My first pico tank

Clement Chen

• SRC Member

I am not very experienced and should have probably started with a bigger tank, but i did not do that much research before buying and my budget is very tight. Any advice is greatly appreciated

So here are the specs of my tank-

Tank model: Rainbow T200

Size: 20cm x 20cm x 26.5 cm. So its about 10L

Skimmer: Dymax IQ skimmer (i know i probably dont need this, but being a new reefer i think it is safer to have in case i do anything wrong, eg. overfeeding)

Lights: PAR38 3B 2W (i have no idea what kind of whites and blue they are, or what voltage, it wasn't stated on the box. But it gives off kind of a purplish look, anyone have any ideas)

Filter media: 1st compartment, Black filter sponge that came with it, with chaeto in the first compartment, with black sticker off. Using the stock lights for the chaeto. 2nd compartment, Skimmer. 3rd compartment return pump and ceramic rings

Fan: Dymax w4. (Going to upgrade to a w5)

ATO: Tubby ATO (still in progress, waiting for a smaller float switch to arrive)

Live rock: I have no idea how heavy is my rocks

post-23012-0-04671300-1379478138_thumb.j

Parameters are all normal, havent tested for Nitrate and Mg as dont have the kits yet. Temp can go from 27-28 degrees

Life stock:

1x Clownfish

1x Fire shrimp

1x Turbo

1x Narcissus snail

1x tube worm

Corals,

Eagle eye zoa

Some unknown green and orange zoa, (if can help id will be great)

Goniopora

Open brain

GSP

1 small frag of green monti

Was going with the open more bonsai looking scape.

post-23012-0-96590700-1379478110_thumb.j

post-23012-0-40181400-1379478120_thumb.j

post-23012-0-34580100-1379478129_thumb.j

Am thinking of adding some mushrooms at the bottom and maybe a starfish (any advice?)

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Forgot to add have been running for about 2 months already.

Having been feeding daily with pellets, and once a week mysis shrimp.

Dosing with marinium ionic balance and liquid kh a few drops each weekly (sold to me by the lfs)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

Looking good, bro. Hope u like the green monti.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Simple and nice. What's your nitrate level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have no idea, I havent gotten round to getting the test kit yet due to budge constraints. the whole set up cost me more the i had expected. After getting one item i just had to keep going. its like a drug.. haha.

But it should be quite low after adding the chaeto, used to have diatom growing about a week ago, after adding chaeto, i dont see any.

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

I spoke too soon, I spotted some small red/purplish web like growth on one e rocks, have removed it. I think it is cyano. I have removed it, should I be worried?

I might have to reduce the lighting, it is on 2pm to 12pm and in the day it is getting some indirect sunlight as it near the windows. Might have to get some phosphate test kit as well as a nitrate test kit. Maybe on my next pay..

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

I spoke too soon, I spotted some small red/purplish web like growth on one e rocks, have removed it. I think it is cyano. I have removed it, should I be worried? I might have to reduce the lighting, it is on 2pm to 12pm and in the day it is getting some indirect sunlight as it near the windows. Might have to get some phosphate test kit as well as a nitrate test kit. Maybe on my next pay..
2pm to 12pm? Or do u mean 2pm to 12am?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Haha oops 2pm to 12am.. so about 10hrs. So added with the sunlight about 16hrs of lights.. which i think is too much
Maybe try reducing to 8 hrs and monitor.

• SRC Member

my temperature has been at 27.6 degrees celsius. even after upgrading my fan. now like 2 times more evaporation but e temp still so high..

looking into getting a small chiller. like a hailea 100A. any recommendations for a tight budget?

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

my temperature has been at 27.6 degrees celsius. even after upgrading my fan. now like 2 times more evaporation but e temp still so high.. looking into getting a small chiller. like a hailea 100A. any recommendations for a tight budget?
Maybe can check with Gemsurfs whether have the thermoelectric chiller for sale? Shd be gd for nano setup like urs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Some updates, added a few zoas and yellow polyps from fellow reefers

10325101173_9db27014f3.jpg

Also added an anemone crab, it likes to hide under my brain coral and chill there

10324949096_4b6b75b17a.jpg

Temperature on certain days is up to 28 degrees but seems to be doing fine. Had some cyno but after adding in carbon seems to disappear, still have diatom growing here and there. Need to clean glass every few days

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

Haha would love too, got a small green monti cap, the colour seems to be holding, but i do have problems with salinity swings as with the NSW and the diatom shows nutrients in the water. i removed the chaeto as it started turning brown, maybe not enough water movement

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

Haha would love too, got a small green monti cap, the colour seems to be holding, but i do have problems with salinity swings as with the NSW and the diatom shows nutrients in the water. i removed the chaeto as it started turning brown, maybe not enough water movement

Great to hear that the green monti is holding its color. Not to worry about diatoms as they will go away once your tank stabilize, ie no3 & po4, silicate levels dropped.