using pellets to feed corals

liquidnoise

• SRC Member

Yesterday, just for the fun of it and to experiment. We decided to try dropping a few pellets before we sleep to some corals like plate, jewel, elegance, hammers, basically those with mouth.

We saw one jewel opens up and slowing closing back as if it is trapping the pellets. The RTBA "glued" the pellets together and slowing putting in its mouth. the process took to long to see so we went to bed.

Any1 tried? a while ago when we first started out we crash tortoise pellets to powdery form to make them sink just to feed the fishes. But during those days corals like Goni swells after a while....hmm.

We also tried to squat brine shrimps directly infront of the corals but the process takes too much trouble as I have to literally inject the brine shrimps in a small pipe and blow it. after tat my mouth taste salty...call it a blow job for the corals.

• SRC Member

Sometimes when my pellets dropped onto my bubble coral, it will grab and put into it's mouth. I think they liked it :P

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

• SRC Member
Yesterday, just for the fun of it and to experiment. We decided to try dropping a few pellets before we sleep to some corals like plate, jewel, elegance, hammers, basically those with mouth. We saw one jewel opens up and slowing closing back as if it is trapping the pellets. The RTBA "glued" the pellets together and slowing putting in its mouth. the process took to long to see so we went to bed. Any1 tried? a while ago when we first started out we crash tortoise pellets to powdery form to make them sink just to feed the fishes. But during those days corals like Goni swells after a while....hmm. We also tried to squat brine shrimps directly infront of the corals but the process takes too much trouble as I have to literally inject the brine shrimps in a small pipe and blow it. after tat my mouth taste salty...call it a blow job for the corals.
Haha bro why cant u just use a syringe instead.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

My lobo takes L size pellets readily whenever e feeding tentacles are out.

Here's a video

mine elegance does the same except its in the case.

sweet....did u think of using MP also? we do not really wanna use MP as if uneatted spoils the water faster.

• SRC Member

Haha bro why cant u just use a syringe instead.

yes we used the syringe at first but tot maybe easier not to stretch the hand in....so we use the syringe to inject into a long pipe. but the brine shrimps do not fall out on the other end. so we need to BLOW to push the shirmps out directed at the corals

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

today again we feed MP, damn shiok to see but this time the horde or fishes all come snatching the MP from the Yuma and elegance. lucky my 2 anenome are fast eaters.

Pics: cannot really take the full eating process as i was trying to fend off the fishes until the corals eats up.

post-18437-0-82277500-1376151689_thumb.j

post-18437-0-82961100-1376151701_thumb.j

post-18437-0-84997600-1376151711_thumb.j

Any1 have a solution? my Yuma didnt get a chance to eat....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been feeding my scoly, duncan, cynarina, acans, chalice, plates with fauna marin pellets for awhile, its easy, convenient and fun... All the corals responded very well to the pellets and i believe the pellets are more nutritious than a piece of market prawn. Yes, fishes are gonna snatch the pellets all the time... So i bought a long pipe blaster thingy from AM, first, its long enuff so my hands wont be wet, secondly, its transparent so the fish wont be spooked the first time i feed them. And it comes with two tubes, a long one and a short one, what i did was to heat the lower part of the longer tube over the stove then slightly bend the tube to an angle. This really helps if u are trying to reach the harder to reach areas, like a cave. Lastly.... The device also acts as a cane which i will use to shoo away any fishes trying to snatch food from the corals... Its always a little easier if u feed the fish first, or feed the corals when lights off.

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

I have been feeding my scoly, duncan, cynarina, acans, chalice, plates with fauna marin pellets for awhile, its easy, convenient and fun... All the corals responded very well to the pellets and i believe the pellets are more nutritious than a piece of market prawn. Yes, fishes are gonna snatch the pellets all the time... So i bought a long pipe blaster thingy from AM, first, its long enuff so my hands wont be wet, secondly, its transparent so the fish wont be spooked the first time i feed them. And it comes with two tubes, a long one and a short one, what i did was to heat the lower part of the longer tube over the stove then slightly bend the tube to an angle. This really helps if u are trying to reach the harder to reach areas, like a cave. Lastly.... The device also acts as a cane which i will use to shoo away any fishes trying to snatch food from the corals... Its always a little easier if u feed the fish first, or feed the corals when lights off.

We did the same and the end of the pipe we use a "pump" those tat u pour oil or soya with. but becoz of the pressure, there is no way to pump the food out of the tude. how do you do it?

Hi guys, this is what i am using, it was straight before i heat bent it, works like a charm! Available at AM, expensive though, $18(i think) for two tubes... Mayb bcos its branded, its two little fishes. Hope this help!

post-20350-0-43687400-1377093562_thumb.j

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Hi guys, this is what i am using, it was straight before i heat bent it, works like a charm! Available at AM, expensive though, $18(i think) for two tubes... Mayb bcos its branded, its two little fishes. Hope this help!
I saw this. Never buy it as it was not cheap. Is it effective?

• SRC Member

we have very similar concept. but the problem to pumping the food out into the corals. i am guessing its becoz of the internal pressure within the tube when its in the water

I saw this. Never buy it as it was not cheap. Is it effective?
I find it very useful, comes in 2 lengths so can use for different depths, imo, bending it makes it better. Another thing is that its very light, so u wont "tremble" when u try to target feed the awkward positioned corals... Haha

we have very similar concept. but the problem to pumping the food out into the corals. i am guessing its becoz of the internal pressure within the tube when its in the water
Probably... What food are u feeding with ur tube? Could be that its clogged up inside the tube? Is the pump connecting the tubes airtight? I have the opposite problem, i use pellets and pellet tends to be heavier, so the pellets tends to flow out even if im pumping it... But that was fixed with a heat bent.

Used to use tube to feed. But for me, water still drip on the floor n wife will nagnagnag.... So now don't care just use syringe and put my hand in the tank since I always get the same end result........ nagnagnag from wife

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...