VHO

wolfie

• SRC Member

I'm toyin' ard wif the idea of having VHOs in my tank. Anyone has 'em? If so, gimme ur comments. Spent some time online searching for ballasts and icecap seems to be the one of the best option. It may b the coolest ballast but it sure burns my pocket. Any suggestions on a suitable ballast?

:rolleyes::erm::rolleyes:

• SRC Member

mojo joe joe,

VHO, as far as I know, is not available locally. They give the nicest and brightest actinic 03 tubes to supplement MH. Icecap is the most reliable and widely used VHO ballast in US. Being an eballast it can drive any FL or PL tube, be it NO, HO, VHO or T5. So far no problem with the icecap ballast after 3.5 years of use. VHO runs very hot but the ballast remains cool.

Why do you want to use VHO? Not worth the cost and trouble. I'll recommend it only for supplementing MH.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Arcadia has some pretty nice looking luminaires but T5 like any other FL or PL lighting system can be easily DIYed. There are a few brands of T5 other than Arcadia, there's Nava, D&D Aquarium Solutions, STM, etc.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

:blink: didn't noe got so many other brands ard... aniwae, here's the reply frm the guys @ Arcadia.

"Our distributer in Singapore is "Yi-Hu Fish Farm Trading Ltd."Their telephone number is 06766-7087. The e-mail address is alvin_yap@qianhu.com They do now have stock of the T5 range, and so should be able to help you. Best regards, Kevin chambers Arcadia"

hope it helps those who're interested in T5s... :D

• SRC Member

I'm quite interested in using T5 when my supply of VHO tubes run out. BTW, Arcadia has the most real looking Actinic T5, the other brands only seem to have blue tubes.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

My VHO supply runs out in about 8 years time. Are you going to wait?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I can get my hands on Quicktronic High Output T5 e-ballast from UK if they are not available in Singapore.

GBP 22.70 for Single tube 24, 39, 54W ballast

GBP24.60 for Dual tube 24, 39, 54W ballast

GBP 7.74 for a pair of non-waterproof end caps w/ 2m of cable

Shipping will be extra, maybe GBP 10. Will get exact quote when item is sent out.

Don't want to ship tubes cause it's too messy.

Again, I must stress I do not do this for profit.

For your info:

Tube Size Wattage

21.1/2" (546mm) ---24

33 1/4" (844mm) ---39

45 1/4" (1149mm) --54

57" (1449 mm) ------80

post-36-1093875548.jpg

I'll show you some pix of a German SPS tank using half T-5 and half MH later.

You'll see the obvious difference and you'll be surprised!

The higher wattage T5s (I think there are the 2nd generation bulbs) are able to provide the same 'reach' as MHs.... the european aquarists are slowly moving to t-5s to reduce electricity bills and reduce heat.

However, you will lose the 'glitter lines' which makes your reef tank more beautiful (just like sunlight) as MHs are point source lights.

• SRC Member

Having a reef tank, to me, is about beauty and ascetics and I find the glitter lines that MH provide very pleasing and natural.

Keeping a healthy tank and the sense of accomplishment is a close second.

MH light is proven to be effective in keeping and frowing healthy specimens.

I personall won't consider switching to T5 because it has the same reach as MH or that it saves heat electricity bills.

If cost was a concern (as long as its not exorbant), then I would never have taken up this hobby.

I want a beautiful tank to look at, and if it was purely about keeping healthy organisms, then we would all switch to keeping corals in plastic tubs and never consider using starphire glass.

• SRC Member

The 2' T5 is already HO, NO FL only gives 18-20W.

Any FL or PL is better than MH when it comes to light production (i.e. lumen/watt) since they are more energy efficient, but they require more space and lack intensity to punch light deeper. MH will not be replaced by FL or PL simply because it's a point source while the latter are diffused light.

Ja wohl! I have enough to last me a long time.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Price from Qian hu on T5 tubes:

S/No Item Description Prices$

1 FMW 24T5, 24W, 550MM, Marine White S$ 50.00

2 FMW 39T5, 39W, 850MM, Marine White S$ 55.00

3 FMW 54T5, 54W, 1150MM, Marine White S$ 59.00

4 FMB 24T5, 24W, 550MM, Marine Blue S$ 62.00

5 FMB 39T5, 39W, 850MM, Marine Blue S$ 67.00

6 FMB 54T5, 54W, 1150MM, Marine Blue S$ 73.00