MH bulb

In the order of the highest PAR levels,

As you can see, the bluer the bulb is made, the more PAR is lost.

The 6500k bulb is the best as it is full spectrum as opposed to only having spikes in the blue spectrum like the higher k bulbs. It gives the best growth and possibly colouration (for most corals). Just too bad that its visually too strong in the yellow/green area to the human eye. In reality, the 6500k bulbs have very strong blue spikes, equally more or less the higher k bulbs.

I use the 6500k Iwasakis in combination with 20k and I get a pleasing white and the best of both worlds so my SPS corals will benefit from it.

The higher the wattage of the bulb, the higher the light intensity. Is this what you're asking?

A 6500k bulb is also visually brighter than a 20k bulb if they are both the same wattage.

I have heard great things about this website and I plan on learning as much as possible as well as offering any knowledge that I have of the hobby.

IMO if you're going to go with 20k's you MUST go with 400w unless you plan on keeping all your SPS near the top of your tank. When I used to run 250w Radiums The only corals that would actually keep decent color were the ones that were 6" from the bulb. Now I run 250w DE Ushio 10k's and get better color, growth, and I can place many species from mid to the bottom of the tank and still have nice color.

Here is an old pic of a 250w Radium compared to a 250w 10k XM. Both bulbs are run on a pfo HQI ballast. Looks like the radium isn't even on :rolleyes: Sorry for the poor quality pic

radiumxm.jpg

Deepblue... you saw my lights.... nice blend? ;)

yup...love the look of it :whistle

oh yah, welcome to SRC, Jackson6745. :peace:

Seeing AT's tank does make pple want to try SPS.... :evil::evil: evil evil tank which makes the pockets burn deeper!!!

• SRC Member
The higher the wattage of the bulb, the higher the light intensity. Is this what you're asking?

A 6500k bulb is also visually brighter than a 20k bulb if they are both the same wattage.

Probably I will try on the 6.5K bulb....btw where to get this bulb??

Pls give advise.

:thanks:

:bow: