DI water filter question.

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Hey guys, i just bought a 2nd hand Crystal Pro 3 stage water filter and previous owner told me he use the filter for a few months only and left it untouched but with water inside, this crystal pro comes with a TDS meter hooked on it and when i tried tested it just now. the TDS meter measured my inlet water (water that haven't been through the filter) at 65 - 70 PPM. and the outlet water after passing the filters, ranges from 10 - 20ppm. I know DI should be 0ppm... is there a need for me to replace the Resin inside the filter?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Some resin change colors to indicate that it has exhausted.. u might want to try to reduce the flow as well.. and, u picked it up before i do.. haha..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Thanks for your reply and sorry for beating you to it haha... Dark color means resin exhausted? the flowrate i put it to the slowest already.. slowest ppm reading is 10 - 15.. faster flow and ppm go up to around 20.

• SRC Member

For me.. the new resins is orange brown.. when exhausted it turns black green.. as indication.. anyways.. madpetz do sell refills..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Best to slow the water flow and let the water run for a while before taking the reading to determine if the DI is really exhausted. As you mentioned, when you slow the water, the TDS reading drops, so the resin may not be exhausted yet. Best to use the TDS meter reading and not the colour to determine the status of the resin.

My RO/DI last changed resin and filters 1.5yrs ago and I collect about 20L of water a week.

Hope this helps...

• SRC Member

Thanks for ur advice.. Today I filled up my tank 34L with the water filter at a TDS output of around 10.. I guess it's usable since my tap water tds is 70.. Resin color I can see 1/4 - 1/2 amount is darker color and the rest are orange..

• SRC Member

hmm i think this is the colour when the resin gets into contact with water...

my resin when deplete does not change colour, cant tell by colour

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

hmm i think this is the colour when the resin gets into contact with water...

my resin when deplete does not change colour, cant tell by colour

The resin will only change colour if it is colour changing type. I think Madpetz stopped selling those. I bought mine from them when they had the resin sale about 1.5yrs ago.

• SRC Member

Yes i do use 10 to 15.. once reach 10, it will be shooting fast up to 20 and over. Recommend to change after 10, since it will be shooting up fast. Some ppl like to maintain at zero. up to own indivdual.

And remember your carbon need to be replace too.

• Like 1

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Thanks for ur reply.. Since the crystal pro comes with one carbon and 2 resin should I stick to it? Or change to one sediment one carbon and one resin? Thanks!

• SRC Member

i dun think thers any RO membrane inside.. i didnt know i needed that.. read many DI set up and all uses carbon and DI resin only..

Anyway, today i went to test my DI water freshly mixed with red sea coral pro salt and my API nitrate test kit shows that my DI water nitrate is 0ppm.. didnt have any po4 test kit though.

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an old topic. I was wondering when i should change my DI resins. Considering i am only keeping SPS at the moment. Currently using the crystal pro DI 3 stage, with madpetz resin. Reading is now 3 up from 0 after 2 mths. Is it still considered ok to use for sps dominated tank? Or am i always looking for 0ppm. Changing the resins isn't the issue, but i would like to know what is the limit? Change at 5?

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

depends on your own, some change at the slightest rising of tds, as they want it strictly at 0, to me singapore water is fine, i change my resin when tds exceeds 10. i actually even top up some water with just tap water + seachem prime.