Biopellet Reactor vs Bacteria Dosing

illumnae

• SRC Member

Hi all, I am about to start my first proper marine tank (have a simple office nano that I am keeping as well). It will be a 3x2x2 running a BM Curve 7 skimmer.

I'm trying to get things right from the start and have thus been reading up on nitrate and phosphate export. I understand that the main methods of doing this are ATS, Refugium, Biopellets, Vodka dosing or Bacteria Dosing (e.g. Prodibio Biodigest).

Due to space constraints, I'm not able to utilizie a Refugium, and I'm too much of a klutz to build an ATS. Vodka dosing is for the pros, not newbies like me. Hence, I'm left with the final 2 options.

Having done some research on Biopellets and Bacteria Dosing, the conclusions I've drawn is that Biopellets are highly effective and if they're run from Day 1 of cycling, most of the inherent problems with them (i.e. cyanobacteria) do not occur. On the other hand, they strip the water too clean of nutrients and LPS/Soft corals tend to suffer. Over time, I may need to utlize additional phosphate removal methods such as GFO as Biopellets are more effective in removing nitrates and not so much phosphates.

For Bacteria dosing, it is slightly more of a hassle, having to dose every 2 weeks. It's effective in lowering nitrates and some phosphates, but I will need to run phosphate removal from day 1. It is also not as effective as Biopellets and so there will be low but still detectable nitrates in the water.

Taking into account that my intention is to start off with mainly a LPS/NPS/Softies setup, with the possibility (but not 100% sure) that I may graduate to SPS over time, would you recommend that I utilize a Biopellet and GFO reactor (powered by the same pump) from day 1? or would it be sufficient that I dose Biodigest every 2 weeks and leave it as that. If I dose Biodigest, I intend to use Seachem PhosGuard in a filter bag instead of a GFO reactor.

** Keeping in mind, of course, that my skimmer is pretty well reviewed and is overpowered for my tank size (Curve 7 is rated for 700-900 litres, my tank is 300+ litres only).

• SRC Member

Hi all, I am about to start my first proper marine tank (have a simple office nano that I am keeping as well). It will be a 3x2x2 running a BM Curve 7 skimmer.

I'm trying to get things right from the start and have thus been reading up on nitrate and phosphate export. I understand that the main methods of doing this are ATS, Refugium, Biopellets, Vodka dosing or Bacteria Dosing (e.g. Prodibio Biodigest).

Due to space constraints, I'm not able to utilizie a Refugium, and I'm too much of a klutz to build an ATS. Vodka dosing is for the pros, not newbies like me. Hence, I'm left with the final 2 options.

Having done some research on Biopellets and Bacteria Dosing, the conclusions I've drawn is that Biopellets are highly effective and if they're run from Day 1 of cycling, most of the inherent problems with them (i.e. cyanobacteria) do not occur. On the other hand, they strip the water too clean of nutrients and LPS/Soft corals tend to suffer. Over time, I may need to utlize additional phosphate removal methods such as GFO as Biopellets are more effective in removing nitrates and not so much phosphates.

For Bacteria dosing, it is slightly more of a hassle, having to dose every 2 weeks. It's effective in lowering nitrates and some phosphates, but I will need to run phosphate removal from day 1. It is also not as effective as Biopellets and so there will be low but still detectable nitrates in the water.

Taking into account that my intention is to start off with mainly a LPS/NPS/Softies setup, with the possibility (but not 100% sure) that I may graduate to SPS over time, would you recommend that I utilize a Biopellet and GFO reactor (powered by the same pump) from day 1? or would it be sufficient that I dose Biodigest every 2 weeks and leave it as that. If I dose Biodigest, I intend to use Seachem PhosGuard in a filter bag instead of a GFO reactor.

** Keeping in mind, of course, that my skimmer is pretty well reviewed and is overpowered for my tank size (Curve 7 is rated for 700-900 litres, my tank is 300+ litres only).

Since u dun have a refugium, u going to install 2 FR inside the display tank. it's going to take up quite an amount of space. also might look bit out of place, but if u dun mind then OK. I suppose u looking at the hangon DD ocean.

A lps/nps/softies don't need too gd quality water. Previously I only have biopellets in my sump.

U can just do water change more often to reduce the nitrate n phosphate.

Most would recommend the media be inside a FR to be more efficient.

Ultimately u can have biopellets n a phosremover media to take care of yr nutrients. Once u stock up u can start the FR.

As for the Skimmer, I just read about it. quite sad abt it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

One more thing, be aware tat the gfo might get blown into the display tank, though no risk.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

The reactors would be in the sump,not the display tank

oh misunderstood. try to have a refugium. yet sump is 3 compartment?

remember dun put any Bio balls or bacteria king in 1st compartment where the downpipe is. will become nitrate bed.

Power consumption

Bacteria dosing is a must in order to maintain a healthy population of good bacteria.

Given space constraints, I would think biopellets reactor is a better option over phosphate reactor if u can only choose between one.

The biopellets will be a food source for the bacteria & keep them multiplying & replacing dying ones. Bacteria is also a food source for the corals so it is good to replenish them.

Biopellets shouldn't results in a ultra low nutrient system unlike zeovit. So not to worry too much on this affecting corals.

The bacteria will remove some phosphate though not as fast as phosphate reactor. If u find phosphate too high & can't fit in a reactor, u can put it in a bag & use it as a passive remover ie. place it near a flow in the sump.

Why no one is mentioning dosing either sugar, vinegar or vodka to control phosphate and nitrate? Cheaper with less equipment used.

Carbon dosing would be the cure for cancer equivalent to reef tanks if they didn't have such high chances of causing a cyano outbreak...

• SRC Member

Thanks for the suggestion BFG :) I did mention it in my first post...from what I read, it seems to be something best left for the experts, as it's very easy to get it going wrong and crash the tank. I'm a total newbie at keeping marine, so I thought it dabble in the more "idiot-proof" stuff first to get my hands wet before progressing on to vodka dosing. I would also prefer something less of a hassle as daily dosing of so many things (I would already be doing 2-part I think, as I'm keeping LPS) would bring me back to my planted tank days which I'm trying to avoid.