Useful information on DIY LED lighting

pinglow

I had plan to DIY my own LED light. Before, I could not find any useful information on LED DIY so I dare not try. Later on I found a video explaining very detail and precise information on how to DIY. To a noob like me, the video was very well made and well explained. He even teach you how to solder.

This is the video

There are 3 or 4 parts. After watching I think I can attempt to try. I am not logging my progress here. Just sharing the info. Like many useful info I got from this forum, hopefully someone will find it useful.

:)

Where can I buy those materials such as LED, frame, ballast, power supply, etc.... Thanks.

You should be able to find all these at sim lim square.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

anyone gotten meanwell driver from sm system control before ?

I bought from eBay from this seller which is cheaper...

http://stores.ebay.com.sg/sure-display/MeanWell-High-Power-LED-Driver-/_i.html?_fsub=4116742011&_lns=1&_sid=219173121&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

thks rocky , you meant sm system control sell more expensive ? by the way i am looking for the eln dimmable series

Yes, SM sell much more ex than some US online shop but shipping fee is the killer so only worth if you buy a few pcs else sm is still the best if you just need only 1 pc.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks for the advice.

It is for freshwater aquarium non planted.

Any good recommendations ?

Do you know how to solder? And you need to have good knowledge before you buy smd. It's not easy to choose and know what you are getting works. It's best that you buy those with pcb. Pcbs for those boards are like 10cents of the total cost max

Nice video, i also plan to diy my led but not those cree type, intend to go for SMD led. But i got a big issue.... I don't know how to calculate the watts, amp .. totally zero knowledge.. Any expert here can help ?

A quick estimate would be about 1.5A per meter of LED strip. If you are using about 2 meters for a 6 ft tank, get a 3A adapter which they sell and plug and play. They can help you solder if you don't know. Must importantly you need a good heat sink or they will burn out in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• SRC Member

A quick estimate would be about 1.5A per meter of LED strip. If you are using about 2 meters for a 6 ft tank, get a 3A adapter which they sell and plug and play. They can help you solder if you don't know. Must importantly you need a good heat sink or they will burn out in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

isn't those 3A adapters the high voltage type? Quite dangerous compared to high current low voltage power sources leh... And also LEDs need constant current to last their full lifespan, and the 3A adapter may not produce constant current in the long run

isn't those 3A adapters the high voltage type? Quite dangerous compared to high current low voltage power sources leh... And also LEDs need constant current to last their full lifespan, and the 3A adapter may not produce constant current in the long run

It's 12v 3A. It's the current that kills not the voltage. The adapter is pretty well regulated already. You can also pay more for a better regulated power supply if you want to use the LED for the next 50000 hours? Some strips have Zener voltage regulators on them hence ensuring a constant current to your LEDs. No worries.

• SRC Member

It's 12v 3A. It's the current that kills not the voltage. The adapter is pretty well regulated already. You can also pay more for a better regulated power supply if you want to use the LED for the next 50000 hours? Some strips have Zener voltage regulators on them hence ensuring a constant current to your LEDs. No worries.

oh ok 12v is quite safe. And that "current will kill you" is subjective (V=IR, so you need a voltage high enough before the current can kill you). If you're using strips then I guess it's ok. They're meant to work like that. But if it's pure SMD then it would be a lot better to have a constant current source :) with 12v 3A you have 36w of power (P=IT, P=12x3=36) assuming that each LED strip is around 5w per meter, you can put around 7 meters of strip LEDs, but there should be 6 meters if you are going to include the wattage across the resistors.

oh ok 12v is quite safe. And that "current will kill you" is subjective (V=IR, so you need a voltage high enough before the current can kill you). If you're using strips then I guess it's ok. They're meant to work like that. But if it's pure SMD then it would be a lot better to have a constant current source :) with 12v 3A you have 36w of power (P=IT, P=12x3=36) assuming that each LED strip is around 5w per meter, you can put around 7 meters of strip LEDs, but there should be 6 meters if you are going to include the wattage across the resistors.

Ehhh.. dont understand. . How I wish I got those knowledge. Guess I gotta stick to plug and play.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

just to confirm do they sell 1 quantity ? email them about how much 1 cost , reply me about company name and how many quantity ,etc .....

SM sells small quantity...aside from the super X price quoted....another thing is the lead time....

I bought mine from online and overall i would say that with the price quoted from SM, i can get 2 pcs price..

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• 3 months later...