Bio pellets

kwkeet

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

first time I using bio pellets in a fluid reactor with a pump rating 2000 litre/hr. Anyone expert in bio pellet can help?

1] Why the pellets cluster together?

2] Is the pump too strong?

3] A lot of mirco bubbles now in display tank?

Which FR and pellets are u using? NP are lighter this it shouldn't have problem tumbling up and down. TLF NPX is heavier. Using 2000 pump also can't get it to tumble much.. If the pellets cluster together maybe that e pump is not strong enuff. Is ur FR very tall? Where is ur exit hose? Pointing towards ur return pump? Even so, it shouldn't create bubbles.. Could e bubbles come from ur skimmer instead?

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

Which FR and pellets are u using? NP are lighter this it shouldn't have problem tumbling up and down. TLF NPX is heavier. Using 2000 pump also can't get it to tumble much.. If the pellets cluster together maybe that e pump is not strong enuff. Is ur FR very tall? Where is ur exit hose? Pointing towards ur return pump? Even so, it shouldn't create bubbles.. Could e bubbles come from ur skimmer instead?

I am using skimz FR [ I think not a proper FR]. Using NP pellets also it is tumbling up and down and mostly floating on top and cluster together.

The FR is about one feet tall.Exit hose is direct to skimmer before going to return pump.

I am using skimz FR [ I think not a proper FR]. Using NP pellets also it is tumbling up and down and mostly floating on top and cluster together. The FR is about one feet tall.Exit hose is direct to skimmer before going to return pump.
What's the FR model? Does it have a control valve? Have a picture? How long have you been running them?

it is common for bio pallet to be cluster together especially running for awhile. This is due to the bacteria film which it produce when it melts.

You need to wash the sponge on top of the FR regularly to prevent it from chocking or try out some other Bio pallet FR like the inductor which prevent such issues.

Hi bro,

first time I using bio pellets in a fluid reactor with a pump rating 2000 litre/hr. Anyone expert in bio pellet can help?

1] Why the pellets cluster together?

2] Is the pump too strong?

3] A lot of mirco bubbles now in display tank?

1) very normal for running bio pallet FR, could be bacteria film that build up and cluster together, it could also be too many of bio pellet running in the chamber.

2) if you are using FM100, then the flow rate of 2000litre is sufficient. is your pellet tumbling well?

3) check your pump for FR placement. The pump should be at the last compartment in the sump, same as your return pump and not at the same compartment of your skimmer. The outlet of the FR should be place near the skimmer intake.

Lastly, overtime with regular cleaning and maintaining the FR chamber and sponge to ensure effective operation.

IMO, skimz FR not very optimum for bio pallet operation because of its design, like what Harlequin Mania bro say try FR inductor if this problem keep occurring.

You may want to try JNS Bio-Pellets Reactor, saw them in actions recently - superb.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/01/jns-omega-biopellet-reactor-vertical-churning/

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

it is common for bio pallet to be cluster together especially running for awhile. This is due to the bacteria film which it produce when it melts.

You need to wash the sponge on top of the FR regularly to prevent it from chocking or try out some other Bio pallet FR like the inductor which prevent such issues.

Ok will take note.

• SRC Member

What's the FR model? Does it have a control valve? Have a picture? How long have you been running them?

Can`t remember the model last time I use it for running rowa.

No there is no control valve. Got take a video but don't know how to post here.

Just run for two days only.

• SRC Member

1) very normal for running bio pallet FR, could be bacteria film that build up and cluster together, it could also be too many of bio pellet running in the chamber.

2) if you are using FM100, then the flow rate of 2000litre is sufficient. is your pellet tumbling well?

3) check your pump for FR placement. The pump should be at the last compartment in the sump, same as your return pump and not at the same compartment of your skimmer. The outlet of the FR should be place near the skimmer intake.

Lastly, overtime with regular cleaning and maintaining the FR chamber and sponge to ensure effective operation.

IMO, skimz FR not very optimum for bio pallet operation because of its design, like what Harlequin Mania bro say try FR inductor if this problem keep occurring.

1] I only put 250ml in it is a lot?

2] Yes the pellet is tumbling well.

3] Ok will change pump position to the return pump compartment.

Can`t remember the model last time I use it for running rowa.

No there is no control valve. Got take a video but don't know how to post here.

Just run for two days only.

Upload the video on Youtube first then post the link, its the easiest method :)

• SRC Member

Upload the video on Youtube first then post the link, its the easiest method :)

These morning found those cluster pellet sink into the bottom and tumbling with the other pellet. But still didn't see any cloudy in to display tank.