Buying wild zoas from farms.

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Hey fellas,

Would like to start a discussion here.. all along this few months collection zoas for my nano tank, i have always been buying only from reefers.. Thinking that those wild zoas from farms might be full of pest and i do not want to risk this... Went to irwarna today and saw a piece of zoa colony which attracted me so much, i decided to buy it and took the risk.. i did a 5 - 6 mins freshwater dip (using DI water and baking soda to match my marine tank's pH) and used a magnifying glass and a torchlight to scan for nudis, nudis eggs or any other weird stuff.. all i see was just pods and pods and more pods.. so i guess im lucky this time round..

Anyone who bought their zoas or other corals from farm oftenly came with pest, or is it generally safe?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

dips like coral RX? i read online and most say freshwater dip for zoas are enough.. but i also read even coral dip cannot remove those nudi eggs.

The zoas colonies I got from farms do have pests such as zoas eating nudibranchs and spread themselves in my tank. Some have zoa pox which I did not know about until later research. These days, I dip all zoas and corals in Coral RX before putting them into the main tank. I find hitchhikers at the bottom of the dip containers but most are alive. That means that some pests may still survive the dip and cling on to corals and into the main tank after the dip. Anyhow thats my experience with coral dips.

The zoas colonies I got from farms do have pests such as zoas eating nudibranchs and spread themselves in my tank. Some have zoa pox which I did not know about until later research. These days, I dip all zoas and corals in Coral RX before putting them into the main tank. I find hitchhikers at the bottom of the dip containers but most are alive. That means that some pests may still survive the dip and cling on to corals and into the main tank after the dip. Anyhow thats my experience with coral dips.
Agreed on that. What I did was shake it a few time and it will drop. The dip gie them a shock and a good shake helps a lot.

• SRC Member

read on some forum with a guide.. 5 mins dips in FW, 1 min shaking the zoas in the water as hard as you can so that any pest will drop out.. i only see dirt on the bottom of the container which i use to dip the zoas.. no other pest found though.

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

have heard from a guru that no need to dip RX.. freshwater enough to get rid of most zoa pest.. Mine opened 2nd day after the FW dip with hard shaking.

• SRC Member

The last time, I dip the zoas into coral RX and the zoas refused to open for weeks. I threw away one colony. The paly seems to survive the dip.

I use Coral RX on zoas, sps and almost anything taht I wanna put in my tank....so far no issue at all.

If the zoas refused to open, might have already have pest infested or other reason.....definitely not due to Rx.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• 10 months later...
  • SRC Member

I need help !!!

I have introduced wild zoas into my tank before I found this thread. Now I'm frighten !!!

Should I take out all my zoas and dip them in Coral RX? All of them have been opening well for weeks. Is that a sign that taking them out may not be necessary?

I also have a few yellow wrasse helping to keep some of the pest under control.

• SRC Member

Maybe too late. Wild zoos bound to have pest. Nudis most common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

I Do Buy I Use DI Water 2Minutes..After That its into Revive by two little fishes..works great..But With certain types they dont do well with FW Dip..Just Revive would be good..What type was it? That attracted you ? Haha must be sweet looking

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

So how? Any suggestion?

Actually its a hit or miss..someyimes got and dont..but for now dip them and moniter ..also read up all zoa pest so you can ID the.otherwise just keep tabs on them..i go diving and pick zoas..all are FW Dipped-Revive Dipped -and into Qt with Wrassees..After that its to the DT

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Actually its a hit or miss..someyimes got and dont..but for now dip them and moniter ..also read up all zoa pest so you can ID the.otherwise just keep tabs on them..i go diving and pick zoas..all are FW Dipped-Revive Dipped -and into Qt with Wrassees..After that its to the DT

You very lucky lay can have a qt tank. :)

• SRC Member

I have a crew of 4 wrasse to help manage zoo pests. No dips whatsoever and all the wild colonies are doing fine. Every time I put in a new wild colony the wrasse will circle them constantly for a month or so. I think I may have been lucky as well but I think the wrasse play an important role in managing pests too

• SRC Member
I have a crew of 4 wrasse to help manage zoo pests. No dips whatsoever and all the wild colonies are doing fine. Every time I put in a new wild colony the wrasse will circle them constantly for a month or so. I think I may have been lucky as well but I think the wrasse play an important role in managing pests too
Bro, What are the type of wrasse u have?

• SRC Member

Bro,What are the type of wrasse u have?

1 canary wrasse, 1 rock mover wrasse(supposedly not reefsafe but I don't really care as he touches nothing), and 2 red coris wrasses. The rockmover eats whatever he can find, including bristle worms and bristle stars, the canary eats most pests and idk what the coris eat but they behave like the canary and stay near new zoo colonies so I assume they eat pests too