Is it possible?

What does your tank "look" like? I cycled for six weeks before I added my first two nemos. There was a HUGE brown diatom bloom that covered EVERYTHING inside the tank. The reason was because of MASS DIE-OFF inside the LR, which led to the bloom 1-2 weeks later. You could hand remove sheets of this stuff! But don't! Diatoms are a symptom not cause and are helping consume nutrients in the water.

If you added wild LR, chances are that you will soon have a diatom bloom. Once the bloom subsides ON ITS OWN - then it's probably time to add a FEW fish. Keep in mind, your tank is never fully "cycled." The bacteria population of a stable, 2-nemo tank is different from a stable, 20-nemo tank regardless of water volume. If you add bio-load or nutrients (dead animals, too much food, etc), your tank will "mini-cycle" and grow more bacteria until it stabilizes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does your tank "look" like? I cycled for six weeks before I added my first two nemos. There was a HUGE brown diatom bloom that covered EVERYTHING inside the tank. The reason was because of MASS DIE-OFF inside the LR, which led to the bloom 1-2 weeks later. You could hand remove sheets of this stuff! But don't! Diatoms are a symptom not cause and are helping consume nutrients in the water.

If you added wild LR, chances are that you will soon have a diatom bloom. Once the bloom subsides ON ITS OWN - then it's probably time to add a FEW fish. Keep in mind, your tank is never fully "cycled." The bacteria population of a stable, 2-nemo tank is different from a stable, 20-nemo tank regardless of water volume. If you add bio-load or nutrients (dead animals, too much food, etc), your tank will "mini-cycle" and grow more bacteria until it stabilizes.

My tank had been cycling for about 3 weeks now. The 2 of my LR now became very dark brown. And one of them has lots of white and greeny things growing on it..

• SRC Member

tank cycling will normally take about 4 weeks. but for my case I left my tank cycling for 6 weeks before doing water changes.

no live stocks were added for the first 6 weeks. do not rush into adding any live stocks.

just let the tank cycle properly, this will reduce a lot of problems in the later stage of your reef tank.