Need advice on GSP

Patrick

blow off the dirt accmulate over the gsp, and observe over a week.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member
Need advice whether this GSP is dea or should leave it alone. Has not opened for two weeks. Thanks
Did that yesterday. There is a piece of purple stuff grown on top of the purple mat, will tear it off and blow off the detritus one more time. Thanks bro

What is the purple stuff that you talked about? Are you sure it's not new growth? Did you move it or change anything or do anything unusual prior to the closing?

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member
What is the purple stuff that you talked about? Are you sure it's not new growth? Did you move it or change anything or do anything unusual prior to the closing?
Hi bro thanks for your reply. Initially a fe polyps opened but after all closed. I moved it to another place and it didn't open for 2 weeks. I just dipped it in distilled water to get rid of detritus and blew it with wavemaker...hopefully it will open. The purple stuff yes I think it's part of the purple mat but turning light purple.

• SRC Member

GSP, once its mat turns to a deep purple color and turns papery, means its a goner.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Patrick,

The mat is turning light purple or dark purple? The gsp new growth is light purple and is an extension of the purple mat. It's good if it's indeed growing although I doubt it's growing so soon after introduction. Don't tear the new growth off unless you want to grow the frag elsewhere.

In your case, I think you subjected your gsp to too much stress within a short time ie. you moved it and dipped in distilled water. They don't like too much disturbance.

When newly introduced in the aquarium, find a spot with good light and flow and leave it there. It's common for it to remain closed for days to occasionally weeks, but once it gets used to the new conditions, it would gradually and eventually open up fully. If you move it thereafter, do expect it to close up again for a couple of days. You can try dosing iodine to see if it helps.

Good luck.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member
Patrick, The mat is turning light purple or dark purple? The gsp new growth is light purple and is an extension of the purple mat. It's good if it's indeed growing although I doubt it's growing so soon after introduction. Don't tear the new growth off unless you want to grow the frag elsewhere. In your case, I think you subjected your gsp to too much stress within a short time ie. you moved it and dipped in distilled water. They don't like too much disturbance. When newly introduced in the aquarium, find a spot with good light and flow and leave it there. It's common for it to remain closed for days to occasionally weeks, but once it gets used to the new conditions, it would gradually and eventually open up fully. If you move it thereafter, do expect it to close up again for a couple of days. You can try dosing iodine to see if it helps. Good luck.
Test your KH.. KH also play a part for GSP..
Thanks bros for your advice. Appreciate it.

• SRC Member

we had one huge pcs last time. tear off a few to give them away. the polyps didnt open up until maybe 3 weeks den once it open there is no stopping. BTW, my mum when to wash it and it all died! so just leave it alone and from wat we experience it shd be fine. so far its the hardest coral! just leave it alone, high flow and light. they shd start popping

• SRC Member
we had one huge pcs last time. tear off a few to give them away. the polyps didnt open up until maybe 3 weeks den once it open there is no stopping. BTW, my mum when to wash it and it all died! so just leave it alone and from wat we experience it shd be fine. so far its the hardest coral! just leave it alone, high flow and light. they shd start popping
Thanks bro. I left it alone in another tank will update progress when and if it opens up :)

• 1 year later...

GSP ... One of the easiest coral to keep ... It is normal for GSP to not open for sometimes weeks when they are introduced to a new tank. I have GSP that did not open for quite a while and had algae grow in them and then suddenly open with new polyps .. Y new ? Choz they are smaller than when they were initially bought .

So just put them where u want them and just let nature do it's course .. An area with good flow is good.

Stairway to Heaven

I bought one GSP from pasir ris farm last Sat. None of the polyps open up for 3 days. Only a few few polyps opened up on Tue under a full spectrum par38. This evening probably 20+ polyps open up. Probably need another week or 2 before the full plate of polyps open up.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38