zoas and other easy corals for newbies.

Hi guys... had my tank running for a few months and today i added my first batch of corals (zoas) cos many have advised me that its the easiest. However, ive got a few questions and need some general advise.

If i switch off the lights, the polyps for zoas will close. So when i switch it on again, they will open. However if I am to switch off the lights for a longer period of time, say a day, will they die? Or will they just open up once the lights are on. Also about zoas melting....Dont really understand.

Having read a post about target feeding in the forum, How often do i need to do so if im using kent marine coral food.?

Ive hearded some reefers mentioned that zoas give out toxins that have cause their fishes to die? How can these be prevented? I dont want to risk a tank crash.

Since im using LED lighting, is it true that zoas and other corals need the white light to grow and the blue lights are mainly to showcase their colour?

sorry, have been keeping fishes but this is my first time trying to sustain some corals. Need some advise:) thanks

• SRC Member

No expert just some suggestions based on past experience...

They do require a certain amount of light and should not be kept out of the light for a prolong period of time couple of hours to a day should be fine... In fact most of the time they go to "sleep" mode when lights go off at night and that is usually 6-8hrs.

Zoa melting imo points to a stage where they close up Aud degenerates till they finally perish... Normally due to lack of lighting, inadequate parameters and/or conditions..

Zoa dun really target feed la... They pick up small food particles in the water column. how much u feed also depends on how pristine u want ur water to be... Ideally 1 a day or every other day up to once a week should be Fine.

I guess u referring to palytoxin (spelling error) or smthg... But I dun think it cause fishes to die intentionally or regularly... Be careful when u handle them but in all honestly I've never had any issues with Zoa poisoning my fish or me (touchwood).

Generally the zoox in them uses light to make food so white light does help w growth... Blue lights are good for colouration and of course aesthetically more pleasing la...

To end it off, if ur base parameter are good and have good and maintenance practice, Zoa won't give u much issues compared to many other corals

Btw, I'm no expert just sharing what I think I know... :cheers:

• Like 1

:: just a noob ::

They do require a certain amount of light and should not be kept out of the light for a prolong period of time couple of hours to a day should be fine... In fact most of the time they go to "sleep" mode when lights go off at night and that is usually 6-8hrs.

Zoa melting imo points to a stage where they close up Aud degenerates till they finally perish... Normally due to lack of lighting, inadequate parameters and/or conditions..

Zoa dun really target feed la... They pick up small food particles in the water column. how much u feed also depends on how pristine u want ur water to be... Ideally 1 a day or every other day up to once a week should be Fine.

I guess u referring to palytoxin (spelling error) or smthg... But I dun think it cause fishes to die intentionally or regularly... Be careful when u handle them but in all honestly I've never had any issues with Zoa poisoning my fish or me (touchwood).

Generally the zoox in them uses light to make food so white light does help w growth... Blue lights are good for colouration and of course aesthetically more pleasing la...

To end it off, if ur base parameter are good and have good and maintenance practice, Zoa won't give u much issues compared to many other corals

Hmmm thx for the advise! I'm using really low level led lighting by aquazonic so they only open when the white lights are on.. When I off the white light, leaving the blue l

Hmmm thx for the advise! I'm using really low level led lighting by aquazonic so they only open when the white lights are on.. When I off the white light, leaving the blue light only, they close up after a few minutes.. must be because my blue light isn't powerful enough. lol time to upgrade.

I would prefer to target feed so that at least there's a higher chance of them getting my food instead of it getting into the filter and adding to the bioload.

thanks for the advise! Cheers:)

• SRC Member

Your wave maker suppose to provide circulation throughout your tank, no need to specifically point at your Zoa just buy the right food and pour it in... They eat once in a while good enough... Dun have to feed constantly like fishes la...

• SRC Member

zoas dont need target feed, its those non-photosynthetic that is more likely to die of starvation. Sun Corals/ Sea fans etc. The zooplankton will do most of the job of providing food for the zoas. As for the palytoxin, have a decent pair of rubber gloves nearby when handling them. The liquid it secretes when you accidentally tear them apart contains the toxin and will burn your flesh.

sidenote: Advise for new reefers...never boil live rocks if given such advise for whatever reason...the fumes will contain some of that toxin and can be absorbed through inhalation.

Zoas will 'melt' when they are stressed, usually in a high nutrient tank, just like any other corals, maintaining perfect parameters is paramount to a succesful tank

• 2 weeks later...

my zoas are very sensitive n dependant on lights, and I agree that they respond very well to white light. I never target feed, just drops of zooplankton to the tank. now 3 weeks since additional and they started to spread. :D

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

this thread is getting ridiculous! Blood Worm?! Whats next? Feed the zoa MP?! Mods should really just kick and ban these ridiculous members out..... I use to worship this forum, wth?!

Feeding zoanthids are not necessary as they can thrive on photosynthesis alone..

If you really want to feed, feed them small items like phyto or cyclopeeze.. However, note that it will take some time for them to eat the food and you will have to watch out for water quality.

Suggest to just feed your fish heartily and their poop will automatically be food for the zoas..

4 x 2 x 1 low tank

DIY LED

Trying to minimise equipment as much as possible.

Would love to make new friends in the reefing community - PM me!

A short video of my tank on a Sunday morning

Haha thanks for the replies guys :) currently I have given my zoas away, rescaped restarted my tank and now in 3rd week cycle. but I don't think ill feed my zoas anymore, just gonna rely on the food I feed the fish and lighting.. trying to keep nutrients low

Cheers:)