Tank and sump

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I'm new here. Very interested in setting up a marine setup. I currently have a 3x1.5x1.5 10mm tank on a cabinet. I was wondering can I reuse? Where do I buy an overflow box? Else I may consider a brand new 322 tank and 2 ft sump with drilled holes. Where can I buy this plus the 322 cabinet? Cheaper alternatives to making these tanks will be greatly appreciated. Cheers all.

• SRC Member

10mm thickness quite risky as salt water is more heavy then fresh water. doing of tank you can get from our sponser like aquarium iwarna, aquarium artist madpetz etc etc. or you can sourse from external source if you have.

• SRC Member

IMO, i think 10mm is fine. go for 12mm if you want to play safe. make sure you cabinet can handle the thick glass, heavy water + heavy rocks/sands and also your sump tank.

Overflow box got a few brand, mainly Skimz and reef octopus.. can DIY using PVC tubes too.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

You could use your existing tank. Should not be a problem. But since you want to venture into the hobby, as well start off with a bigger tank (more flexibility for you in future for change, more room for mistakes too).

For tank and cabinet, can try N30.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bro, sounds like you are in my shoes 4 years ago. I converted my freshwater tank into a FOWLR setup. The tank I had comes with a filter chamber which is operated by a powerhead. It also comes with a built in light hood.

Obviously, this built is not suitable for saltwater life to thrive. So what I did was..

1) installed a 1800 dymax powerhead in the filter chamber to push water into a pre filter(filter sponge) --> canister filter(filter media such as bio balls etc) --> chiller --> tank

2) cut, remove and modify the tank hood. I removed the NO floro lamps and installed some LED lightings.

So, if you intend to convert freshwater to saltwater, you have to do some modifications or improvications to try to provide an enviroment for your livestock to thrive.

Tot I share abit. Good luck with your new setup.post-22727-13667328732065_thumb.jpgpost-22727-13667329131772_thumb.jpgpost-22727-13667329571174_thumb.jpgpost-22727-13667329928052_thumb.jpg