distilled water

blondmyth

Already bought a DI system, but currently no stock.

Just cycled my 30g tank, about 3 inches of water have already evaporated. Say I do a 20 per cent wc to reduce nitrate level, plus the additional water needed to make up for the loss through evaporation, wouldn't I need like 20 1.5 litre bottles of distilled water? Cost is one thing, but not easy carrying 20 bottles when u don't drive. Any advice anyone?

• SRC Member

Already bought a DI system, but currently no stock.

Just cycled my 30g tank, about 3 inches of water have already evaporated. Say I do a 20 per cent wc to reduce nitrate level, plus the additional water needed to make up for the loss through evaporation, wouldn't I need like 20 1.5 litre bottles of distilled water? Cost is one thing, but not easy carrying 20 bottles when u don't drive. Any advice anyone?

Yes totally agree. Where do you stay. if you stay in the west. just bring over a jelly can. i provide you FOC
  • Like 1

Where selling?

I believe that could be distilled water rather than DI water.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Deionized Water Defined

Deionized water is made by exposing tap or natural spring water to electrically charged resins, which bind to the mineral ions or salts in the water, including calcium, iron, copper, sodium, bromide and chloride, and remove them.

Distilled Water Defined

Distilled water is also demineralized water, but the minerals are removed through distillation, which involves converting spring water to steam. Since the minerals are too heavy, they remain behind while the vapor or mist is collected as it cools and condenses to create distilled water. If distilled correctly, the water should contain only oxygen and hydrogen molecules, have a PH level of 7 and contain no other minerals, contaminants or gases.

credit to:

Read more: Deionized Vs. Distilled Water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5398356_deionized-water-vs-distilled-water.html#ixzz27Lnlanfi

• Like 1

that time i remember i read somewhere one of the members here DIY his DI water, can produce 0 TDS. he did it buy circulating water in a tub with a powerhead, and placing a bag of DI resin in the water. might be something to look at if you don't wanna spend money on a RO/DI unit.

Yes totally agree. Where do you stay. if you stay in the west. just bring over a jelly can. i provide you FOC

reefers are certainly a totally different breed altogether. you dont often see people with such gracious behaviour over at the freshwater forums. :)

appreciate the kind gesture, stay in the west, but i dont drive, so wont be fun lugging back a jelly can.

as it is, im buying distilled water from my nearby ntuc. tank almost at the end of the cycling period, did a wc and added salt mix which was correct, but also added salt mix for the water that evaporated over the past few weeks. realised the mistake the next day. went back to ntuc to get more distilled water for wc to bring down the salinity. almost cleared out their entire stock within 2 days. 48 1.5litre bottles, lugging them back in a trolley is no joke, and im not exactly a small guy.

have already placed an order with Madpetz for their DI 3 stage, hopefully no more trips to ntuc when it arrives in 2 weeks. :)