Food For My Lionfish

Gideon

• SRC Member

Yes, you can and should wean him off live fish.

Try cutting up a market prawn into cubes, and "marinate" with a little cyclopeeze. Then dangle and jiggle this in front of the lionfish to simulate a live object. Arouse his interest. Once he takes the bait, feeding him would be easy from then on.

Make sure you don't cut too much prawns at one go. Best to freeze them and thaw only what you need per feed.

Try to train the fish to eat market prawn over the long run as feeding freshwater fish will cause the fish to die. If you have a wave maker , throw the prawn meat along with the flow to get the lion fish interest to feed.

• 1 month later...

I used to keep lion fish. I start with fw glass shrimp, let the fish go hungry for a few days , then try to feed frozen market pawn. Not successfully then I feed fw glass shrimp. But feed the minimum amount of glass shrimps, just to make it survives not make it full. Try again after a few days later. Just donot make the fish eats too full on fw glass shrimps. After a few weeks, it will start eating market pawn.

I used to keep lion fish. I start with fw glass shrimp, let the fish go hungry for a few days , then try to feed frozen market pawn. Not successfully then I feed fw glass shrimp. But feed the minimum amount of glass shrimps, just to make it survives not make it full. Try again after a few days later. Just donot make the fish eats too full on fw glass shrimps. After a few weeks, it will start eating market pawn.

thanks I'll try it.

I starved mine till it go after my doctor fish, lucky the lion not fast enough haha...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...