hypo on display tank

• SRC Member

Battling ich in my 4ft fowlr.

started hypo on my display tank.

Today is 3rd day.

Sg 1.085 on refractometer.

Fishes seems ok. Some casualties encountered, but I think it is due to earlier infections.

Ammonia spiked to 0.25, planning for big water change. Just bought 120L drum.

Wish to hear fellow reefers experience on this treatment and what to expect. Most importantly, does ich stay away for good after treatment?

Hypo will take longer to have effect to break the ich cycle. Be prepare to stay in this low hypo level as long as 30-45 days.

During the hypo period , monitor the ph and amonia level. Doesing bacteria will help but some brand of bacteria doesnt work in low sg level.

Lastly, once the hypo treatment finish bring up the sg level really slow which is very important. I loss a few fish previosuly when i rise the sg level too quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Fowlr can use copper. I feel copper easier than hypo although copper is more harsh. I lost a few expensive wrasse thur hypo. And effects on ich will not be as fast as copper too.

do copper kill the live rock and the good bacteria such as bio king media in the tank?

• SRC Member

monitoring both ammonia and PH closely.

Ammonia is hard to keep down. been doing water changes.

any chemicals to keep them in check? does chemipure/ carbon help?

also, i observed some strange sights:

the fishes are still pecking on the rocks..

previously i had pods in my tank. since i'm doing hypo, by now they should have all died.

• SRC Member

mm... actually i kind of like this hypo mode.

this is the first time i'm successful in keeping PBT without ich.

pity this treatment can't last forever.

bro harlequin, thanks for the info. i'm going to keep this treatment for 6 weeks. =)

you can try adding ammonia remover media or dose more bacteria i.e Brightwell MB7 which is quiet effective to bring down Ammonia.

Carbon and chemi-pure is mainly chemical filtration to remove toxic in water, but it will help at this stage. At the initial stage , alot of the living organism in your tank, rock ect will die which might result in a ammonia rise, but once the biological filter stabilize itself it should be ok.

The on-going debate about keeping a long term FOWLR tank in hypo is still questionable. As i saw some reefer from oversea forum kept a FOWLR tank in long term hypo without any ill effect on their fishes, but i am not sure also how true this is? Maybe someone whom had experience can share their though here.

The longest i tried is 6 week at hypo of 1.10 , where the fish is swimming happily that i almost forget the tank is in hypo. :P

you can try adding ammonia remover media or dose more bacteria i.e Brightwell MB7 which is quiet effective to bring down Ammonia.

Carbon and chemi-pure is mainly chemical filtration to remove toxic in water, but it will help at this stage. At the initial stage , alot of the living organism in your tank, rock ect will die which might result in a ammonia rise, but once the biological filter stabilize itself it should be ok.

The on-going debate about keeping a long term FOWLR tank in hypo is still questionable. As i saw some reefer from oversea forum kept a FOWLR tank in long term hypo without any ill effect on their fishes, but i am not sure also how true this is? Maybe someone whom had experience can share their though here.

The longest i tried is 6 week at hypo of 1.10 , where the fish is swimming happily that i almost forget the tank is in hypo. :P

WoW nice!!!

Thanks for the new knowledge.

• SRC Member

Day 5: cleaner wrasse bye bye. Not sure why, it was eating ok. Completed 120L of water change.

The rest of the fishes are doing great. One observation: regal angel's cheek is quite red. Could it be due to ammonia/nitrite? He's breathing normal

• SRC Member

Day 11: been away for cny. Surprisingly water condition improved and all fishes alive.

So im taking another step: added Moorish idol and powder brown tang. So far so good.

Sg at 1.009. Temperature kept at 27 ish to minimise evaporation

Im writing this chronicle for my reference, as well as sharing with other reefer.

• SRC Member

new purchase potter angelfish up the lorry.

the rest seems fine.

my observation: dwarf angelfish does not tolerate hypo as well.

symptom of death: disorientated, swimming upside down, bloated belly

i suspect could be nitrite poisoining. what do you guys think?

been using 5-1 test strips, will purchase a nitrite test kit today to confirm.

as a result, i raised the salinity from 1.008 to 1.0095.

• SRC Member

When i was using hypo, I lost my lineatus and mystery wrasse. Both lost the balance to swim and turn upside down. My black tang was starting to hide in the rocks and refuse to eat. This took place ard 3rd week of treatment. I raise sg back to 1.018 over couple of days and saved the black tang. Perimeters were not measured hence not sure what caused it.

• SRC Member

When i was using hypo, I lost my lineatus and mystery wrasse. Both lost the balance to swim and turn upside down. My black tang was starting to hide in the rocks and refuse to eat. This took place ard 3rd week of treatment. I raise sg back to 1.018 over couple of days and saved the black tang. Perimeters were not measured hence not sure what caused it.

thanks for sharing.

yesterday i managed to save my moorish idol by raising the salinity back to normal.

symptom:

disorientated, swimming upside down, heavy breathing

now it seems fine.

i'm also into my 3rd week of hypo. starting next week will slowly raise back salinity

• SRC Member

day 20: salinity raised to 1.012. skimmer is working again.

i'm doing the salinity raising slowly. target end of month reach 1.020

some fish develop cauliflower (lymphocytis). read that it is viral.

at the same time, i'm monitoring for white spots, which i bet my powder trio (powder blue, powder brown and powder black) will be the 1st to tell me.

will reverse the course (dropping salinity) if discovered any problem

wish me luck guys.

day 20: salinity raised to 1.012. skimmer is working again.

i'm doing the salinity raising slowly. target end of month reach 1.020

some fish develop cauliflower (lymphocytis). read that it is viral.

at the same time, i'm monitoring for white spots, which i bet my powder trio (powder blue, powder brown and powder black) will be the 1st to tell me.

will reverse the course (dropping salinity) if discovered any problem

wish me luck guys.

Good luck !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Since its a Fish only tank, why not use copper or other commercial meds? Stress level is lesser for both fishes and keeper. Unless its for the experience, but If the objective is to control/rid ich, hypo is too long and too much labor. Days vs weeks. My 2 cents.

nice tread for reefer who keep only FOWLR like me :thumbsup:

My 1st Tank (FOWLR)

4.5ft x 2.5ftx 3ft 15mm with Cabinet & Tank

2x Two Little Fishie 150 Reactor (Rowaphos & Rowacarbon)

1x Two Little Fishie 300 Reactor (Biopellet)

Reef Octupos SRO-3000INT Skimmer

Teco Chiller TR20 1/3hp with UV

Vortech MP40ES Wavemotion

JBJ auto top-up

Eheim 1264 Return Pump

9 Stage Ro Water

Neptunes Sys Aqua Controller (PH, ORP, Temp,Conductivity,Salinity and Email Alert)

• 3 months later...