Fish or coral set up?

• SRC Member

ran the dymax fan for maybe 2hrs. the temp reading from 30 down to 29 the other thermometer reads from 29 down to 27dgree. is this ok for reefs / corals? if i was to leave the fan longer will it bring the temperature down more? if I install another fan will the temperature go dwn further?

• SRC Member

If u plan to use fan, better to on 24/7. Downside of course would be quicker evaporation and fluctuations in parameters due to evaporation. No choice if u want to lower temp. Can look for those ice probe for alternative since yours is a small tank...:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

If u plan to use fan, better to on 24/7. Downside of course would be quicker evaporation and fluctuations in parameters due to evaporation. No choice if u want to lower temp. Can look for those ice probe for alternative since yours is a small tank... :)

ice probe? hmm. interesting. where can i get them? Can i use ice cubes? :yahoo: since using fan and evaporates fast.

• SRC Member

I think using a chiller is the permanent solution...

for a 1 ft tank use chiller? hmmm.....maybe start with fan as want my mum to try out first once is all good and sucessful if we wanna upgrade tank of set of a 2nd tank then maybe will invest more...

• SRC Member

ice probe? hmm. interesting. where can i get them? Can i use ice cubes? :yahoo: since using fan and evaporates fast.

Ice cubes may be used for emergency but temperature will fluctuate when the ice becomes smaller!:D try asking reef depot for ice probe. If im not mistaken, there's a couple of peltier cooling equipment around clementi blk 328(c328). Ask the auntie.:) its like a mini chiller but not as efficient. Hmmm but if cost not worth it for a small tank, then u can continue using fan and like get your mum involved by topping up freshwater prepared and kept in bottles... Hahaha! At least she'll feel more into it...:)

• SRC Member

Ice cubes may be used for emergency but temperature will fluctuate when the ice becomes smaller! :D try asking reef depot for ice probe. If im not mistaken, there's a couple of peltier cooling equipment around clementi blk 328(c328). Ask the auntie. :) its like a mini chiller but not as efficient. Hmmm but if cost not worth it for a small tank, then u can continue using fan and like get your mum involved by topping up freshwater prepared and kept in bottles... Hahaha! At least she'll feel more into it... :)

tink tats a beta idea. cheers

• SRC Member

Nw we have shifted the tank to another end...just parents wanna rearrange the hall. Not sure how long the tank was stopped for but when we started it up and my mum rearrange the rocks i saw 2 strange things:

1. 1 pole thing sticking out of one of the rocks. Looks like one strand of toilet brush. Not moving cun see and thing except just strand of brownish thing sticking out.

2. There are like transparent hair on one of the rocks.

R these harmful?

• SRC Member

Nw we have shifted the tank to another end...just parents wanna rearrange the hall. Not sure how long the tank was stopped for but when we started it up and my mum rearrange the rocks i saw 2 strange things:

1. 1 pole thing sticking out of one of the rocks. Looks like one strand of toilet brush. Not moving cun see and thing except just strand of brownish thing sticking out.

2. There are like transparent hair on one of the rocks.

R these harmful?

Hmm shouldn't be a cause for worry. Pretty much normal i guess...:) btw i just remembered that ah beng's shop was using some led for his nano tanks. Can check with him next time when you're there. But that light should only limit you to simple and undemanding corals from my opinions.:) nice tank!:)

• SRC Member

Hmm shouldn't be a cause for worry. Pretty much normal i guess... :) btw i just remembered that ah beng's shop was using some led for his nano tanks. Can check with him next time when you're there. But that light should only limit you to simple and undemanding corals from my opinions. :) nice tank! :)

Maybe for a start try out with easy zoas / corals. Once this small start tank my mum is comfortable in handling (son to do all the work) if her interest increase then we may upgrade the tank or even set up another bigger tank. So now its baby steps. I hope.

• SRC Member

On the fan over night to check on the teamp. Maybe coz its a cold note but the temp dropped to 25 degree. so guess coral / reef is ok? If we wanna keep coral should we on the light 24hrs?

Hmmm if those good led, i guess average of 8 hours plus minus 1-2hrs or normal daylight hours would suffice. U can google to check what majority usually do then alter accordingly to your needs like coral types and viewing timing.:) no need to waste electricity for 24hrs even though its led...:D too much of something will nv be good...:) hope i helped.

• SRC Member

Hmmm if those good led, i guess average of 8 hours plus minus 1-2hrs or normal daylight hours would suffice. U can google to check what majority usually do then alter accordingly to your needs like coral types and viewing timing. :) no need to waste electricity for 24hrs even though its led... :D too much of something will nv be good... :) hope i helped.

Thx, its helpful. now is to see wat corals to add! cun wait to stock up the tank soon

• SRC Member

Thx, its helpful. now is to see wat corals to add! cun wait to stock up the tank soon

Hahaha! U can go to liveaquaria.com to look around to see the basic care and description of the corals/fishes u want or may be interested in.:)

• SRC Member

Haiz, today all the fish died. water condition is good maybe too salty. All the corals doing very well. Slug is fine and the shrimp actually changed shell. Bt we found many many white spots on the glass. They move and are alive! any1 can help advice if rthey are harmful? and if they kills my 2 clown and 1 box fish

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Upgraded for my mum to a 322 cabinet sump. So far the tank have been cycling for almost a month as the skimmer i bought do not seem to work. Thanks to a forumer i got BM 3.5 x 2. Cycle on tap water for about 2 wks maybe 3. put the 2 skimmers in just to test. I am suprised tat there is actually foam oming out in fresh water. Anyways, put about 10 kg of salt little less den i notice the foam keeps coming out for almost the whole night and day. This morning i notice not much form...does it mean the water is clearer? (BTW, i am guessing cause there is 3 - inch sand bed thus water is dirty). Yesterday my mum said she had to clear to 2 cups for almost 10 times. Today they foam is like not at all going into the cups....any1 can advice why? will test the water after my mum do her landscaping of rocks.