Fish or coral set up?

• SRC Member

Upgraded for my mum to a 322 cabinet sump. So far the tank have been cycling for almost a month as the skimmer i bought do not seem to work. Thanks to a forumer i got BM 3.5 x 2. Cycle on tap water for about 2 wks maybe 3. put the 2 skimmers in just to test. I am suprised tat there is actually foam oming out in fresh water. Anyways, put about 10 kg of salt little less den i notice the foam keeps coming out for almost the whole night and day. This morning i notice not much form...does it mean the water is clearer? (BTW, i am guessing cause there is 3 - inch sand bed thus water is dirty). Yesterday my mum said she had to clear to 2 cups for almost 10 times. Today they foam is like not at all going into the cups....any1 can advice why? will test the water after my mum do her landscaping of rocks.

mmz skimmer probably running in...or else water level too high for the skimmer...check to see the recommanded water level for your skimmer...what i did for my bm curve 7 is to wash it with warm water and let it dry before use. break in period approx a day..without doing so from what i read break in period is 5-6 days. Water level around 9 3/8 inches.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/bubble-magus-nac-3-5-review-106819.html

other problem u may have is if u are using epoxy for ur landscaping, got to make sure epoxy cured liao than add the rocks into tank else skimmer going to go berserk again...took me 5 days to solve this.

• SRC Member

btw imho sand bed might as well make it 4 - 6 inch coz 3 inches like not deep sand bed yet not shallow also. currently at work so cant find the thread but recall there was a nice post on the difference between the 2 in the forum recently.

• SRC Member

mmz skimmer probably running in...or else water level too high for the skimmer...check to see the recommanded water level for your skimmer...what i did for my bm curve 7 is to wash it with warm water and let it dry before use. break in period approx a day..without doing so from what i read break in period is 5-6 days. Water level around 9 3/8 inches.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/bubble-magus-nac-3-5-review-106819.html

other problem u may have is if u are using epoxy for ur landscaping, got to make sure epoxy cured liao than add the rocks into tank else skimmer going to go berserk again...took me 5 days to solve this.

i dun use epoxy as the rocks are just stack on top of each other.

I do notice when the sand bed is disturb or new coral is added the skimmer go crazy.

I elevate the skimmers on a plastic. maybe pic is beta to shwo

• SRC Member

btw imho sand bed might as well make it 4 - 6 inch coz 3 inches like not deep sand bed yet not shallow also. currently at work so cant find the thread but recall there was a nice post on the difference between the 2 in the forum recently.

the back is more the 6 inch, the front is 3 maybe

• SRC Member

post-18437-0-21202400-1369068060_thumb.j

you can see tat the 2 skimmers are on top of the water level. adjust the level to the red line. of the skimmer. one is very active the other not so. strange. but lots of foam so i guess they are doing the job

post-18437-0-34675800-1369068079_thumb.j

without anything except rocks and a few corals

What is the bright yellow thingy in ur tank ?? May I know ?

System 45 - 1.5 ft cube with sump

Vortech MP 10

Maxspect Nano Razor 60W

BM Nac 3.5 Skimmer

BM MF70 reactor - Rowaphos

Phosban reactor 150 - NP Biopellet

Hailea chiller HS 28A

Newbie_David

• SRC Member

those are clear coloured stone like thing. very light.

Any1 can help me. There is a yeloow dmasel that i told my mum not to put in the main tank as we suspect it killed 3 other fishes becoz its the biggest and have seen it chasing and bitting other fishes. but my mum (knowing her) just throw it in the main tank. Wanted to give away but ended up thinking how to caught it as there are quite a fair bit of rocks and the fellow hides all the time.

• SRC Member

just a quick question, I have a UVC so decided to use it in the end. unplug the tube to expose the bulb. left it in the rerturn pump compartment. Switch on about 3-4hrs yesterday. Maybe thinking to have a routine instead of turning it on the whole day. Reason why we didnot connect pumps. Coz we are too lazy and the set up is complete so we did not wanna touch the pipes.

I know its harmful if exposed. But if its inside the cabinet with the doors closed should be ok? Next is that it will also kill all the BB in the glass rings in the first and 2nd compartment. Was thinking of using a cover. maybe black plastic of to shield off. Will it work or we should just leave it alone since we do not switch on the whole day. maybe just a couple of hours alternate days?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

2day its a sad day the the house of liquidnoise. the new anenome basically destroyed the whole tank. toppled rocks and the rocks crash quite a fair bit of corals. The owner of the tank now have to remove the rocks slowly to find any surviving corals. took out some big rocks and left surviving small corals on a frag table

post-18437-0-49026000-1376389416.jpg