember Always clean weekly as stated in algaescrubber.net